When does the seat become hot?

"Minnesota is sitting on the biggest bonanza of high school girls basketball talent in the world." Hyperbole like this undermines your other assertions.

Minnesota youth programs.

By far Minnesota has the highest participation in girls basketball in the nation. Several articles articulate this. Minnesota has a strong AAU network.

Look at the prospects rankings and see the elite players from Minnesota making the rankings and then many more unranked Minnesota players doing well too.

That is a bonanza to draw from.

Look at all the players coming out of Hopkins, from Paige Bueckers to Alivia McGill.

Yes, top players in the nation come more from other places, but the development structure and the youth participation here also produces a high number of college players.

Last edited:

I watched the entire game. I was pleased with the effort. I was not pleased with the passing. Too many shots were hurried or well guarded. Too many misses within 5 feet. There were some excellent passes in the lane that led to layups. Micheaux is a double double machine. Braun shot well until her 3rd foul prior to half time. Heyer played 37 minutes and was solid. Gophers had 11 tournovers which is an improvement. Defense was solid. Whalen's rotation was good. Shot selection and passing were today's issues. Rebounding is a plus plus

Minnesota youth programs.

By far Minnesota has the highest participation in girls basketball in the nation. Several articles articulate this. Minnesota has a strong AAU network.

Look at the prospects rankings and see the elite players from Minnesota making the rankings and then many more unranked Minnesota players doing well too.

Look at all the players coming out of Hopkins, from Paige Bueckers to Alivia McGill.

Yes, top players in the nation come more from other places, but the development structure and the youth participation here also produces a high number of college players.

Where are the nation’s best women’s teams recruiting? Minnesota, home of top prospects​

The state is awash in sought-after recruits, and that has benefited the Gophers, whose incoming class was ranked 10th in the nation by ESPN.​

RON HAGGSTROM, Star Tribune01/17/22, 3:15PM CST

Paige Bueckers changed the landscape. The Land of 10,000 Lakes is no longer considered a backwater of girls’ basketball recruiting.

The former Hopkins star was the nation’s No. 1 recruit two years ago, when she chose Connecticut. Minnesota has reached another peak this season, producing the state’s deepest and most talented senior class. The evidence: 15 Minnesotans were among the McDonald’s All-American Games nominees revealed last week.

“We have had some really good classes, and some subpar classes, in the past,” said Metro Stars AAU and Hopkins coach Tara Starks, whose team has two highly regarded seniors. “This class is loaded with heavy hitters from top to bottom.”

It also has plenty of versatility....

Lots left in the pipeline

Hopkins’ talent — and that of Minnesota — won’t run out when the Class of 2022 departs. Beyond its two seniors, Hopkins has junior 6-foot guard Taylor Woodson and junior 5-11 guard Nunu Agara; they are the 26th- and 38th-ranked players in the country in their class. Agara has committed to Stanford.

Hopkins’ starting lineup is rounded out by the 11th-ranked player in the Class of 2024, 5-8 sophomore Alivia McGill. All five starters have scoring averages in double figures.

“The talent pipeline is not going to run dry,” Anderson said. “The Class of 2023 and later are set to continue to produce quality players.” END QUOTE

Not sure where to post this. I saw this on the UND forum. Katie’s sister plays at UND. Any truth to this?

Heard a rumor that her sister maybe thinking about transferring out of Minnesota

The Athletic weighs in:

Who is on the coaching hot seat this year? — Ben

Raegan Pebley
is in her ninth season at TCU, and the Horned Frogs haven’t made the NCAA Tournament yet (though, they would’ve during the 2020 season). But since then, they’ve had diminishing returns, going 10-15 in 2020-21, 6-22 in 2021-22 and sitting at 6-11 this season with a winless conference record so far. Lindsay Whalen is in her fifth season at Minnesota, and the Gophers haven’t been the big dance yet, but her team is young and has shown some promise. I think as a program legend you get a bit more leeway, so I’d say her seat is warming but not yet hot. But this season’s Minnesota team, which starts three to four first- or second-year players regularly, must improve in the next two seasons or else that seat will be in the hot-seat conversation.

Other places I’m keeping an eye on: Pitt, Cincinnati and Missouri.

Not sure where to post this. I saw this on the UND forum. Katie’s sister plays at UND. Any truth to this?

Hope
I sincerely hope this isn’t true. While her turnovers drive me nuts, Borowicz plays with a lot of passion. She tries to be a solid leader in my opinion. I also love the fact that she wanted to be a Gopher. As soon as they offered she committed. I actually at times wondered if Kacey Borowicz would be a good pick up to spend her covid year at Minnesota.

I sincerely hope this isn’t true. While her turnovers drive me nuts, Borowicz plays with a lot of passion. She tries to be a solid leader in my opinion. I also love the fact that she wanted to be a Gopher. As soon as they offered she committed. I actually at times wondered if Kacey Borowicz would be a good pick up to spend her covid year at Minnesota.
No she can’t shoot and turns it over better players out there

Look at UM Volleyball. Even though they hired a great coach and have excellent players returning, two blue-chip players transferred.
One was because our previous coach and the current Wisc coach both recruited her very hard from very early on, so when our coach left she jumped over to them.

The other always wanted Neb as her first choice but they didn't have a scholarship for her, so she committed here. Then a scholarship opened up at Neb and so when our coach left she used that as an excuse. Never actually played for us yet.

The shelf life of this program has expired, it looks like at a higher level.

I was at Lindsey Whalen's first game as a coach at Williams Arena. I still have a welcome home Whalen hand towel/hankie from that game with my collectables collection. Whalen was a rock star. Lots of energy. She deserves all the great praise. Her gold medals and play that earned praise, astounding plays in college, huge accomplishments in the WNBA.

Now look at attendance at Williams Arena. Be honest, is that ever going to come back under this coach? Looks to me like there's no interest anymore.

How many attended the Whalen basketball camp last year? Someone said the attendance was down from other years. The Whalen aura looks not like it used to be when it was the aura of a great player years ago now.

All those players hit the transfer portal last year -- bad press. The team was left with 3 holdover players.

Then is appears the team wasn't able to attract better transfer portal players. Some names were mentioned that never panned out. The team had to bring in walk-ons and a couple others received scholarships who I doubt contribute much.

Is that transfer portal dilemma going to be fixed under this current situation? Looks to me like this program is close to dead. This program looks hampered and stalled with no hope is sight.

Oh, and then before that Big Ten Rookie of the Year Destiny Pitts left the team "blindsided and shocked" by Whalen's move to suspend her. She went on to win the 6th (wo)man award and helped lead Texas A&M deep into the NCAA Tournament. The coach there in the press story seemed elated to have her.

This is real important. Two other Gophers players sat out in protest of Whalen after that.

1676814942310.png

That is quite a few women who left this program. Maybe I empathize with them.

Each time it surely set the program back. And to me looking at the down attendance at Williams and what appears to be difficulty getting transfer players, now relying on walk-ons, this program looks dead.

The shelf life has expired.

Will there be any hope for recruiting? I doubt it. None of the players coming in next season are ranked.

This is a program that two years in a row lost to nobody schools -- NDSU this season and Jacksonville last season.

Is there any gravitas to attract to this program?

Iowa recently set a program record for points scored in a game against Rutgers in a 54 rout of Rutgers. The Rutgers team only has 8 players. Minnesota flubbed away a lead against Rutgers and lost with some highly questionable coaching down the stretch. That happened again and again this year.

Zero NCAA tournament appearances under Whalen. The last time Gophers made the NCAA Tournament was the year before Whalen came.

No success in the NIT Tournament, meaning lost in the 2nd round both times.

The shelf life has expired. It's dead.

Just go to Williams Arena and look for yourself.

The Cycle of Life

Seasons come and seasons go.
Memories of past times where we can never go back.
It's the cycle of life.
We just look ahead to what is next.
And some of us are lucky to have it better than the rest.
One guarantee is that eventually someone else will get a chance.
It's just the cycle of life.

This season is done.

The shelf life of this program has expired, it looks like at a higher level.

I was at Lindsey Whalen's first game as a coach at Williams Arena. I still have a welcome home Whalen hand towel/hankie from that game with my collectables collection. Whalen was a rock star. Lots of energy. She deserves all the great praise. Her gold medals and play that earned praise, astounding plays in college, huge accomplishments in the WNBA.

Now look at attendance at Williams Arena. Be honest, is that ever going to come back under this coach? Looks to me like there's no interest anymore.

How many attended the Whalen basketball camp last year? Someone said the attendance was down from other years. The Whalen aura looks not like it used to be when it was the aura of a great player years ago now.

All those players hit the transfer portal last year -- bad press. The team was left with 3 holdover players.

Then is appears the team wasn't able to attract better transfer portal players. Some names were mentioned that never panned out. The team had to bring in walk-ons and a couple others received scholarships who I doubt contribute much.

Is that transfer portal dilemma going to be fixed under this current situation? Looks to me like this program is close to dead. This program looks hampered and stalled with no hope is sight.

Oh, and then before that Big Ten Rookie of the Year Destiny Pitts left the team "blindsided and shocked" by Whalen's move to suspend her. She went on to win the 6th (wo)man award and helped lead Texas A&M deep into the NCAA Tournament. The coach there in the press story seemed elated to have her.

This is real important. Two other Gophers players sat out in protest of Whalen after that.

View attachment 24067

That is quite a few women who left this program. Maybe I empathize with them.

Each time it surely set the program back. And to me looking at the down attendance at Williams and what appears to be difficulty getting transfer players, now relying on walk-ons, this program looks dead.

The shelf life has expired.

Will there be any hope for recruiting? I doubt it. None of the players coming in next season are ranked.

This is a program that two years in a row lost to nobody schools -- NDSU this season and Jacksonville last season.

Is there any gravitas to attract to this program?

Iowa recently set a program record for points scored in a game against Rutgers in a 54 rout of Rutgers. The Rutgers team only has 8 players. Minnesota flubbed away a lead against Rutgers and lost with some highly questionable coaching down the stretch. That happened again and again this year.

Zero NCAA tournament appearances under Whalen. The last time Gophers made the NCAA Tournament was the year before Whalen came.

No success in the NIT Tournament, meaning lost in the 2nd round both times.

The shelf life has expired. It's dead.

Just go to Williams Arena and look for yourself.
wasn't it YOU about a month ago or so.. saying.. just WAIT this team will be in the NCAA tournament next year? you have done a pretty quick 180.. it's actually pretty wild to see it all happen on this board too

wasn't it YOU about a month ago or so.. saying.. just WAIT this team will be in the NCAA tournament next year? you have done a pretty quick 180.. it's actually pretty wild to see it all happen on this board too
Yes it was, not uncommon to see people taking positions of certainty one way or the other here but the flip from one extreme of certainty to the other is unusual and possibly unprecedented from my experience. Such certainty is unknowable and much less interesting than the area in between.

I say stay the course with this current staff at least until next season. If next season is like this, where we are dead last and bottoming out, then you probably have to call it.
have to agree here.. was this year TOUGHER then we expected for sure.. but getting a healthy Nia back will help.. (who would have thought when it happened it would be such a big lost honestly). Getting Sophie as a TRUE B1G post should help.. IF the 3 Freshman take the leap like Rose did between Fr/So season.. then watch out .. Also we should actually have depth next year as well, with Click, Maggie, Nia, the two international recruits, Katie B.

but if we are in this spot next year as this time.. then yes it will be time for a change..

Henry Lake as a friend of Whalen urges patience. Although after five years at the helm, it should read "continued" patience.

Vineeta Sawkar:
“Only three wins in conference play for Lindsay Whalen as a coach. How much patience do you think athletic director Mark Coyle should have with her, with this team, you know, as they move forward.”

Henry Lake:
“[chuckle] You know, that’s a tough one for me to answer because I’m a little bit bias in that I’m friends with Lindsay and I’ve been a longtime fan and support her and I think the world of her. And, look, at the end of the day she’s always going to get a longer leash. She is royalty in terms of sports here, specifically basketball. A Hall of Fame basketball player. So she’s going to get a little more rope than, say, a Ben Johnson. But at the end of the day, Coyle’s got to look at the situation, assess weather he thinks it’s going to get better or not, and make tough decisions.

Do I think that they’re going to make any decision at the end of this season? Absolutely not. And I wouldn’t just based on the recruiting class she brought in this year. They’re young. And I think she gets another year to try and figure it out and get this program up and running. But I’m not going to sit here and act as though she’s not on the clock. You don’t get forever to get to be able to put your program into a winning situation. The Gophers just are not going to wait forever for that.

But I like some of the players she has in the program. Hopefully they will grow here in the offseason and be so much better next season.”

Vineeta Sawkar:
“That certainly is the case. And I would agree. I don’t know her as well as you. But certainly she is beloved in this state for everything she’s brought to the state. So you hope there’s some patience with that, with her, and the team as well.”

Henry Lake:
“And she’s a first-time coach, you know.”

Vineeta Sawkar:
“Yea, got to give her some slack.

“We’re starting to see the Big Ten signs coming up all around downtown Minneapolis. That’s going to be great next week.”

Henry Lake:
“Yes. Hey, that’s going to be awesome. And I’m looking forward to being a part of that and going down and watching the women play. I’ve always enjoyed watching women’s basketball. I was a fan many, many years ago. Pat Summitt and those Tennessee squads. Stanford’s always been a program that’s excited me. And when we get an opportunity to get the women’s tournament here in the Big Ten that should be extremely exciting…. Here you would wish that Whalen and her program were up and running already. Because if you don’t get to see them maybe on the first day then probably as a Gopher fan you’re not likely to see them play at all.”

I don't fault Whalen for dishing out consequences for Pitts behavior because I thought it was clearly needed. I was getting pissed off watching her behavior/nonverbals her last few games. Was there another way to dissuade the behavior and coax her into the culture she was trying to build, maybe. I do and always have faulted Whalen for that but it may have been a necessary outcome. Lindsey may have been too occomodating and should have driven her and Jasmin out sooner to get the culture changed sooner. Will never know but I don't believe in NOT dishing out consequences just because someone is your star player.
Lindsay had many “meetings” with Pitts prior to the event in which she dropped her from the team. People think that that was just once or twice issue. That is such a simple criticism. Players like Pitts and Powell destroyed the culture and that has taken until this year to clean up. Personally, I think an experienced coach would have cleaned it up sooner. I Dont think Lindsay would let players with those attitudes last as long as they did again.

I will submit a candidate below for your consideration, I have seen her up close and personal at two different schools. First as a Div 2 coach and presently as a MAC coach just down the street from my house. She’s good and won everywhere she has been so far.

Can she recruit at a Big Ten school, who knows? But she’s a winner and has a good staff that has followed her around.
+1

Lindsay had many “meetings” with Pitts prior to the event in which she dropped her from the team. People think that that was just once or twice issue. That is such a simple criticism. Players like Pitts and Powell destroyed the culture and that has taken until this year to clean up. Personally, I think an experienced coach would have cleaned it up sooner. I Dont think Lindsay would let players with those attitudes last as long as they did again.
As a former player I 100% agree with these points! Hindsight 20/20.

The reason the culture was poor was due to an inexperienced coach that had no idea how to address player issues. Powell's current coach Kellie Harper (TN) was able to address her issues in less than 2 months. Now it's pass the ball or sit for Powell. Pitts never believed in Whalen as a coach after seeing the stark difference between her and Stollings. Once a player experiences good coaching, it's easy to recognize poor coaching.

The reason the culture was poor was due to an inexperienced coach that had no idea how to address player issues. Powell's current coach Kellie Harper (TN) was able to address her issues in less than 2 months. Now it's pass the ball or sit for Powell. Pitts never believed in Whalen as a coach after seeing the stark difference between her and Stollings. Once a player experiences good coaching, it's easy to recognize poor coaching.
I don’t disagree Whay took too long to address some issues and needed to learn some of the personal management practices. But to say the Tennessee coach is getting much more from her is mystifying to me. Jasmine stats are dramatically poorer than they were at the U and they have only gotten worse as the season progressed.

I don’t disagree Whay took too long to address some issues and needed to learn some of the personal management practices. But to say the Tennessee coach is getting much more from her is mystifying to me. Jasmine stats are dramatically poorer than they were at the U and they have only gotten worse as the season progressed.
I don't think he said that TN was getting more from Powell. Just address the attitude issues with her. Agree that her performance is down.

I don't think he said that TN was getting more from Powell. Just address the attitude issues with her. Agree that her performance is down.
I admit I have no idea how Powell has been handled, I don't watch their games and have not interest in watching. I haven't read any articles on their performance I only have read the stats and she has played less as the season went along and her efficiency has dropped. The coach is not getting more out of her on the court which I see as a failure in one respect relative to Whay. Maybe Jasmine is acquiescing with fewer hissy fits because she doesn't have a free transfer year and the coach has more depth to play if she is being a pain, I really don't know but would be interested to hear what tangible different methods have been used by the Tennessee head coach. Discipline, and benching is what caused Powell to quit on the team here, my only criticism of Whay was that in Powells case she probably needed to discipline more earlier but I don't know what discipline there was behind the scenes.

Top Bottom