What should Maturi do about Brewster?

What should Maturi's next move be, regarding Tim Brewster?

• Extend him for two years

Votes: 81 49.1%
  • Extend him one additional year

Votes: 34 20.6%
  • Do nothing - wait and see (as Brewster has two years left on his contract)

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • Fire him if he has a solid candidate in the works

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Fire him now regardless

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other - Please specify

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

GopherLady

Reaction score
With too many threads to read, I thought I'd take a poll on the general consensus of GHers and what Maturi's next move should be.

He should at least be given enough rope to hang himself (i.e., the opportunity to coach his recruits in his "system")...

Extend 2 years

Simple answer, get the real problem (MATURI) removed, hire an AD that demands perfection, and all other things will fall into place.

SouthMetro

This program needs a cathartic experience, and the cleansing needs to start with Brewster.

"This program needs a cathargic experience, and the cleansing needs to start with Brewster."

Nope - Maturi, or you will just get another Brewster. You need a man at the top that demands a winner.

SouthMetro

Extend 2 years with minimal buy out added to the contract

Just want to be honest with you, i've had season tickets for close to 30 years. My dad died waiting to smell the roses, and I just don't think I could take two more years of this PATHETIC nonsense.

SouthMetro

73% think he should be extended...when he has TWO years left on his contract as is. and we wonder why mn is mediocre, at best? with fans like this, who needs enemies? we set the bar low enough for ourselves, we don't need iowa or wi doing it for us. go gophers, 6-7 for 4 more years, yeah!

73% think he should be extended...when he has TWO years left on his contract as is. and we wonder why mn is mediocre, at best? with fans like this, who needs enemies? we set the bar low enough for ourselves, we don't need iowa or wi doing it for us. go gophers, 6-7 for 4 more years, yeah!

Please enlighten us with your scenario in-which, changing the entire couching staff and bringing in a new coach (which will bring yet another change in philosophy on both sides of the ball), will get the gophers a better record next year? Or the year after? And do you honestly think that Brewster will still be around in three years if he doesn't improve his record?

Brewster's recruits were true sophomores or younger this year. He has brought in the best recruiting classes that Minnesota has seen in a LONG time. I think we have to give him two more years to see what his recruits can do.

This team has a lot of upside for the future. I think you will be pleasantly surprised in 2011. :D

Please enlighten us with your scenario in-which, changing the entire couching staff and bringing in a new coach (which will bring yet another change in philosophy on both sides of the ball), will get the gophers a better record next year? Or the year after? And do you honestly think that Brewster will still be around in three years if he doesn't improve his record?

I totally agree. The only reason a team should ever go after a new coach is if the existing coach leaves or is a total disaster. Going to bowl games every year is not disastrous even if they are before January 1st.

10-2
10-2
3-9
7-6
6-6

Those are the records that got Charlie Weiss fired from Notre Dame after five seasons. Our coach has had three years. This is not Notre Dame. Let the guy coach up his own guys.

i have no faith in tim brewster's coaching ability - that's pretty much the bottom line. hence, i do no think he will win more than 7 games max, which is the same thing joel maturi said. if we keep him here another year or two - there are 2 scenarios that will happen
1. he pulls some act of god and has a good season, 8, 9, 10+ wins...and i will fully admit i was wrong, and enjoy the season. in this scenario - there's no way he's staying here. if he's a hot coach, and can get a job at another school, he's gone. he already expressed interest in the ku job and other jobs this year, he does not want to be here. the issue was, no one wanted him...if he does well, they will, he'll be gone, and we'll have to get a new coach, system, etc. in the next year or two.
2. he sucks- this scenario is far more likely, he has another 7 win or less season, off the field issues, more discipline issues on the field, etc. in this case...he will be fired. that will happen within 2 year (guessing joel won't do it after a year unless he has 5 wins or less). then we rebuild again.

so...my whole point is, better to start over sooner than later. we're not talking about long term, he will not be here in 3 years, and you can mark my words on it. so what's good about having another medicore season or two? i will give him this, he recruited decent classes, and if these kids are as tremendous as he says, a good x's and o's coach can bring that out and make them better. now you ask - what about transfers? well - if you get a good coach, there won't be many. redshirts are pretty much out, as they'd lose another year. there will be some, but not a ton. how many kids transferred when tubby came? i don't even recall a lot of kids leaving after mason left.

i'm done now, goodnight.

MT you are correct that changing this coaching staff needs to be done. But, if Maturi (the real problem) isn't replaced with a good football guy first, we may as well keep what we have, as he would surely make another poor decision. Tubby fell onto his lap, don't count on that happening again.

Let's get this Maturi outa here and hire a great AD.

SouthMetro

What's the over/under on how many more "what to do with Brewster" threads, posts, polls etc. " there will be on Gopherhole?

Extend

Maturi hired a head coach who had never even been a coordinator let alone a HC. If Brew is a problem, the problem is Maturi for hiring an inexperienced coach. Brew needs time to learn on the job. Give him 2 more years.

Constant change will not solve our issues. At least not until we pay our football coach like we pay Tubby. Talent costs money. Maturi needs to spend it on quality head coaches and staff for our football team.

"there's no way he's staying here. if he's a hot coach, and can get a job at another school, he's gone. he already expressed interest in the ku job and other jobs this year, he does not want to be here."

Why would Brewster want to stay here with the way people in this fine state have treated him and his staff?

He's been ripped more than any sports figure I've ever seen during my time as a life long resident of this state.

If I was treated at my job the way Brewster has been treated here I'd have contacted an attorney by now and I'd be litigating against my employer! But Brewster can't do that with the general public and the media. For the most part, he has to take the abuse and obviously he's a big boy, that knows the second guessing and criticism goes with the territory.

The smartest thing for Brewster to do, quite frankly, is to have one great season at Minnesota, and then when the good job offers roll in...take the first decent offer and get the hell out of the state of "Hillbillysota."

I understand the idea of letting Brewster's first full class become upperclassman and that it was highly rated so seeing it play out might be a good idea.

However, his 2008 class isn't what I had hoped for at this point. We can all point to how highly it was ranked by Rivals at the time but given what's left, it's a bit disappointing.

Players that are gone from the 2008 class:
Tramaine Brock
Terrell Combs
Tim Dandridge
Vincent Hill (never showed up but Rivals counted him in their rankings)
Simoni Lawrence
Cedric McKinley
John Nance
David Pittman
Rex Sharpe
Traye Simmons
Brodrick Smith
Kevin Whaley

That leaves 17 players, 6 of whom have proven very little in their 2 years in the program and seem destined for a career special teamer at best.

I know attrition happens. However, 12 of 29 are already gone after 2 years and if you look at Rivals rankings, 8 of the top 15 in that class are gone.

What we're left with is a shell of that class and the class ranking now means absolutely nothing when that many highly rated players left.

I understand that it still makes Mason's last 2 classes look like complete junk but my opinion is to absolutely not hang your hat on this class the next 2 years. It has been disappointing in many ways and I don't think it'll come close to living up to the lofty rankings it received 2 years ago.

Like it or not fellas/and ladies Brew AND Maturi are here for at least 2 more seasons...

1. Maturi will leave on his own accord and will go down as probably the greatest AD ever at the U of M. You don't believe me? He merged the men's and women's departments...He kept the athletic department in the black without eliminating sports....He got TCF Bank Stadium built during his regime. Now I don't know about you, but its going to be pretty hard pressed to find another AD at the UofM with that on their resume.

2. ANY head coach deserves to be here longer than Jim Wacker. Nuff said.

3. If we are truely a Big Ten team we need to keep our head coach under a 4 year contract for recruiting purposes AT ALL TIMES. That is the nature of the game. You don't want to play it, we need to leave the Big Ten for the MAC. This does not mean he cannot be fired with years remaining on his contract.

4. Anyone with any sort of college football intelligence understands that a college coach needs time for his recruits to get on the field. This is not the same as the NFL in which Chilly can go out and cover up his Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze draft flub ups and nab a Jared Allen.

I understand the idea of letting Brewster's first full class become upperclassman and that it was highly rated so seeing it play out might be a good idea.

However, his 2008 class isn't what I had hoped for at this point. We can all point to how highly it was ranked by Rivals at the time but given what's left, it's a bit disappointing.

Players that are gone from the 2008 class:
Tramaine Brock
Terrell Combs
Tim Dandridge
Vincent Hill (never showed up but Rivals counted him in their rankings)
Simoni Lawrence
Cedric McKinley
John Nance
David Pittman
Rex Sharpe
Traye Simmons
Brodrick Smith
Kevin Whaley

That leaves 17 players, 6 of whom have proven very little in their 2 years in the program and seem destined for a career special teamer at best.

I know attrition happens. However, 12 of 29 are already gone after 2 years and if you look at Rivals rankings, 8 of the top 15 in that class are gone.

What we're left with is a shell of that class and the class ranking now means absolutely nothing when that many highly rated players left.

I understand that it still makes Mason's last 2 classes look like complete junk but my opinion is to absolutely not hang your hat on this class the next 2 years. It has been disappointing in many ways and I don't think it'll come close to living up to the lofty rankings it received 2 years ago.

I know you're making the point that these guys won't be here next year, but you're making it sound like all of the players on your list are failures. Lawrence, McKinley and Simmons all were a big part of turning the defense around. They're all JUCOs, not non-contributors. (And you could make a case for taking Brock off the list, even though he wasn't around this year.) Don't diminish the 2008 recruiting class just because these guys won't be here next year.

I know you're making the point that these guys won't be here next year, but you're making it sound like all of the players on your list are failures. Lawrence, McKinley and Simmons all were a big part of turning the defense around. They're all JUCOs, not non-contributors. (And you could make a case for taking Brock off the list, even though he wasn't around this year.) Don't diminish the 2008 recruiting class just because these guys won't be here next year.

I understand those JUCOs played. My point is their playing days are done and they added a considerable amount to the rankings of the class 2 years ago. Now we're left without them.

My point being we can no longer call it a highly rated class and use it as reason for optimism in the future. We can only look at the individuals left from that class. 8 of the top 15 (RR 5.6 or higher) are now gone. That's a problem with signing JUCO players. 2 years ago on signing day, we were all thrilled with what was signed. 2 years later I'm much more pessimistic on how that class will be judged by history and it's impact the next 2 years. At this point, I see roughly 9 of 29 left from that class that look like potential impactful players. To me, that's not a good ratio for a top 25 class.

I understand your point as well, but Brew knew full well that the JUCO's were out of here after 2 years. Of that 12 players gone, weren't 6 of them JUCO's? So 6 players didn't work out as planned? Out of 29?

I would argue 8 or 9 of the 12:

Tramaine Brock (special case ... needed him this past season. He let the team down.)

Terrell Combs
Tim Dandridge
Vincent Hill
John Nance
David Pittman
Rex Sharpe
Brodrick Smith
Kevin Whaley

Yes, Pittman and Sharpe were JUCO guys but you don't bring in players with 2 years of playing time and expect them to develop into impact players in 3 years.

I'm not an expert, but do any of you who want Brewster gone understand what he's trying to do? Brewster understands what it takes to build a championship program, the guy needs time. It's been over 40 years since we've won a Big Ten Title and you naysayers want to Brewster to pull out his magic wand and make every better for you RIGHT NOW! Letting go of Breswter would be a huge mistake.

I'm not an expert, but do any of you who want Brewster gone understand what he's trying to do? Brewster understands what it takes to build a championship program, the guy needs time. It's been over 40 years since we've won a Big Ten Title and you naysayers want to Brewster to pull out his magic wand and make every better for you RIGHT NOW! Letting go of Breswter would be a huge mistake.

How many years had it been since Cincinnati had been to back to back BCS bowls before Kelly arrived? How long did it take him to do this?? What are their facilities and tradition like??

Top Bottom