What You Learn Reading ANY NDSU Thread

I'm actually fine with NDSU. When they are playing other Div 1AA teams, not from Minnesota, I always cheer for them, sometimes even when they ar playing Minnesota based teams, if they have a shot to go to the playoffs, unless they are playing UND or SDSU then I don't care who wins so much, but cheer for the better team, so that at least one of them has a shot at making the playoffs.

But our little baby brother to the west simply needs to show his big brother some respect, thats all. lol

FullMontey4551656c9a0aa.jpg

Well done, Cobra. Did you know that the military has cancelled any and all drone flights over North Dakota? They can't find anything worthwhile except for the extreme overdose of gravity caused by the entire state sucking. In fact, ND is thinking of developing new license plates for vehicles. The motto is "Screw U, We Frack".

Not that it matters, because they didn't play . . . but it is entertaining that every year that MN loses to NDSU is the worst year in MN history. And also every year that they don't play would have been an easy MN win.

To be honest, the last 8 years would have been pretty even with NDSU vs MN. In 2012, MN was actually starting to compete and play better defense, so it would have been a great matchup. 2013 is the year that NDSU has been pointing to for 3 years with our loaded senior class. It's been a hell of a run for NDSU. Just use UNI as an example, playing Iowa and Wisconsin on the road before hosting NDSU last year. UNI actually was down 33-13 in their home game, falling out of that one much more quickly before getting a late score. Hell, they had the ball down 3 to rosebowl Wiscy in the 4th with a few minutes to go before falling. Ya, ya . . . i'm sure the badgers didn't care if they won or lost.

They do play football outside the B1G, and outside the FBS. Knowing how to win, and expecting to win go a long way toward actually winning . . . and that is built into the bison FB culture. Playing a B1G schedule would be brutal however, and I wouldn't want to do that with 63 scholarships. As a MN'sotan and someone that watches the gopher every week, I do understand how building a winning program is really hard in the B1G, and in MN. MN is in a tough situation playing lower level FBS or FCS teams. MN gets that team's best shot while having to turn around and play the next B1G on the schedule. No win situation.

Not that it matters, because they didn't play . . . but it is entertaining that every year that MN loses to NDSU is the worst year in MN history. And also every year that they don't play would have been an easy MN win.

Facts are amusing, I guess.

To be honest, the last 8 years would have been pretty even with NDSU vs MN. In 2012, MN was actually starting to compete and play better defense, so it would have been a great matchup. 2013 is the year that NDSU has been pointing to for 3 years with our loaded senior class. It's been a hell of a run for NDSU. Just use UNI as an example, playing Iowa and Wisconsin on the road before hosting NDSU last year. UNI actually was down 33-13 in their home game, falling out of that one much more quickly before getting a late score. Hell, they had the ball down 3 to rosebowl Wiscy in the 4th with a few minutes to go before falling. Ya, ya . . . i'm sure the badgers didn't care if they won or lost.

They do play football outside the B1G, and outside the FBS. Knowing how to win, and expecting to win go a long way toward actually winning . . . and that is built into the bison FB culture. Playing a B1G schedule would be brutal however, and I wouldn't want to do that with 63 scholarships. As a MN'sotan and someone that watches the gopher every week, I do understand how building a winning program is really hard in the B1G, and in MN. MN is in a tough situation playing lower level FBS or FCS teams. MN gets that team's best shot while having to turn around and play the next B1G on the schedule. No win situation.

U make it sound like we play ndsu every year, we played you 3 times. We have been brutal since 2006 as a program. Do you disagree?

I have never had that strong of a feeling about NDSU but since Herd has made this topic his personal life work, if I never hear about them again that will be too soon!:horse:

I have never had that strong of feeling about NDSU but since Herd has made this topic his personal life work, if I never hear about them again that will be too soon!:horse:

You are not getting off the hook that easy, Killjoy.

My interest in the Bison is limited completely by having seen in person Billy Turner, Zach Vraa, Grant Olson et all and hoping our dumb $ss coaches would recruit them. When we didn't and they go to Fargo and are the cornerstone of teams that are better than the Gophers it makes me sick to my stomach. It's about missed and wasted opportunity; which is the story of our Gopher lives.

My interest in the Bison is limited completely by having seen in person Billy Turner, Zach Vraa, Grant Olson et all and hoping our dumb $ss coaches would recruit them. When we didn't and they go to Fargo and are the cornerstone of teams that are better than the Gophers it makes me sick to my stomach. It's about missed and wasted opportunity; which is the story of our Gopher lives.

here we go, stupid "missed players" debate. im sure the kids that from wisky, illinois, texas, iowa, etc etc were playerrs those schools missed out on too. this idea we missed is about as stupid as it gets.

A serious question since you know of these guys, how many BCS scholarship offers did these guys turn down?

Or better yet how many players on our team would you trade now for any of the three? I'd say 1/2 of our roster; maybe more. It would be a non-issue if the kids we picked instead of then were legit Big Ten players but sadly they're not. This whole issue only has legs if we suck which unfortunately we have.

Or better yet how many players on our team would you trade now for any of the three? I'd say 1/2 of our roster; maybe more. It would be a non-issue if the kids we picked instead of then were legit Big Ten players but sadly they're not. This whole issue only has legs if we suck which unfortunately we have.

So you don't know?

here we go, stupid "missed players" debate. im sure the kids that from wisky, illinois, texas, iowa, etc etc were playerrs those schools missed out on too. this idea we missed is about as stupid as it gets.[/QUOTE]

You could say that about this whole string.

Oh and strangely enough there have been a LOT of them through the years. Heck, searched this board for "NDSU" and FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE POSTS :eek: were found that mentioned the term! Four things jump out in the threads that feature the Bison directly.

1. Nearly every fan/supporter of the Bison comes over and first or eventually at least, says that NDSU owns the Gophers.
2. How embarrassing it must be for the U of M that a small school from 1-AA / FCS keeps beating them.
3. Nearly ALL of the Bison's best players are from Minnesota. Players that either weren't offered by the U or were asked to Walk On.
4. Why won't the Gophers schedule MORE games against the Bisons? / Please schedule more games against the Bison.

Now, throw in the facts that:

- The BTN and ESPN do not want to televise ANY games where Conference teams play FCS teams.
- The B1G National TV contract expires in 2017
- That TCF unlike the Dome, doesn't have to fill 30 - 35 thousand seats on a regular basis.

How can anyone not wearing Packer colors know those things and want the series to continue? Thinking that it should continue could cast aspirations on the quality of one's education. Knowing NDSU Grads and some Professors myself, that shouldn't come into play.

Oh, the other thing that comes-up is how much the Gophers need to have that one game to get to six wins and thus to a Bowl Game. Even Teague and Kill themselves have talked about that need ("cough, cough") too. Here's the deal, if they need to play a FCS team every year just to get to Six wins well, then they MAY be looking to fill those 30-35 seats at TCF too..

Iceland is tired of posts about NDSU, so he started another thread about NDSU.

U make it sound like we play ndsu every year, we played you 3 times. We have been brutal since 2006 as a program. Do you disagree?

2006 was a descent MN team with a good coaching staff. 2007-2011 was brutal and practically disfunctional at times under Brew, with 2011-12 showing improvement, pride, and effort getting back to 0.500, and giving me a little hope. Not sure why it takes so long for coaching staffs in MN to progress. Puzzling to me. High water mark for NDSU was 2012 (not 2006, 2007 or 2011), and will probably be 2013 when you look at talent level this year. We will see.

One other thing you learn reading any NDSU thread is that it is meant "for those who are interested", that opening clause apparently making it appropriate to post on Gopherhole.

2006 was a descent MN team with a good coaching staff. 2007-2011 was brutal and practically disfunctional at times under Brew, with 2011-12 showing improvement, pride, and effort getting back to 0.500, and giving me a little hope. Not sure why it takes so long for coaching staffs in MN to progress. Puzzling to me. High water mark for NDSU was 2012 (not 2006, 2007 or 2011), and will probably be 2013 when you look at talent level this year. We will see.

so you are saying we were brutal, but it was a huge win for a 1 loss bison team? again, you cant have it both ways!!!!

06 had decent record but played a bad schedule, i couldnt stand mason. the guy didnt care about advancing the program. he was content with having a losing big ten record year after year and getting 4 non conf wins against terrible teams while beating nu and indiana. i have had several friends of mine who are big ndsu alums constantly defend mason as if he was the second coming. the guy didnt win in conferene play and didnt care about recruiting

You are completely wrong. We averaged 46.6K lat year (fact). We sold out for Syracuse (fact). We are going to get better and better on the field (Spermy conjecture). The whole spending at bars, restuarants thing is soooo over-rated. The Twin City area will be completely fine financially, and better football-wsie, for NOT playing lower division teams like the Buffaloes.

Give us Fla Int'l, or Ball State, or So. Miss, 1000x over any lower division school like the team from Fargo. All day, any day.

Their "incremental $" means nothing - nothing - proportionately. Our supplemental income from non-ticket revenue vastly trumps any perceived benefit from ANY FCS school.

THEY are the ones that are going to suffer financially when they have to beg a WAC or MWC team to play them.

By the way . . . what the #u(+ are those poor bastards going to call their "division" when the big boys start a playoff system?
Your opinion is silly on face value alone. Do you think Western Illinois, San Jose St or UNLV will be sending dozens of buses loaded with fans to TCF this fall? Forget the money that is spent outside the stadium for whatever contrived reason you want to dream up in your own mind. There is no chance any of those 3 schools will have as many fans as the Bison would. So from a ticket sales perspective it is a no-brainer.That was the point I made; nothing about making the Gophers better an idea which is speculative at best. So what if they gain financially by playing us-who cares? None of those 3 teams are powerhouses and if they are better than NDSU it is not by much so it is not clear that playing them will improve the Gopher program.

I live in Fargo and during the football season I constantly hear people talk about how NDSU would compete in the Big Ten or Big 12. I laugh at how 2 wins against Minnesota somehow translates into "we can beat Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, etc."

Iceland is tired of posts about NDSU, so he started another thread about NDSU.

Nah, didn't even say that. Bemused by delusional views that are displayed in them. 49 posts many of them quite reasonable and 1,300 views says that there is certainly interest here in who the Gophers schedule and whether NDSU should be part of the schedule. It seems to be overwhelming a problem for Bison fans. It's just interesting what they address and what they don't.

Your opinion is silly on face value alone. Do you think Western Illinois, San Jose St or UNLV will be sending dozens of buses loaded with fans to TCF this fall? Forget the money that is spent outside the stadium for whatever contrived reason you want to dream up in your own mind. There is no chance any of those 3 schools will have as many fans as the Bison would. So from a ticket sales perspective it is a no-brainer.That was the point I made; nothing about making the Gophers better an idea which is speculative at best. So what if they gain financially by playing us-who cares? None of those 3 teams are powerhouses and if they are better than NDSU it is not by much so it is not clear that playing them will improve the Gopher program.

The money difference is marginal as well. TCF only holds SO many people. Syracuse was a sell out, we could not have packed more Bison fans no matter how many bus loads they brought down. It's roughly 3,000 more tickets that the Bison would bring in compared to say a New Hampshire. That's really not enough to say that the financial incentive is really very strong. Just like you pointed out, the incentive about making the Gophers better really is not very strong.

I agree the numbers difference is less than expected. There were definitely a lot more Bison fans than New Hampshire fans from my perspective. Hard to say why a lot more fans attended the New Hampshire game. ? low ticket price? nice weather? excitement over a team that was actually winning games. On average there would be more Bison fans at a game than fans from a school 2000 miles away with a weak football tradition IMO.

I won't miss anything. If NDSU goes FBS (or whatever it's called), all I can say is "good luck." As Kill has pointed out a couple of times, NDSU can take on a greater number of academic risks with no real downside to the program. Marcus Williams is a prime example of that. He's at the U if his grades are in order. Once you can't have "special class" for football players and you are under APR, things get different in a hurry. I'm not saying the Bison are a bunch of rockheads, but there's no question at the FCS level the microscope isn't as finely tuned.

Sure, we missed on some guys that ended up at NDSU. I thought Vraa should have been offered here. Probably a few others as well, but they certainly hit the window with us on the field and while that smarts, any thought of them being a year-in, year-out threat if they move up to FBS is a total pipe dream on their part.

One thing is certain about NDSU threads

They will spawn additional posts and NDSU threads like an infection. These threads are like Viruses and must make trolls like lakes bison
smile. He started this crap, you once never even read or heard about NDSU on these boards, even 3 years ago.
Since Brewster made the comment about not scheduling NDSU because it lacked a "recruiting" incentive or splash,
we have had countless NDSU threads. Count me as one that will be glad that we don't schedule NDSU again and we will not have to talk about them in the coming years.

They will spawn additional posts and NDSU threads like an infection. These threads are like Viruses and must make trolls like lakes bison
smile. He started this crap, you once never even read or heard about NDSU on these boards, even 3 years ago.
Since Brewster made the comment about not scheduling NDSU because it lacked a "recruiting" incentive or splash,
we have had countless NDSU threads. Count me as one that will be glad that we don't schedule NDSU again and we will not have to talk about them in the coming years.

I think if a person were to scroll through these NDSU threads, you might be surprised to find that the ratio of juvenile NDSU posters to juvenile Gopher posters isn't exactly a 1:1 relationship. If the Gophers had taken care of business and thumped NDSU by 30 every time they played, this would not be an issue.

After reading any thread on NDSU, I feel dumber. With that said, I really do wish the Gophers would play them again, now that Kill has the Gophers back on the right track. Brewster and his staff were a joke and NDSU benefited from their inabilities to game plan and adjust. If anyone questions Brewsters failures, simply look at the loss to USD (a very average D-IAA program). If you were at that game, it was painfully obvious that Brewster and his staff were out coached. I would like to beg Kill to schedule games with the Dakota schools, so that we can put this to rest, rather than giving them something to hang their hat on.

Can we calm down about Zach Vraa? Have people seen his stats? 44 rec 606 yrds and 4 tds. He had one game where he had 156 yrds and 2 tds, every other game he had 76 yrds or fewer. He would be no where near a lock to even start for the gophers. I don't think he is in any better than Engel, and Barker was clearly better. Put Vraa in the B1G and his numbers would be expected to drop off quite a bit.

Can we calm down about Zach Vraa? Have people seen his stats? 44 rec 606 yrds and 4 tds. He had one game where he had 156 yrds and 2 tds, every other game he had 76 yrds or fewer. He would be no where near a lock to even start for the gophers. I don't think he is in any better than Engel, and Barker was clearly better. Put Vraa in the B1G and his numbers would be expected to drop off quite a bit.

I'm not going to rip kids, but Vraa is at least as good as a couple of scholarship WRs currently on our roster. Vraa isn't the second coming of Eric Decker, but he would have contributed for us.

I'm not going to rip kids, but Vraa is at least as good as a couple of scholarship WRs currently on our roster. Vraa isn't the second coming of Eric Decker, but he would have contributed for us.

I'm not ripping him, I agree he's as good as some of our scholarship wrs too. But when I looked up his stats I was expecting a lot more based on how people talk about him.

Top Bottom