Plus this years record:

Overall 9 - 12
Conf 2-8

That makes her a total of:

Overall: 69-69

Conference: 30-52

5th year. Seemingly gets worse every year. Thread title is the question:

When does her seat become hot?
The rest of the year is her audition to keep her job in 2023-24.

The rest of the year is her audition to keep her job in 2023-24.
I disagree. I think 2023-24 is the audition. I think Coyle will give her another year with the freshmen. Look at how Rose has come out of her shell this year. Hopefully the freshmen can do the same next year. However, if there is another exodus after this season, then I think she should just do Coyle a favor and resign.

A poor Big Ten record and not getting the top 22/23 MN recruits signals a hot seat. I would say give her another year and if you don't make a significant improvement it is time to for a change.

I disagree. I think 2023-24 is the audition. I think Coyle will give her another year with the freshmen. Look at how Rose has come out of her shell this year. Hopefully the freshmen can do the same next year. However, if there is another exodus after this season, then I think she should just do Coyle a favor and resign.
The record coupled with the exodus was my main reason for making this post. If they are young and getting better and NOT leaving, there might be some hope. If they are young, getting better, leaving, and getting young again, she needs to go.

I have been a fan. That said, coach Whalen needs to get her sh!t together and start moving this program forward. 5 years is a long leash and you can only live on fame and past accomplishments so long. Gophers fans have been plenty patient, either you have the chops or not. Today felt like a time warp.

I don't know. When Coyle's seat becomes too hot? When our seats become too hot? Minnesota is the graveyard of coaches. There has only been about 28 winning seasons in the 50-year history of Gopher Women's Basketball. There has only been 10 NCAA appearances, 3 AIAW, and 6 WNIT--mostly first and second round losses. We have never won the Big Ten or Big Ten tournament. We carry on like the U of Minn is the greatest place for a basketball player to play. The men's and women's programs are near rock bottom. It is hard to get impact players to sign on. We are hoping to get home-grown players to attend because of their ties to the state and we hope that they will eventually develop into great players. This will be a slow process. The reputations of the men's and women's programs are so low that we cannot get impact players from the Transfer Portal. Right now, Whalen and Johnson are doing the University a favor out of loyalty to their Alma Mater. Big-name coaches are not interested. Given how low the programs have sunk, Whalen and Johnson may be over their heads. We need to strongly support the teams and demand that the Athletic Department devote much more attention and resources to the programs. We also need to get into the NIL game.

There is no 'next year' nowdays. Next year you might have a completely different team. Your players might all leave, or you might go to the portal and get impact players. I'm not feeling a happy ending here:
1) For some reason we go to the portal and get players that don't help.
2) We're sucking and I'm not seeing any shake-ups with the gameplan
3) Rose is a force who can do her thing down low on her own. After that we don't have dominant individual players. So we need team play to score. I'm not seeing much of that. Amaya makes her teammates better and Mara does a bit but then we fall off a cliff. Not seeing team synergy or pairs of players that work together well. Our offense is low IQ and surpriseless. All the movement is predictable, picks aren't set or used. I keep hearing about next year but nowdays that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

I don't know. When Coyle's seat becomes too hot? When our seats become too hot? Minnesota is the graveyard of coaches. There has only been about 28 winning seasons in the 50-year history of Gopher Women's Basketball. There has only been 10 NCAA appearances, 3 AIAW, and 6 WNIT--mostly first and second round losses. We have never won the Big Ten or Big Ten tournament. We carry on like the U of Minn is the greatest place for a basketball player to play. The men's and women's programs are near rock bottom. It is hard to get impact players to sign on. We are hoping to get home-grown players to attend because of their ties to the state and we hope that they will eventually develop into great players. This will be a slow process. The reputations of the men's and women's programs are so low that we cannot get impact players from the Transfer Portal. Right now, Whalen and Johnson are doing the University a favor out of loyalty to their Alma Mater. Big-name coaches are not interested. Given how low the programs have sunk, Whalen and Johnson may be over their heads. We need to strongly support the teams and demand that the Athletic Department devote much more attention and resources to the programs. We also need to get into the NIL game.
I agree that we need to get into the NIL. Not sure I agree with the rest of it. Her teams seem to be getting worse year after year. We had legitimate coaches who wanted the Men's position. Young coaches that kick ass at smaller schools and/or conferences are more than willing to come to a BIG and get their chance.

A lot of people seem tired of PJ, and I'm not a fan of the rah, rah, rah coaches, but he gets shit done. 3 of the past 4 seasons have been 9+ wins. When does that happen? The fact that some people are disappointed shows we had some bad losses, and we did. But he was a MAC coach. Urban Meyer was a coach at Utah. I know these are football, but they are out there, we just have to do a better job at identifying, and then going out to get them, which we suck at.

The end of the day, Coyle has to do better. I was a fan of the Whalen hire when it happened. She has been successful at everything she has tried. It just doesn't seem like she is going to be successful here. I hope I'm wrong...

In four years, Whalen's predecessor had 3 winning B1G seasons and two tournament appearances. Whalen hasn't achieved either and is moving in the wrong direction. We may not be UConn, but plenty of coaches have done better than this. And I say this as a huge fan of Whalen the player.

I agree that we need to get into the NIL. Not sure I agree with the rest of it. Her teams seem to be getting worse year after year. We had legitimate coaches who wanted the Men's position. Young coaches that kick ass at smaller schools and/or conferences are more than willing to come to a BIG and get their chance.

A lot of people seem tired of PJ, and I'm not a fan of the rah, rah, rah coaches, but he gets shit done. 3 of the past 4 seasons have been 9+ wins. When does that happen? The fact that some people are disappointed shows we had some bad losses, and we did. But he was a MAC coach. Urban Meyer was a coach at Utah. I know these are football, but they are out there, we just have to do a better job at identifying, and then going out to get them, which we suck at.

The end of the day, Coyle has to do better. I was a fan of the Whalen hire when it happened. She has been successful at everything she has tried. It just doesn't seem like she is going to be successful here. I hope I'm wrong...
I will submit a candidate below for your consideration, I have seen her up close and personal at two different schools. First as a Div 2 coach and presently as a MAC coach just down the street from my house. She’s good and won everywhere she has been so far.

Can she recruit at a Big Ten school, who knows? But she’s a winner and has a good staff that has followed her around.

Only reason she hasn't been fired is the recruiting classes have been good. But she's shown she can't win and can't retain star players

Only reason she hasn't been fired is the recruiting classes have been good. But she's shown she can't win and can't retain star players
I think only this years and next years recruiting classes were good. I think previous classes were not better than middling on paper. Still they didn't get the right players, if they did, they should have stayed and been better than this.

Let's review her career, good and bad.

Overall Record as of 1/30/23: (69-69)

Big Ten as of 1/30/23: (30-52)

Positives:

-Bringing Carly Thibault-DuDonis on when she first got the job. A fantastic recruiter and outstanding up and coming coach. Also, a key player in getting the 2022s.

-The 2022s Top Ten Recruiting Class/Along with improved relationships within the state that previous two coached burned to the ground.

-Getting Sophie Hart to come home.

Out of her Control:

-A global pandemic her third season. Adding the covid year which threw recruiting stuff into a tailspin.

-An enhanced and hyperactive transfer portal.

-Carlie Wagner Graduating year before Whalen got the job and Diva Hubbard Injured her first season. Leaving them with roughly a 6-player rotation that first season for her coming off a NCAA berth in Stollings last season.

-Nia Holloway injured this season

Negatives:

-Recruiting as a whole, especially since Carly left for Fairfield. They don’t seem to have an assistant or frankly coach on the staff who is doing the groundwork anymore. Tessa Johnson, Taylor Woodson, Olivia Olson, and Kennedy Sanders have already walked out the state and as of right now I would expect Aaliyah Crump, Maddyn Greenway and possibly others to follow suit. WE NEED BETTER ASSISTANTS, NOT HER FRIENDS!

-Play call, timeout time and ability to come up with gameplan. How are we struggling to get Mara looks? How do we get Mal open looks? Why is our only offense passing into Rose and everyone stands and watches? What players have developed or improved under her 5 years.

-the transfers. I’ll stand by some maybe were in over their heads at the Big Ten level. But players like Sissoko, Scalia, Powell, Staples, Sconiers, and Alexia smith have moved on and found both team and induvial success. This also means the transfers (specially this season) giving next to nothing to help the team are on her.

Overall Thoughts:

I’ve asked the question multiple times recently, if the name wasn’t Lindsey Whalen, how hot would the seat be. I feel the seat would be warmer, bordering on burning up. I do think she could get next year based on another year of 2022s, Nia Holloway back, Sophie Hart coming in next year and the international recruits coming. I think Coyle knew this was long play when she was hired with no work experience.

Wild Card thing is….Lynx do have an open assistant coaching position. After this season, could there be a sitiatuon where Whalen “resigns” or steps away to take that position and in turn opening up the Gopher coaching job?

Wild Card thing is….Lynx do have an open assistant coaching position. After this season, could there be a sitiatuon where Whalen “resigns” or steps away to take that position and in turn opening up the Gopher coaching job?

Hey! A ray of hope.

Lindsay’s seat isn’t “becoming hot”. It’s been hot and only getting hotter. Next year if they don’t finish above .500, I’d say it’s time to call it.

Carly Thibault-DuDonis was a friend. How does a coach have a successful years(s) without talent, veteran help and a supporting bench? This year and next are the best recruiting classes so far. I do think Scalia, Smith, Sissoko, and Powell progressed while they were here or they wouldn't be on such good teams and the coaching staff should get some credit for that.

Positives:

-Bringing Carly Thibault-DuDonis on when she first got the job. A fantastic recruiter and outstanding up and coming coach. Also, a key player in getting the 2022s.

-The 2022s Top Ten Recruiting Class/Along with improved relationships within the state that previous two coached burned to the ground.

Out of her Control:

-A global pandemic her third season. Adding the covid year which threw recruiting stuff into a tailspin.

-Carlie Wagner Graduating year before Whalen got the job and Diva Hubbard Injured her first season. Leaving them with roughly a 6-player rotation that first season for her coming off a NCAA berth in Stollings last season.

Negatives:

-Recruiting as a whole, especially since Carly left for Fairfield. They don’t seem to have an assistant or frankly coach on the staff who is doing the groundwork anymore. Tessa Johnson, Taylor Woodson, Olivia Olson, and Kennedy Sanders have already walked out the state and as of right now I would expect Aaliyah Crump, Maddyn Greenway and possibly others to follow suit. WE NEED BETTER ASSISTANTS, NOT HER FRIENDS!

-Play call, timeout time and ability to come up with gameplan. How are we struggling to get Mara looks? How do we get Mal open looks? Why is our only offense passing into Rose and everyone stands and watches? What players have developed or improved under her 5 years.

-the transfers. I’ll stand by some maybe were in over their heads at the Big Ten level. But players like Sissoko, Scalia, Powell, Staples, Sconiers, and Alexia smith have moved on and found both team and induvial success. This also means the transfers (specially this season) giving next to nothing to help the team are on her.

Overall Thoughts:

I’ve asked the question multiple times recently, if the name wasn’t Lindsey Whalen, how hot would the seat be. I feel the seat would be warmer, bordering on burning up. I do think she could get next year based on another year of 2022s, Nia Holloway back, Sophie Hart coming in next year and the international recruits coming. I think Coyle knew this was long play when she was hired with no work experience.

interesting thoughts

Carly Thibault-DuDonis was a friend. How does a coach have a successful years(s) without talent, veteran help and a supporting bench? This year and next are the best recruiting classes so far. I do think Scalia, Smith, Sissoko, and Powell progressed while they were here or they wouldn't be on such good teams
I agree except Powell did not improve in maybe the most important way, attitude and team play. Very talented but should have played an individual sport. I suppose the same could be argued for Scalia and Sissoko but they at least finished the season.

and the coaching staff should get some credit for that.

I think only this years and next years recruiting classes were good.
Who can we expect from the 2023 recruiting class to make a substantial immediate contribution next year? If next year is the make or break year, as I think it should be, 2-3 players from the combination of Hart, Holloway, and the '23 recruits will have to have very good years.

Who can we expect from the 2023 recruiting class to make a substantial immediate contribution next year? If next year is the make or break year, as I think it should be, 2-3 players from the combination of Hart, Holloway, and the '23 recruits will have to have very good years.
I would say Hart could start, meaning a starting five of Battle-Braun-Heyer-Rose-Hart (if no transfers or injuries) Klick could be productive in backup SG role to come in, give energy and hit jumpers. Same with Katie next year. Two International players both high ceilings.

Carly Thibault-DuDonis was a friend. How does a coach have a successful years(s) without talent, veteran help and a supporting bench? This year and next are the best recruiting classes so far. I do think Scalia, Smith, Sissoko, and Powell progressed while they were here or they wouldn't be on such good teams and the coaching staff should get some credit for that.
A friend with prior assistant experience, final four experience and recruiting desire. Something none of the three we have now seem to have.

I will submit a candidate below for your consideration, I have seen her up close and personal at two different schools. First as a Div 2 coach and presently as a MAC coach just down the street from my house. She’s good and won everywhere she has been so far.

Can she recruit at a Big Ten school, who knows? But she’s a winner and has a good staff that has followed her around.
Kinda like the coach at Illinois coming from Dayton.

Good question

From the 23 class I expect the following to contribute from most to least:
Hart-significant contribution
Dominika-significant contribution
Ajok-significant contribution
Holloway-significant contribution
Dalan-significant contribution
Klick-not much game time
Senden-not much game time but I really like the looks of her play, I think she will contribute a lot in practice at the very least.

We will have 6 scholarship spots for next year and when you subtract the 5 scholarship players above, from that, we will have 1 transfer to pickup to fill the 6 spots. I only think we would add a transfer and not a late signee unless they are very highly rated i.e. top 50 in the country or international player with international experience. This also assumes Hammond, Oberg or 1 other person does not return.

Positives:

Out of her Control:

Negatives:

Overall Thoughts:

Whalen taking assistant coach job with Lynx would be a blessing.

She has my vote. This is the kind of people I'm talking about....

Minnesota hired a coach with zero coaching experience. They are going to give her the proper time to get her poop in a group.

The Michigan game was bad. However there has been good games and things that excite me about this group.

There were not team players on the team last year. Those girls staying may have helped the teAm be .500 however I think they also could have done damage for this freshman class. I am still saying that they are a tournament team next year. If that doesn’t happen. Then maybe it’s time to START thinking about a change. In college there tends to be a ton of growth between freshman and sophomore year. I think both Rose and Maggie have shown that. If this group improves and the post depth becomes better (On the court) I believe in Whalen. I believe she has learned a lot in the last 5 seasons and will start putting it together,

Minnesota hired a coach with zero coaching experience. They are going to give her the proper time to get her poop in a group.

The Michigan game was bad. However there has been good games and things that excite me about this group.

There were not team players on the team last year. Those girls staying may have helped the teAm be .500 however I think they also could have done damage for this freshman class. I am still saying that they are a tournament team next year. If that doesn’t happen. Then maybe it’s time to START thinking about a change. In college there tends to be a ton of growth between freshman and sophomore year. I think both Rose and Maggie have shown that. If this group improves and the post depth becomes better (On the court) I believe in Whalen. I believe she has learned a lot in the last 5 seasons and will start putting it together,
Saying this team is a tournament team next year is nonsense. This team will never make an NCAA tourney game under Whalen. Anyone with any sizeable amount of coaching experience knows this is true. It's foolish to keep expecting things to change. Time to hire a qualified coach - before more players transfer.

Top Bottom