What is wrong with this team?

They all are selfish !!!
They think the NBA is in their futures ,but it's not !!!
The players are UNCOACHABLE !!!
BEN must recruit players that want to be coached, yes like WISCONSIN

They can’t shoot- including FT’s. We r back 2 playing hero ball…….

It has certainly been tough to watch. Outside of some moments by Payne, the entire team has been very disappointing. Trust the process.

Well, Garcia sucks!

The feet are slow on this team and they can't go by anyone.

The gophers have not been able to go by anyone for years.

Last edited:

You think our practice hoops for free throws are slanted or something? Never been able to understand why our teams are consistently worse than the entire country. Must just be Minnesota teams and extra points…

They can’t shoot, they play poor defense, and have no offensive flow at all. Plus only 6 guys are allowed to play meaningful minutes in a game. This team is gonna make the 2015-2016 team look like the dream team.

They can’t shoot, they play poor defense, and have no offensive flow at all. Plus only 6 guys are allowed to play meaningful minutes in a game. This team is gonna make the 2015-2016 team look like the dream team.

They are so selfish
The me 1st , I gotta get mine attitude is so prelivant.
I NEVER SEE THE EXTRA PASS !!!

Mn hired a coach who was mentored by Pitino. The cure is never more of the same. This will be the epitaph for this coaching hire. Please don’t ban me.
You won't be banned for speaking like this. This is one of the most sane things that you have posted. In this case, however, you are not correct. Johnson has been mentored by plenty of others besides Pitino.

It's a bad puzzle of mismatched pieces. And as much as we want to believe Evans and Christie will fix it, we already see what relying on freshman does. So...yikes. Hopefully the darkest before the dawn.

lordy this is bad. nothing left for this year apart from freshman gaining some experience. pull Bett's redshirt, play the frosh. maybe next year when you add in evans and christie you might have a mediocre d1 team, but something to build on

Knee jerk reactions about a team that we knew wasn't going to be very good. Four of our top seven (57%) are true freshman. I fully expect things to get better as the year plays out. Then....hopefully both Fox and Ihnen will be ready next year. We simply have no depth.

Knee jerk reactions about a team that we knew wasn't going to be very good. Four of our top seven (57%) are true freshman. I fully expect things to get better as the year plays out. Then....hopefully both Fox and Ihnen will be ready next year. We simply have no depth.
Ihnen would have helped for sure. Fox? Who knows. All I know about him is that his brother scored 70 for Stout last week. School record!

Simply put BJ has got to prove himself both as an in game coach and in roster construction. He still gets time, no pitch forks yet. But his in game coaching is non existent. And while myself and any rational fan is pleased with his freshman recruiting. His portal usage has been baaaaaaad.

Everyone talks about how its a young team, and it is. But the biggest issue is the only PG on the team is a low major transfer. Cooper can play Big10 hoops but as a 17 minutes off the bench guy. Not as a starter who needs to play nearly 40 a night. Hes too slow and awful defensively.

His use of the portal so far is borderline negligent.

Also, put me in the camp that who starts doesnt typically matter. But ther is absolutely no logical reason to start TT each half each game for 2 minutes and then not play him again. If hes clearly not good enough to play more than like 5 minutes a game. WHy the heck is he setting the tone for both halves? Thats psyche ward logic.

Again, lots of time. But hes got to do more than just recruit solid freshman in state. Cannot live off the "they are young" excuse every year.

lordy this is bad. nothing left for this year apart from freshman gaining some experience. pull Bett's redshirt, play the frosh. maybe next year when you add in evans and christie you might have a mediocre d1 team, but something to build on
I've been trying to tell everyone this. This year has ZERO to do with wins & losses. The ONLY thing that matters is our freshmen gaining experience.

That being said...Coach Johnson isn't above criticism. He needs to set Battle & Garcia straight about what the plan is. Either you're both returning next year, or you're both out of here...this isn't a 1-year NBA audition. And Cooper shouldn't be shooting at all.

Reactions: sal

I've been trying to tell everyone this. This year has ZERO to do with wins & losses. The ONLY thing that matters is our freshmen gaining experience.

That being said...Coach Johnson isn't above criticism. He needs to set Battle & Garcia straight about what the plan is. Either you're both returning next year, or you're both out of here...this isn't a 1-year NBA audition.

Wut? Either you're returning or you're out of here? What does that even mean?

It’s pretty simple…..Battle and Garcia 4-19. Both are SUPPOSED to be borderline all-B10 type players. Instead, neither steps foot inside the lane and both settle for easy jumpers. The fact that neither went to the FT line is ridiculous. When shots aren’t falling, grow some balls and take the ball to the hole. Gonna be a long year.

Gophers have very good post players with Payne and Garcia but zero perimeter shooting meaning those guys aren't going to get good looks as the defense will clog the paint. Post players getting to the line is good, but they're not making free-throws.

Need to make the 3 pointers to space the floor. Haven't been able to do that at all.
High turnover rate is also brutal (seem to be a lot of offensive foul turnovers.)

So many small (some largely mental) things that need to be improved, and the results will follow.

Ihnen would have helped for sure. Fox? Who knows. All I know about him is that his brother scored 70 for Stout last week. School record!
Unless Ihnen can be a legit PG or CG, he’s not helping this roster.

We need a player like Dre Hollins, Nate Mason, Payton Willis, Dre Matthieu, Devoe Joseph, Al Nolen etc... Someone who can break down a defense, distribute and score.

College Basketball is about dynamic guards.

Unless Ihnen can be a legit PG or CG, he’s not helping this roster.

We need a player like Dre Hollins, Nate Mason, Payton Willis, Dre Matthieu, Devoe Joseph, Al Nolen etc... Someone who can break down a defense, distribute and score.

College Basketball is about dynamic guards.
No question we can use a guard or two, but I do believe Ihnen would contribute, and the team would be better with him. He might be able to make a free throw, for example.

So a d2 player of year (two years ago) who’s knees exploded…not once but twice and Ilhen (who has played maybe two good weeks in a Gophs jersey coupled with 1.5 years of hot garbage)?

It’s pretty simple…..Battle and Garcia 4-19. Both are SUPPOSED to be borderline all-B10 type players. Instead, neither steps foot inside the lane and both settle for easy jumpers. The fact that neither went to the FT line is ridiculous. When shots aren’t falling, grow some balls and take the ball to the hole. Gonna be a long year.
Battle shooting under 25% on the season and barely 20% from 3, but yet he continues to hoist up awful looking three pointers. I agree completely, if the outside shots aren't happening, take it to the damn hole!

Top Bottom