What should happen to Eric Kaler, Mark Coyle, Tracey Claeys, certain football players

For the record the EOAA hasn't punished anyone. They submitted a list of recommendations that will be considered at a hearing. Coyle made the decision based off those recommendations to suspend all 10 players.

Kaler has said that the U will abide by all EOAA recommendations pending a hearing..so by that measure the EOAA has the power as their recommendations are the punishment pending review. Not to get into a semantics war but when the President of the University states that they will follow the recommendations without question it de facto empowers the board with the authority it was never intended to have and really shouldn't have given how biased it has been set up to be against all accused (not just women accusers).

But like I said, I think the legal ramifications of this in the long run will have the U revising the way it handles the more severe student conduct cases. Kinda like the real law does...a traffic ticket doesn't get a jury trial, but a murderer does. So for minor stuff a simple panel should do but if the possible outcome is a year suspension or expulsion they need to use professional investigators, allow legal representation and have a clear unbiased panel that is seeking the truth rather righting injustices as they see them.

You both really should read the cover letter. The letter stated effective immediately University of Minnesota studentship will be ended resultant in the loss of all student rights and privileges. Coyle is CC'd.

But how does that make Coyle responsible for the letter from the Student conduct board? He is doing what he is required to do as a University employee and administrator, I may not like it, you may not like it but the man was required to do his job.

But how does that make Coyle responsible for the letter from the Student conduct board? He is doing what he is required to do as a University employee and administrator, I may not like it, you may not like it but the man was required to do his job.

That's my point, this is not action by Coyle and just a bowl game suspension he doled out. It sure sounds like the accused has been punished, starting immediately.

I was trying to address you and LakevilleGoldy (said Coyle did game suspension) in the same post.

So it would have been appropriate for the players to participate in the bowl game?

Exactly. That would not have played well. It had to get ugly and the U couldn't risk having those kids play and travel after the report was completed.

I don't believe their suspensions were ever said to be because of this incident. No privacy laws were violated (technically) by that action.

Didn't the U simply announce that the players were suspended and Lee Hutton confirmed to a reporter it stemmed from the September 2 issue? In that case Hutton violated their privacy. What was stopping Hutton from saying I'm not sure? Obviously people put 2 and 2 together right away. Only way U could of protected privacy would of been not to follow their own guidelines and policies. No one cares if it's not football players. Part of being the "front porch" of the University. Can't have it both ways. Athletes need to understand they are on a stage, and if they don't understand that they are simply denying reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is now a no win situation. Once the Admin reinstated the suspended players after the police investigation this all started in motion. They had to know the ugly facts surrounding this situation and know that no matter what the police decided to do that this was going to come out...this isn't the first EOAA investigation.

I think there has to be accountability for the initial reinstatement...was that Kaler, Coyle or Claeys? Those players who were involved with the girl and the visiting high school player should have been suspended for the season regardless of what else happens.

The second issue is the far reaching expansion of the punishment by the EOAA after a non-charge from the police that added 5 more players to the list to be suspended from school for a year. This is just slightly less than an expulsion and carries life long issues for the student. It is extremely serious and seems to be way out of reason to me since these kids had no sexual contact with the girl and in one case, might not have even been in the apartment during the incident. All these guys are being called rapists in the papers and on TV and their photos and names are being plastered everywhere.

Third, I think the U (either by choice or by legal action) will need to look at how they handle these cases of sexual assault/rape within the EOAA process and don't treat them like a broken window or a public intoxication by minor. The consequences are real and far reaching and there needs to an unbiased process, professional investigators and actual privacy throughout the process. Even more so if the student is not charged by the police and this is purely a University driven investigation and punishment phase. The liability and damage from both an investigation that fails to remove a problem student and a one that falsely punishes an innocent student requires a more substantive less biased process.

+1 I couldn't agree more if I tried. Especially the bold part is what I have issue with.

The only thing I'll add is if an investigation finds an individual not guiltly/ cleared of all charges, the school administration should be able to grant additional eligibility to the accused( special cause).

Didn't the U simply announce that the players were suspended and Lee Hutton confirmed to a reporter it stemmed from the September 2 issue? In that case Hutton violated their privacy. What was stopping Hutton from saying I'm not sure? Obviously people put 2 and 2 together right away. Only way U could of protected privacy would of been not to follow their own guidelines and policies. No one cares if it's not football players. Part of being the "front porch" of the University. Can't have it both ways. Athletes need to understand they are on a stage, and if they don't understand that they are simply denying reality. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the most common reasons that judges use when they rule against a school's discipline of students for violating the Student Code of Conduct is that the school failed to follow it own published process.

Didn't the U simply announce that the players were suspended and Lee Hutton confirmed to a reporter it stemmed from the September 2 issue? In that case Hutton violated their privacy. What was stopping Hutton from saying I'm not sure? Obviously people put 2 and 2 together right away. Only way U could of protected privacy would of been not to follow their own guidelines and policies. No one cares if it's not football players. Part of being the "front porch" of the University. Can't have it both ways. Athletes need to understand they are on a stage, and if they don't understand that they are simply denying reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe this is the way it was leaked that the suspensions were related to the initial incident.

For one thing it might be helpful to have more serious training teaching players and coaches how to treat women. From what I read they currently don't have any special training on the football team. There is an on-line training for all students. Whether this is true or not I am not sure but whatever they are doing isn't working. I know that Pitino brought in a bunch of people over the summer to address just this issue. One poster mentioned that they have training a few times a year at his office and I would bet that it isn't because employees are gang banging women and getting accused of rape. Nearly every big company does this to avoid lawsuits. One would think when dealing with 18-23 year old men it might be even more necessary? It would seem to me that a good deal of this mess could have been avoided had a more extensive and adequate program been in place. Clearly Pitino didn't think what was going on was adequate and decided to do something with his guys.

I was wondering this too. Clearly many athletes do not come here with that basic understand of how to treat women. You would think these programs would take this seriously and put in some type of efforts to prevent this stuff. I know if I were coach, I would not be comfortable with ticking time bombs roaming around campus just waiting for them to go off. You would think the coaches especially would have a huge stake in making sure their players were educated.

I support a 1 year suspension for the 5 players. A 1 year suspension of the female from group sexual activities, A 1 year suspension for the EOAA. A 1 year suspension for President Kaler. A 1 year suspension for Coyle. I excuse Claeys from a suspension as there is no evidence of him participating in group sex or making any real decision in regards to this incident. I also recommend that the WSU offense be suspended for the bowl game.

I thought that when Jerry Kill took control of the football team, he instituted rules about texting & posting on the social media. Weren't no phone or other means of portable electronic devices were allowed in practices? Also, I thought the coaches were monitoring their usage.

Furthermore, he had monitors looking into whether players were attending classes. You didn't practice or play if you have unresolved academic issues.

Under Claeys, I think certain players either did not respect him or there were no upper class men around to self police certain members of the team. Team discipline has changed from Jerry Kill to Tracey Claeys somehow.

It appears that all the shenanigans that occurred were done by under class men, am I correct?

It is evident that some of the players probably came from backgrounds where they were NOT taught how to respect women.

It is time that the U invest in people who can teach players what is acceptable behavior expected of everyone representing the U.

Online classes is not enough. In large corporations, they take code of ethics and harassment of any form seriously. They actually have annual live in person training in addition to the online ones.

It is shameful that some of these kids learned their lessons in a manner that is detrimental. They ended up losing their scholarships and their self respect.

The U athletics should be about competition, and about shaping young men & women into productive good citizens.

I thought that when Jerry Kill took control of the football team, he instituted rules about texting & posting on the social media. Weren't no phone or other means of portable electronic devices were allowed in practices? Also, I thought the coaches were monitoring their usage.

Furthermore, he had monitors looking into whether players were attending classes. You didn't practice or play if you have unresolved academic issues.

Under Claeys, I think certain players either did not respect him or there were no upper class men around to self police certain members of the team. Team discipline has changed from Jerry Kill to Tracey Claeys somehow.

It appears that all the shenanigans that occurred were done by under class men, am I correct?

It is evident that some of the players probably came from backgrounds where they were NOT taught how to respect women.

It is time that the U invest in people who can teach players what is acceptable behavior expected of everyone representing the U.

Online classes is not enough. In large corporations, they take code of ethics and harassment of any form seriously. They actually have annual live in person training in addition to the online ones.

It is shameful that some of these kids learned their lessons in a manner that is detrimental. They ended up losing their scholarships and their self respect.

The U athletics should be about competition, and about shaping young men & women into productive good citizens.

+1 Very well said!

According to KSTP, Eric Kaler will be getting an earlier appraisal of his performance given the extenuating series of events under his watch.

Eric Kaler is a good man. He has done many great things for the U except for the issues involving the U athletics.

But, accountability starts at the top. These and other incidents including Woody Teague happened under his watch.

There is failure at every level indicative of a quasi-disjointed culture at the U. Now, I am sensing what Mr Carter was saying all along when he stated on numerous occasions that the culture of the University Athletics has to change. You can make fun of his scarfs, but he is right.

Mark Coyle maybe the guy caught in the middle. I don't know. The original five players should have remained suspended until all investigations and reviews have been concluded. He is a good behind the scenes administrative guy. IMHO, I just feel he needed to appear to be more engaged with everyone.

Maturi and Kill were better at this. The public must feel the connection to their beloved U. All people in the state. Jerry Kill brought that connection indefatigably. You must sell the U of M brand to the donors, boosters, alumni, and to the public.

There is a lack of synchronicity between the criminal investigative bodies and the EOAA & OSCAI. Leaks should have never occurred. There is a need to ensure due process is applied to all parties.

There appears to be an over zealous crusade to change the culture of Gopher football that fairness and due process weren't given equally to all parties.

Claeys & coaching staff, I just mentioned above in Post #41. Claeys is a good man and coach. But, his responsibility does not stop at X's & O's.

For the Seniors and team leaders - they should have been mentoring the underclassmen. Actions by a few individuals affects the entire team.

For Billy Glasscock and recruiting staff, is signing Carlton Djam a good decision? He seemed to be at the epi-center of the worst cavalcade that has ever happened in Gopher athletics history. He forever tarnish the U's reputation and the lives of those who made wrong choices those early morning hours to participate in the cabal actively or inactively. He got selected to be a host on the virtue of his 4.0 GPA? Now we know smarts does not necessarily equate with character.

This is a messed up collective failure of leadership at all levels. Leadership is not the premise of only the guy at the top. He sets the tone. You lead by example. Real leadership must be at every level down to the trenches.

Everything starts with genuine respect and integrity. You can't just codify it. Those will be empty words unless you breathe and live it on a daily basis in your thoughts and actions.

IMHO, heads will roll. It may be time to do a thorough house cleaning. Something good may come out of this worst crisis. There may be some setback to the football program and athletics in general. It will be good for the long term.

Make the U Football Program Great Again!

Top Bottom