When Will Andre Be Andre again?

I am kind of in disbelief how you guys are soo adamant that Andre is staying. I feel that his learning curve will be quick, and once his shot falls with more consistency, Andre's numbers will skyrocket. Could easily see him scoring just about if not over 20 points per game in the B1G with our easier than normal schedule and assuming he has a better grasp of the system.

I am kind of in disbelief how you guys are soo adamant that Andre is staying. I feel that his learning curve will be quick, and once his shot falls with more consistency, Andre's numbers will skyrocket. Could easily see him scoring just about if not over 20 points per game in the B1G with our easier than normal schedule and assuming he has a better grasp of the system.

I really don't think it's worth it for Andre to leave. He's small and not a true point guard, so he doesn't fit very well into the NBA. Might as well wait another year to see if he can get into the 1st round.

Andre has put his education his top priority, as proven by his success in Carlson. He will be here for the duration of his career. He is no dummy.

I really don't think it's worth it for Andre to leave. He's small and not a true point guard, so he doesn't fit very well into the NBA. Might as well wait another year to see if he can get into the 1st round.

I love Andre. Awesome college talent. He is not a great ball-handler at this point. He is very tentative when running the point - even this year (Tubby hangover?). He is too small to be a 2 guard in the NBA. My opinion is that he has zero chance of declaring after this year.

These guys: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Andre-Hollins-41505/stats/ have him at #58.

I'm in disbelief that you think there's a legitimate chance he leaves early. Players who value academics don't leave early when they aren't expected to be first round picks. Makes no sense at all.

He is not lottery talent. You don't leave early unless you're going in the lottery. He is undersized as a shooting guard and can't handle the ball well enough to be an NBA point guard. If Deandre Mathieu and Dre Hollins morphed into one, you would have an NBA prospect. Right now, you have a second round talent in Andre.

He is not lottery talent. You don't leave early unless you're going in the lottery. He is undersized as a shooting guard and can't handle the ball well enough to be an NBA point guard. If Deandre Mathieu and Dre Hollins morphed into one, you would have an NBA prospect. Right now, you have a second round talent in Andre.

According to the announcer last night (Darrin Horn?) they already have. All second half he was talking about the play of Deandre Hollins...

I'm in disbelief that you think there's a legitimate chance he leaves early. Players who value academics don't leave early when they aren't expected to be first round picks. Makes no sense at all.

I have hung out with Andre, not many can say you have. I know that every student likes to have fun in college, but Andre seems to have more fun than most (maybe not me). However, he has toned down this year with Pitino having stricter rules. I think the major reason he would stay in college is that he enjoys college life a lot. I wouldn't say he he "truly" values academics like it seems when he has interviews with the media. By this I mean, I don't think he would go above and beyond to get his desired grade of an A or A- in a difficult class (that is a true sign of valuing education). Also, with all the help athletes receive, I feel like it should be possible to achieve these grades even with the Carlson Curve and a busy basketball schedule.

I admit he is in Carlson, which is a good school, but so am I. He is a marketing major, which is the joke major of the school not to offended anyone, but it is true, which is why the majority of the athletes in Carlson choose this major.

Also, regarding leaving early. If you drop the Chaminade game where he only played 14 minutes Andre's stats are 17.5 ppg, .398 shooting percentage (low, but sure to go up), .333 3pt percentage, .868 FT percentage, 3.75 rebounds per game, 3 assists per game, and 1.375 steals per game. I omit the fact that his turnovers are down per game because he doesn't handle the ball as much now. I am certain that if these numbers, mainly shooting percentages, he would move into a late first to early second round if not higher. This would also be dependent on how well the gophers season turned out.

I have hung out with Andre, not many can say you have. I know that every student likes to have fun in college, but Andre seems to have more fun than most (maybe not me). However, he has toned down this year with Pitino having stricter rules. I think the major reason he would stay in college is that he enjoys college life a lot. I wouldn't say he he "truly" values academics like it seems when he has interviews with the media. By this I mean, I don't think he would go above and beyond to get his desired grade of an A or A- in a difficult class (that is a true sign of valuing education). Also, with all the help athletes receive, I feel like it should be possible to achieve these grades even with the Carlson Curve and a busy basketball schedule.

I admit he is in Carlson, which is a good school, but so am I. He is a marketing major, which is the joke major of the school not to offended anyone, but it is true, which is why the majority of the athletes in Carlson choose this major.

Also, regarding leaving early. If you drop the Chaminade game where he only played 14 minutes Andre's stats are 17.5 ppg, .398 shooting percentage (low, but sure to go up), .333 3pt percentage, .868 FT percentage, 3.75 rebounds per game, 3 assists per game, and 1.375 steals per game. I omit the fact that his turnovers are down per game because he doesn't handle the ball as much now. I am certain that if these numbers, mainly shooting percentages, he would move into a late first to early second round if not higher. This would also be dependent on how well the gophers season turned out.

No way he goes first round with those numbers, and his size. Most of the experts have him in the late second round, if even drafted at all. I can 100% guarantee you he will be back next year. Actually, since you know Andre so well, can't you just go ask him what he's planning on doing? That would probably be the easiest way.

You aren't getting it. It's not about his stats. His game just doesn't project well to the NBA. It's possible he will surprise and have a really good NBA career (I hope he does), but it's extrememly unlikely that a team would use a first round pick on him. Do you seriously think he would leave school early if he isn't guaranteed to go in the lottery?

By the way, I don't want this to come off as me hating on Andre. He is one of my favorite Gopher players of all time (might even be my favorite) and I think he is an incredible college player. I just can't believe you keep bringing up the idea of him leaving early. Have you noticed you're the only one who seems to think it's even remotely realistic?

I have hung out with Andre, not many can say you have. I know that every student likes to have fun in college, but Andre seems to have more fun than most (maybe not me).

Congrats bro. Your life sounds awesome.

I wouldn't say he he "truly" values academics like it seems when he has interviews with the media. By this I mean, I don't think he would go above and beyond to get his desired grade of an A or A- in a difficult class (that is a true sign of valuing education).

OR he values education very highly, and basketball is his first love.

Are you sure? Most recently I saw that he was interested in finance and loved Caliendo's ACCT 2050 class. Would be curious if you had other info
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042213aaa.html

Also, want to point out that even though marketing classes may get the stigma of being "easier" than other CSOM majors, everything is still curved to a B (B+ for 4000 level) so it doesn't really make a difference GPA-wise

No way he goes first round with those numbers, and his size. Most of the experts have him in the late second round, if even drafted at all. I can 100% guarantee you he will be back next year. Actually, since you know Andre so well, can't you just go ask him what he's planning on doing? That would probably be the easiest way.

Experts can be wrong, Manu Ginobili, Tony parker.

Congrats bro. Your life sounds awesome.

OR he values education very highly, and basketball is his first love.

Are you sure? Most recently I saw that he was interested in finance and loved Caliendo's ACCT 2050 class. Would be curious if you had other info
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042213aaa.html

Also, want to point out that even though marketing classes may get the stigma of being "easier" than other CSOM majors, everything is still curved to a B (B+ for 4000 level) so it doesn't really make a difference GPA-wise

Shouldn't dignify your first comment, but It was used to show I have actually met the actual Andre and not the person you see in the media.

Someone who would value education would put in late nights to earn the grades he felt he could achieve. Not sure if he does, but I highly doubt it.

Also, I am almost 90% confident that he is marketing. The article you posted about his class interests are almost a year old. Also, the marketing stigma is there because it is true. I wouldn't bring up the GPA difference between the different majors. However, I'll bring up the time studying it takes in Accounting or Finance classes to just be at the Carlson Curve Median (B or B+). This is where the difference arises.

Experts can be wrong, Manu Ginobili, Tony parker.

Yep, both those guys were late first or second round picks, exactly the same place Andre would likely be. I never said Andre would be a bad NBA player, or anything near that.

I think you're missing the point here. Andre is not an NBA type player at all and because of that I (or most others) don't see any logical reason why he would come out of school a year early. His stats would have to be off the charts this year for him to get considered as a first round pick by NBA scouts. How often do you see guys skip their senior year to be a 2nd rounder? Not very.

Someone who would value education would put in late nights to earn the grades he felt he could achieve. Not sure if he does, but I highly doubt it.

Really? I value my education quite highly, but I rarely need to put in late nights to get the grades I want. I don't think this has anything to do with how much he values his education. Maybe he wants to get his degree so he has a fall back option when the NBA doesn't work out.

Yep, both those guys were late first or second round picks, exactly the same place Andre would likely be. I never said Andre would be a bad NBA player, or anything near that.

I think you're missing the point here. Andre is not an NBA type player at all and because of that I (or most others) don't see any logical reason why he would come out of school a year early. His stats would have to be off the charts this year for him to get considered as a first round pick by NBA scouts. How often do you see guys skip their senior year to be a 2nd rounder? Not very.

Not often, Rashard Lewis and Monte Ellis skipped college to be second rounders. It does happen. You get someone in a person's ear telling them to leave and he could go

Not often, Rashard Lewis and Monte Ellis skipped college to be second rounders. It does happen. You get someone in a person's ear telling them to leave and he could go

Big difference between skipping college all-together and deciding not to come back for your senior year...

Big difference between skipping college all-together and deciding not to come back for your senior year...

Juniors who left for the NBA Draft last year. Indiana's Oladipo (2nd pick), Gonzaga's Olynyk (13th pick) (had already completed degree, but just decided to include him), Louisville's Dieng (21st pick), Michigan's Hardaway (24th pick), Colorado's Andre Roberson (26th pick), California's Allen Crabbe (31st pick), Detroit's Ray McCallum Jr. (36th pick), San Deigo St's Jamaal Franklin (41st pick), Ohio State's Deshaun Thomas (58th pick).

I know I could find numerous articles for some of these athletes stating that education is important to them, but they left early except Olynyk. This was also just one year of the NBA draft. As I said, you get one person talking in your ear, and a player can make the wrong decision.

Juniors who left for the NBA Draft last year. Indiana's Oladipo (2nd pick), Gonzaga's Olynyk (13th pick) (had already completed degree, but just decided to include him), Louisville's Dieng (21st pick), Michigan's Hardaway (24th pick), Colorado's Andre Roberson (26th pick), California's Allen Crabbe (31st pick), Detroit's Ray McCallum Jr. (36th pick), San Deigo St's Jamaal Franklin (41st pick), Ohio State's Deshaun Thomas (58th pick).

I know I could find numerous articles for some of these athletes stating that education is important to them, but they left early except Olynyk. This was also just one year of the NBA draft. As I said, you get one person talking in your ear, and a player can make the wrong decision.

How many of those guys in the second round had Harvard and Stanford in their final list of schools? Also, these guys probably wanted to avoid entering in 2014 because their draft stock would be way lower than it was for the 2013 draft (in case you haven't been paying attention, the 2014 draft is absolutely loaded and the 2013 draft was very weak. Complete opposite scenario for Andre, so this is terrible support for your argument). No way in hell Andre is dumb enough to enter the draft early when it is this stacked. Even if he was projected late first round (he isn't) he would be smart to come back so he can enter when the talent pool is a little less ridiculous (and he can get his degree that he will be 75% done with).

He's just not an NBA talent. He's too small to play the 2, and he doesn't dribble or pass well enough to play the 1. He's not overly athletic either.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good college player, but he's not an NBA player. I would be surprised if he gets drafted. He better value that education unless he wants to play overseas, which is a real possibility.

When will Andre be Andre again? It's only been a few games but I was kinda wondering when Andre would go off for about 30 or 40. I guess I can wait awhile til maybe the B1G starts. One thing that occurred to me is that when Andre did have his BIG games it seems the PACE of the game was much slower thus allowing Andre to change gears a little bit during the game. There would be stretches where he would put in 10 or 12 points in a row in a short period of time. Now with the pace of the game pretty much consistently in HIGH Gear it occurs to me that maybe Andre is still getting a little used to this constant high gear. I'm thinking he is still adapting to the new pace and style and fairly soon Andre will be Andre again.

STrib blog: Andre Hollins not quite himself, but slump should pass

In the four games heading into Tuesday, the junior guard was still averaging 14.5 points a game despite his shooting woes because he’s been able to get to the line. In the previous four games, Hollins made 23 of 29 shots from the stripe. Then against SDSU, he was able to get there just once (making the shot). Hollins’ good size and speed makes him tough to guard – giving him a good chance of getting fouled on drives.

“Eight assists and three turnovers was great,” Pitino said. “The thing that I was disappointed in, he only got to the foul line one time. He was being a jumpshooter too much. He’s got the ability to get fouled and he’s got to do a great job of that. He can get 7, 8 points a game doing that. He’s got to do that more often.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/235436981.html

Go Gophers!!

This slump has gone on longer than I had hoped. I hope he has a breakout game before Michigan.

How many of those guys in the second round had Harvard and Stanford in their final list of schools? Also, these guys probably wanted to avoid entering in 2014 because their draft stock would be way lower than it was for the 2013 draft (in case you haven't been paying attention, the 2014 draft is absolutely loaded and the 2013 draft was very weak. Complete opposite scenario for Andre, so this is terrible support for your argument). No way in hell Andre is dumb enough to enter the draft early when it is this stacked. Even if he was projected late first round (he isn't) he would be smart to come back so he can enter when the talent pool is a little less ridiculous (and he can get his degree that he will be 75% done with).

If he is a guaranteed first round pick you go, the two year guaranteed contract is to big to pass up, if it looks like you will slide to the second round you stick around and play another year in college, he isn't going to be a lottery pick so if it is close it might be a tough decision. I can't see him going early to play in the D league or Europe.

If he is a guaranteed first round pick you go, the two year guaranteed contract is to big to pass up, if it looks like you will slide to the second round you stick around and play another year in college, he isn't going to be a lottery pick so if it is close it might be a tough decision. I can't see him going early to play in the D league or Europe.

If it's a guarantee then yes, I agree. But being projected late first round is far from a guarantee (this is a moot point for Andre since he isn't even projected first round at all). If it's close, I don't think it's a tough decision. Not worth the risk when the next draft is expected to have less talent.

This slump has gone on longer than I had hoped. I hope he has a breakout game before Michigan.

So many commentors expect a last year Memphis showing from Andre every game. It ain't gonna happen. Get off his back, he is doing fine, and will continue to do well.

So many commentors expect a last year Memphis showing from Andre every game. It ain't gonna happen. Get off his back, he is doing fine, and will continue to do well.

No one wants him to score 40, but an efficient shooting night sometime soon wouldn't kill him.

No one wants him to score 40, but an efficient shooting night sometime soon wouldn't kill him.

Andre averages like 14.5 a game, so I would say overall that is pretty efficient. The main thing is, he listens to Coach Pitino, not you.

Andre averages like 14.5 a game, so I would say overall that is pretty efficient. The main thing is, he listens to Coach Pitino, not you.

Andre is 16 of 51 from the field in the last 5 games. That is 31 %. That is NOT efficient. His FG percentage has dropped precipitously since the Syracuse game.

Just sayin...

Top Bottom