What redshirt are you most excited to see on the field this year?

Kill has mentioned Berkley several times this year, which is a lot for a kid that didn't see the field. His programs have always put a high premium on speed, so I think he's not just the sexy choice, but the impact choice as well. I wonder if there are any other speedsters on the list. Also, you never know if one of the kids is going to catch fire in the weight room and transform from a boy to a man.

Brilliant!!

Rosen-McKinzy shouldn't be on that list. He's a 2014 recruit. He's be a true frosh this upcoming season.

Sorry, I colored outside the lines for you. My perspective is spring football. Like many of these guys on the list, I'm anxious to see true freshman Dimonic Roden-McKinzy, who is enrolled in school. Therefore, I included him. It notes in two places he is a freshman and not a redshirt freshman. Without your clue, I may have never realized it. I say clue because we don't have a "Rosen-McKinzy" anywhere in the program. But thank you.

Sorry, my list was of no value to you.

And while I'm still pissed because the basketball team lost... Hinojosa is a junior if we are nitpicking. Maybe that would have been less redundant info for you to point out.

I didn't include Cody Poock because he's a sophomore, (and I knew that would just blow your mind) but new to the program. I'm also anxious to see him in spring practices. I do realize he is not a redshirt just in case you wanted to provide that extra value you contribute.

Sorry, I colored outside the lines for you. My perspective is spring football. Like many of these guys on the list, I'm anxious to see true freshman Dimonic Roden-McKinzy, who is enrolled in school. Therefore, I included him. It notes in two places he is a freshman and not a redshirt freshman. Without your clue, I may have never realized it. I say clue because we don't have a "Rosen-McKinzy" anywhere in the program. But thank you.

And while I'm still pissed because the basketball team lost... Hinojosa is a junior if we are nitpicking. Maybe that would have been less redundant info for you to point out.

I didn't include Cody Poock because he's a sophomore, (and I knew that would just blow your mind) but new to the program. I'm also anxious to see him in spring practices. I do realize he is not a redshirt just in case you wanted to provide that extra value you contribute.

was his post really that offensive to you?

Thanks for pointing the error of my ways. I hope you have an outstanding day.

Daletavius Mcghee. Another "2 star" DB that Kill has raved about.

I'll mention Jalen Myrick. I know he's not eligible for this question but I liked what I saw from him on special teams and he's supposedly one of the fastest players on the team (the reason they ran the fake punt against Indiana with him). The last CB we played as a true freshman on ST turned out pretty good (Murray) so I'm excited to see if Myrick follows that same path. I think he'll play a lot at CB next year.

I've got to go with Nate Wozniak too, you don't see 6'9" TE's too often, it'll be interesting to see how they incorporate him into their offense.

Behind Maxx most likely.

Can't forget about two LB's that Kill is fond of, Dinero and Rayfield.

Jeepers. If you're here, who's running hell?

On offense, Streveler. I think he may have the X factor at qb if Leidner can't make the next step. The kid has stupid moves. If he can make good decisions...we are going to be rolling on offense.

I'm not as excited about Berkeley as others here but he brings some speed. I need to see him in action. Being a great running back in the big ten involves a lot of factors like patience, vision, making a guy miss.

On defense, I'm wondering if Hinojosa can make an impact this year. He seemed to be in the backfield and around the ball a lot during the spring game. He seems like a gamer.

I'm interested to see all of the linebackers including Wipson. He should be full strength. McGee is intriguing at db.

Should be a fun spring.

Kinda harsh bro.

I'll mention Jalen Myrick. I know he's not eligible for this question but I liked what I saw from him on special teams and he's supposedly one of the fasted players on the team (the reason they ran the fake punt against Indiana with him). The last CB we played as a true freshman on ST turned out pretty good (Murray) so I'm excited to see if Myrick follows that same path. I think he'll play a lot at CB next year.

I really like Myrick too. I might better put him in the "player to have breakout year" category? As I see it, we're probably looking at Eric Murray & Derek Wells (hopefully healthy & ready to go 100%) with Myrick as the #3 CB while BBC works his way back into the rotation by B1G season. If Wells isn't 100% then Myrick becomes even more important. Myrick will be a very good player for us when he's an upperclassman imo.

Roden-McKinzy, Dimonic QB 6-0 214 FR Kansas City, Mo. (Wyandotte HS)
45 Ayinde, Adekunle DB 6-0 185 RS FR Blaine, Minn. (Blaine High School)
30 Wipson, Chris LB 6-2 210 RS FR Plymouth, Minn. (Wayzata HS)
5 Streveler, Chris QB 6-2 209 RS FR Crystal Lake, Ill. (Marian Central Catholic HS)
22 Borchardt, Jeff WR 6-0 185 RS FR Medina, Minn. (Wayzata HS)
40 Starks, Alexander DB 5-11 200 RS FR Plainfield, Ill. (Plainfield North HS)
26 Smith, Brian WR 6-4 212 RS FR Milwaukee, Wis. (Brookfield East HS)
28 Santoso, Ryan K/P 6-5 260 RS FR Pace, Fla. (Pace HS)
11 Carter, Eric WR 5-11 185 RS FR Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson Senior HS)
49 Salzwedel, Owen DL 6-6 240 RS FR Beaver Dam, Wis. (Beaver Dam HS)
39 Wozniak, Nate TE 6-9 258 RS FR Greenwood, Ind. (Center Grove HS)
19 Conway, Michael QB 6-5 205 RS FR La Crescent, Minn. (Aquinas HS [Wis.])
15 Rhoda, Conor QB 6-2 180 RS FR Eagan, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
59 Dixon, Ray LB 6-3 205 RS FR Loxahatchee, Fla. (Seminole Ridge HS)
32 Edwards, Berkley RB 5-9 190 RS FR Novi, Mich. (Chelsea HS)
90 Peppers, Demaris DL 6-3 270 RS FR Memphis, Tenn. (Fairley HS)
8 McGhee, Daletavious DB 6-1 195 RS FR Decatur, Ga. (Cedar Grove HS)
70 Fahning, Chad OL 6-6 270 RS FR St. Paul, Minn. (DeLaSalle HS)
76 Mayes, Alex OL 6-5 285 RS FR Van Alstyne, Texas (Van Alstyne HS)
60 Leidner, Matt OL 6-2 280 RS FR Lakeville, Minn. (Lakeville South HS)
45 Hart, Nick TE 6-5 220 RS FR Prior Lake, Minn. (Prior Lake HS)
33 Harte, Andrew K 6-0 180 RS FR Downers Grove, Ill. (Montini Catholic HS)
38 Laster, De'Niro LB 6-4 230 RS FR Cleveland Heights, Ohio (Cleveland Heights HS)
42 Juenemann, Justin K 6-0 158 RS FR Phillipsburg, Kan. (Phillipsburg HS)

Lots of possibilities! 23 + True Freshman

From this list I gotta go Nick Hart.

I'm excited to see a lot of them. The coaches raved about all the young DL after the spring game. Also a 6'9" TE is a pretty cool weapon to have.

I really like Myrick too. I might better put him in the "player to have breakout year" category? As I see it, we're probably looking at Eric Murray & Derek Wells (hopefully healthy & ready to go 100%) with Myrick as the #3 CB while BBC works his way back into the rotation by B1G season. If Wells isn't 100% then Myrick becomes even more important. Myrick will be a very good player for us when he's an upperclassman imo.

Speaking of Wells - anyone know if they'll keep him at CB in 2014? I have been wondering this. Wells, IMO, is a better S. My understanding is they moved him to CB some for depth reasons but mainly cuz they thought he was less likely to get hurt there. That didn't pan out.

If 6'4" maxx williams was a matchup nightmare for defenses can't wait to see what defenses have to do to cover a 6'9" wozniak in the red zone... If he has good hands like Maxx it could really help out our young QBs since he should be able to go up and get a pass pretty much wherever its thrown.

Phil Nelson would have found a way to overthrow him.

Speaking of Wells - anyone know if they'll keep him at CB in 2014? I have been wondering this. Wells, IMO, is a better S. My understanding is they moved him to CB some for depth reasons but mainly cuz they thought he was less likely to get hurt there. That didn't pan out.

It might depend on BBC's recovery. I could see Wells taking on Vereen's role last year in being a hybrid type guy. Either playing corner or safety depending on injuries, matchups, etc. The key for Wells is to stay healthy though.

Unless I'm wrong about Hinojosa red-shirting this past year, he'll be a rs-soph next year.

Nate Wozniak is such an intriguing prospect. At the home opener walk, his Mom was so enthusiastic in greeting him. So it seems he has family support. But at the Iowa game, I was watching him in the pre-game drills and he was dropping almost every pass to him. Made me think he's either trying too hard, too nervous or he has skillets for hands. I'm hoping it's trying too hard. He needs to relax, concentrate and become a go-to guy.

Unless I'm wrong about Hinojosa red-shirting this past year, he'll be a rs-soph next year.

This is what I thought as well, but I guess I'm not quite sure if he is a '4 years to play 3' kind of guy or not.

I was scanning down the list of players - Saw "Leidner" listed as 6-2 & 280, and my 1st thought was that Mitch was getting really big for a QB - then I realized it was his brother......

Seriously, the offense needs some quick-strike capability, so I am very curious to see how they use Edwards. I hope they find a way to get him at least 10 touches a game.

I don't think there's any way he moves away from CB. When healthy he's our best CB, maybe the best player on our D even. We have more depth at Safety than at CB right now & Claeys likes to use one CB up on the line, that can blitz & tackle, acting as an extra safety/linebacker/hybrid. Wells is perfect for the position imo. Rumor has it the staff is confident that he'll be 100% rehabbed from surgery & ready to roll next Fall.

I don't think there's any way he moves away from CB. When healthy he's our best CB, maybe the best player on our D even. We have more depth at Safety than at CB right now & Claeys likes to use one CB up on the line, that can blitz & tackle, acting as an extra safety/linebacker/hybrid. Wells is perfect for the position imo. Rumor has it the staff is confident that he'll be 100% rehabbed from surgery & ready to roll next Fall.

Yep, in our system, I think Wells is a much better CB than a S and when healthy is a pretty dynamic football player.

As you pointed out, we have quite a bit at S with Thompson, Johnson, Travis, Levine and I believe McGhee will be back there. If BBC is healthy and Myrick continues to impress, I wouldn't be shocked to see some situations where Wells plays like a safety, but his main position should be CB.

Top Bottom