What letter grade would you give the 2011 Gopher recruiting class?

What letter grade would you give the 2011 Gopher recruiting class?

• Total voters
I am constantly amazed at the willingness of our fans to accept and even reward mediocrity. As I have said, Kill had some serious disadvantages and I expect and look forward to him doing much better with recruiting next year and beyond.

This class is typical of MN recruiting and is bottom of Big Ten and BCS. To grade this class a B is a joke...C is a gift, IMO. I am certain Kill isn't giving himself and his staff a B. He is saying what i am saying...no excuses, got to do better...time to go to work with what we have but need better to compete within our division and conference.

A "B"??? LOL.

I completely agree with your sentiments. I could possibly see a very generous poster giving this class a C if they were taking in to account Kill's late start. I am very disappointed at the willingness of so many posters to constantly lower the bar in all areas. Whether it's how often we should win trophy games, what is a "good" Big Ten record, or the criteria for a "good" recruiting class. What I find most amazing on the recruiting front is we had a decade of evidence of what low rated recruiting classes bring. We constantly saw our team lose to rivals, and finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten. In that ten year span, we were one of only two Big Ten teams to never finish in the top 3 in the conference. Then for a two to three year span we saw improved recruiting and some terrible results on the field, followed by our usual results on the field, followed by some terrible results. Somehow, this 2-3 year period shows that recruiting rankings don't matter, as if we learned nothing from the ten years prior. It's not a good thing to be ranked in the bottom 1/4 of the conference in the rankings, no matter how you spin it.

I was shuffling back and forth between B and C, and I ended up deciding on B. I think my main reason is because I just don't see nearly as much attrition out of this class. The Brew recruits have to be guys that loved the U because they stuck with the U through some pretty ugly moments and the new guys are guys that Kill has recruited. I point that out because Kill seems to have said that he puts a premium on wanting to be here and academics, if that isn't just lip service, we should start seeing better and better player retention.

So if this class, which seems "ok" talent wise can grow and avoid the kind of attrition of the last classes then it will be a pretty decent class.

I think this is the key. Although only a few of these players are considered "big time talent" (Olson and Shortell may be on the short list) I get the sense that this class will be with us for the long haul. So while their rankings based on their high school play doesn't seem to add up to what Brew brought in, taking our attrition rate down to a minimum will give many of them 4 or 5 years in the system to grow and develop. With what Coach Kill's staff has shown in their previous stops, I am confident that this group, currently ranked #49 in the country, will outperform many of the classes ranked in the Top 48 by the time they are juniors and seniors. I think Coach Kill "gets it"--it matters little what these kids might be able to do this year and next as many of them won't be playing this year and next regardless, it's what they can do in 2013, 2014, and 2015 that really matters. Unlike in previous years, I think we can expect that vast majority of them to be around 3, 4, or 5 years down the road. I give the class a B and hold out hope that we can bring in 2-4 more players between now and April to bring the class into the B+ range!

The part that impressed me was that he quickly determined where the major issues where (d end, secondary, kicking, o line) and went after these. As to the grading of the group, I gave it a "C" only because it was about as good as could be done. BCS level kids didn't know Kill and Da U doesn't sell itself. The stadium is nice, but only 3 wins speak loudly.

If this really qualified and single direction coaching team can show 6 wins next year, our class next year could be much better. In particular, I wouldn't be surprised to see a real lock-up of the boarder. This team has talent and for the first time in a while will get qualified coaching, maybe even extraordinary coaching!

NCGO4...

...it's border, not boarder. Two posters have now blown the spelling of this complex word.

:mad:

I gave the recruiting class a C. My reasoning is there are players like DCT, who have athletic ability yet remain unproven football players.

If I were to breakdown my letter grade, I would give coach kill an B for balance and filling long term needs.

I give coach kill an F for not bringing in at least one decent running back (here it comes!)

But, I give the team a B+ for offensive linemen and ends.

I give the team a C+ for defensive ends (although, one looked terrific on film beating out guys who wouldn't play beyond high school).

I project this class to potentially graduate from college. From their interviews and such, this is a more articulate class or well-spoken class -- a solid B.

I give the coach an F for not landing at least one DT. We are young and stocked at the position until 3 years from now, when it will begin to look mighty thin.

So, I am SWAGing it, giving my "SME" opinion. Not much to go on. High probability that I will be proven wrong yet again.

Some of you guys are hilarioius.

You loved Brewster in the beginning and touted him as the great demi-god recruiter. Well, his first class didn't break the top 50 by Rivals.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesotapreps/football/recruiting/teamrank/2007/all/all

Kill's class did crack the top 50.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesotapreps/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/all/all

Yes, Brewster did have MN in at #17 adn #39 in 08 and 09 (we won't mention here how few of those are still around), but once again, his 2010 class did not crack the top 50.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesotapreps/football/recruiting/teamrank/2010/all/all

I don't know or understand the expectations some of you have, but I think Kill did just fine and I have confidence his next two classes will be much better.

Peace.

By cracked the top 50 you mean literally landed at 50 just edging out Southern Methodist. A mighty feat.

I gave this class a C. Basically because Kill hit the average for the Mason years, more or less. Frankly, given how inexact all these BS rankings are, I question whether there's any significant difference between a class ranked 40th vs. 60th. Yeah, the top 10 classes rock, and you don't want to be in the bottom 20, but in between, machts nichts. If there was a way to assign a p value to this stuff in minitab, you'd be looking south at 0.05.

Also, Kill gets the benefit of the doubt because he inherited a mess and got here late to clean it up. Horton and the rest of the staff did a great job holding onto most of the commits after Brewster got S-canned, or it would have been worse.

So, that ranks a C. I'll say this, though. If Kill brings in this level of class next year, I'd be inclined to give it a D. And in 2013, F.

By what measure.

The Rivals data base that is immediately available goes back to 2002. In the five year period from 2002-2006 Mason had only one class break the top 50 and that was in 2003. I don't think Mason's average was above 50.

Look at the offer lists for the Iowa recruits and you cannot tell me that their class didn't smash ours. Most of our players offer lists are pretty weak. Iowa was beating out some big time schools for their kids. Goes to show you that the rating system for rivals and scout is still extremely flawed once you get out of the top 100 or 200 kids.

Not as weak as it was last year, in my opinion. Check it out. Brewster's last class had 9 scholarship recruits who either had no other offer or only an offer to two from FCS schools or a couple of Sunbelt or Buffalo, directional Michigan (MAC) school. This years athletes are nearly that weak in their offers.

I gave it a c. The recruiting class itself gets a D, but Kill's ability to keep most of the group intact and add some others gets a B. So, inbetween is a C. I agree with GopherFB that we will only have 1 All-Big Ten player in this group. Although, I think Campion or some other O-Lineman could also get All-Conference.

Making a Bowl game is not enough

The rooms name is 6 National Titles Football Forum
Seems like we need to recruit better so we can change the name to
7 National Titles Football Forum

Scout ranks our class as 77 nationally and 11th in Big Ten
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=14&yr=2011

Rivals ranks our class as 50th nationally and 9th in the Big Ten
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/BIG10/all

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/BIG10/all

The rooms name is 6 National Titles Football Forum
Seems like we need to recruit better so we can change the name to
7 National Titles Football Forum

Scout ranks our class as 77 nationally and 11th in Big Ten
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=14&yr=2011

Rivals ranks our class as 50th nationally and 9th in the Big Ten

Like I said...a couple more classes like this and Kill takes his place alongside past failures.

Clueless in the USAF

Like I said...a couple more classes like this and Kill takes his place alongside past failures.

For your sake I hope you are a troll. Otherwise you truly don't have a clue what is happening at the U of M and what it takes to build a program. Also, please tell me you are not in the air force and, if you are, for god sakes don't tell me that you in are intelligence!

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd like to see how the class performs on the field before I give it any letter grade.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd like to see how the class performs on the field before I give it any letter grade.
There's a high correlation between stars and probability of becoming an All American which means we can at least have some idea of what talent was brought in by this class, which by its 77th ranking you can see is not much.

You are better than that

There's a high correlation between stars and probability of becoming an All American which means we can at least have some idea of what talent was brought in by this class, which by its 77th ranking you can see is not much.

I believe the probability of becoming an All American is statistically higher for a five or four star recruit. But so what? The All American team is a beauty contest based on your teams success.

Do the SEC teams have great recruits? Do they have good teams? Do they have All Americans? Yes

But it is not the only way to be successful. We are not in the SEC. We are not Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska. We need to build to that level.

Boise St four All Americans ...3 guys at 3 star ratings...no higher than 27 at their position. And one two star All American. Why? team success

TCU three All Americans...3 star #34 rated safety....2 star and a 2 star who played football his senior year in hs only and had zero offers besides TCU

I'm not doing all the off brand non traditional powerhouse schools but I'll bet the research is the same. If you win you get All Americans. You don't need 5 star recruits to win. You need coaching!

Sure the SEC schools have built in advantages. Ohio St, Nebraska, USC etc have tradition. They are going to get 4 and 5 star guys. We are not until we win. It's stupid to put your hopes there. You can wish it for it. You can pray for it but it ain't happening until we win with 2 and three star guys or we pay players. (Not advocating that) Coaching has to make the difference.

Unless a guy lives in Minnesota and has wanted to be a Gopher all his life....why would a four or five star guy pick Minnesota when he could go anywhere he desires? 3 wins or 12? Cold climate or warm? Difficult school to get into or an easy one? Without unique circumstances, we have to win to get four and five star recruits....or cheat. (pleased we have not done that in football)
It's silly to discuss it. Nice but totally unnecessary to winning. It's why it's hard. It's why we have not had success. Crappy recruiting coupled with good offensive coaching and lousy defense....overall not going to work. Better recruiting...no coaching...worse results.

I believe the probability of becoming an All American is statistically higher for a five or four star recruit. But so what? The All American team is a beauty contest based on your teams success.

Do the SEC teams have great recruits? Do they have good teams? Do they have All Americans? Yes

But it is not the only way to be successful. We are not in the SEC. We are not Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska. We need to build to that level.

Boise St four All Americans ...3 guys at 3 star ratings...no higher than 27 at their position. And one two star All American. Why? team success

TCU three All Americans...3 star #34 rated safety....2 star and a 2 star who played football his senior year in hs only and had zero offers besides TCU

I'm not doing all the off brand non traditional powerhouse schools but I'll bet the research is the same. If you win you get All Americans. You don't need 5 star recruits to win. You need coaching!

Sure the SEC schools have built in advantages. Ohio St, Nebraska, USC etc have tradition. They are going to get 4 and 5 star guys. We are not until we win. It's stupid to put your hopes there. You can wish it for it. You can pray for it but it ain't happening until we win with 2 and three star guys or we pay players. (Not advocating that) Coaching has to make the difference.

Unless a guy lives in Minnesota and has wanted to be a Gopher all his life....why would a four or five star guy pick Minnesota when he could go anywhere he desires? 3 wins or 12? Cold climate or warm? Difficult school to get into or an easy one? Without unique circumstances, we have to win to get four and five star recruits....or cheat. (pleased we have not done that in football)
It's silly to discuss it. Nice but totally unnecessary to winning. It's why it's hard. It's why we have not had success. Crappy recruiting coupled with good offensive coaching and lousy defense....overall not going to work. Better recruiting...no coaching...worse results.

I think this is a good post. Good points here.

Yeah, typical of Brewster recruiting, which was much, much better than Mason.

By whom??? You?

Scout has us ranked 11th in the Big Ten and 70th overall...that's who. Rivals has us 8th and 50th overall...not sure what you are looking for in a recruiting class but an average of 9.5 out of 12 and 60th overall isn't good enough.

Again, this thread was rate the class...not rate the coach or rate the circumstance. In a vacuum, this class wasn't rated high. Doesn't mean in three years we won't be saying something different...we have seen great classes (2007) turn to crap in a hurry...but as of today, based on the ratings of the players compared to other teams in our league and accross the BCS...this class is not good. A "D" is a fair grade for the class...I give Kill and staff a C...would have been a B if they could have grabbed one top player at the end...Estime would have done it.

Scout has us ranked 11th in the Big Ten and 70th overall...that's who. Rivals has us 8th and 50th overall...not sure what you are looking for in a recruiting class but an average of 9.5 out of 12 and 60th overall isn't good enough.

In the post I quoted, you stated that our recruiting class was "bottom of the Big Ten and BCS." I have a friend whose husband is pretty high up in the U of M athletic department, and she told me that he said neither of 11th out of 12 in the Big Ten nor 62nd out of 66 BCS schools (according to Scout) is "bottom." And he's high up in the AD, so his word is infallible.

For your sake I hope you are a troll. Otherwise you truly don't have a clue what is happening at the U of M and what it takes to build a program. Also, please tell me you are not in the air force and, if you are, for god sakes don't tell me that you in are intelligence!

Please let us know what's 'happening' at the U, and what it takes to build a program.

I was under the impression the U was trying to be better at winning football games, and was trying to attract the type of players likely to be able to help accomplish that goal.

If it makes you feel better, I'm no longer on active duty. I retired several years ago.

Been waiting for this

Finally landed a running back for this year and he looks like a diamond in the rough.
I am happy that Coach Kill continues to recruit for this year.

My grade: B-. I am holding my grade-book open since Coach Kill is still turning in work. That is what will make this program a success. Don't ever stop. Don't ever give up. Keep working hard. Keep working smart. This story isn't done yet.

Saw coach Kill's wife at the Ohio State game this weekend. He is right. Never give up.
Looked like the entire football staff was there enjoying the game a few rows down from Kevin McHale. (The men's bball team looked scared, unprepared, and not coached for that game. Tubby needed to take a few more time outs than he did! Beastly OSU.) A few recruits at the game as well. Saw the team get off the bus at Bierman after the game -- coincidentally. Whoever the recruit wearing the Royals team letter-jacket looked like either a WO or CB build. Tall, lanky, strong looking kid, who was smiling all the way!

Go Gophers!

Finally landed a running back for this year and he looks like a diamond in the rough.

Are you referring to C. Thompson? Assuming that you are, I think taking as an aggregate these facts:

1) Kill has gone on record as saying we needed more DBs and WRs than we got out of this class;

2) We don't know whether D. Crawford will get his issues straightened out and be on the team;

and

3) Thompson was recruited by DB coach Jay Sawvel

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Thompson will be playing DB, not RB, for our Gophers.

Are you referring to C. Thompson? Assuming that you are, I think taking as an aggregate these facts:

1) Kill has gone on record as saying we needed more DBs and WRs than we got out of this class;

2) We don't know whether D. Crawford will get his issues straightened out and be on the team;

and

3) Thompson was recruited by DB coach Jay Sawvel

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Thompson will be playing DB, not RB, for our Gophers.

Is Thompson about 6-2? This kid was taller than I am at 6-0.

Bookkeeping

We have 110 guys on the roster. It doesn't include the preferred walk ons

6 QB
6 RB
1 FB
6 TE
11WR
19 OL
18 DL
19 DB
17 LB
2 LS
3 K
1 Ath
1 Punter

Based on those numbers plus adding preferred walkons....gosh that is a lot of people. I still can't believe we want another linebacker and based on the saturation of all positions I'd think more running backs would be normal. Especially if you play three at once. Now you just have two teams of them. Linebackers you got six teams of them. OL only four teams worth of guys. etc

Just thought it was interesting.

Top Bottom