Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Coaching - Offense

Votes: 69 63.3%
  • Coaching - Defense

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ForecastingAWin

Reaction score
This was a gross, gross football game if you're a Gopher fan. There are numerous issues that reared their ugly head in the BG game. Where do you lay the blame for this one?

It ultimately falls to the head coach. If it’s the QB, you need to bench him. If it’s the OC, you need to fire him or take away his playing duties. If it’s you yourself demanding vanilla, then you need to get out of the way.

Forgot to include special teams in the poll, apologies for the oversight

I don't see any particular group being the problem. It looks like people just aren't trying. Like they are just going through the motions. 'Now, some are giving their asses, like Ko, but as a team, not good.

If you said coaching offense. You are saying it’s the head coach

In case you were wondering

I know many of you played high school football. You know how you had some big guys who played, started, and were big, but really didn't have a drive or total love of football.

I question that about our offensive line. They are big, strong, etc......but do they have the drive and nasty?

I feel our O-Line somehow lacks chemistry even though it’s been the same guys for 3-4 years now. They were better obviously 2 years ago. Lack the nastiness needed as was said.

The biggest thing is lack of confidence in the play calling. I played both sides of the ball but mainly defense. I can tell you running the same base 6 plays and lacking success gets old, especially when in practice you use hundreds of plays and know how much deeper the book goes and when a coach can’t think deep enough to throw something different out there for a big play on 2nd and 2 instead of just another off tackle run, it gets discouraging. Players are pumped when a reverse pass or deep throw gets called.

Tim, that's my problem with them. Theres zero nasty ever. They stand there like a fat guy picking up a pie for grandmas cataract surgery. They should be driving a 275 pound DT into tuesday, especially one from bowling green.

The problem is Fleck is a very good recruiter and motivator, but not a great x's and o's coach... that means he has to rely on his coordinators and out talent'ing his opponents. Well, when that kind of a coach would rather hire his friends than find someone actually qualified, you're gonna get the messes we've had last season and this season. The Offense has regressed so much, it's not even recognizable, and we've only lost two receivers (albeit NFL caliber receivers). If we wanna be successful, keep fleck for recruiting and motivating, and don't let him hire his friends. Hire proven offensive and defensive coordinators with track records, and we'll be a consistent winner.

The problem is Fleck is a very good recruiter and motivator, but not a great x's and o's coach... that means he has to rely on his coordinators and out talent'ing his opponents. Well, when that kind of a coach would rather hire his friends than find someone actually qualified, you're gonna get the messes we've had last season and this season. The Offense has regressed so much, it's not even recognizable, and we've only lost two receivers (albeit NFL caliber receivers). If we wanna be successful, keep fleck for recruiting and motivating, and don't let him hire his friends. Hire proven offensive and defensive coordinators with track records, and we'll be a consistent winner.
We literally run almost an identical offense to two years ago

The very good recruiting is arguable. The guys that got pushed around out there today by Bowling Green may have had some stars attached to their name in high school, but that didn't show today.

Need to fire Sanford, period.

The problem is that we had inflated expectations for PJ as a coach and Morgan as a QB based on the Gophers having 2 NFL high caliber WRs on the team at the same time. It covered up a ton of our traditional deficiencies due to their playmaking - they could get separation and go up to get balls. With them gone, Morgan looks a whole lot more like Leidner than anyone wants. Leidner's melt down vs. WI will always be my measuring stick for a QB that broke mentally. I hope Morgan can pull it together. For this PJ fans, I think you can sleep tight that he is not going to USC.

I truly believe it is as simple as others that Mike Sanford should no longer be the OC / Calling plays.

The play-calling is nothing but predictable, which is exactly where you don't want to be. He simply doesn't understand game flow.

PJ talked about the offense never getting into a "rhythm" today. Play-calling is a large part of getting you into that rhythm. Sanford just doesn't understand how to do that.

PJ should be the head coach of this football team going forward no doubt.

It’s not just one thing. The OLine, at least today, was lazy. TM looks like he’s lost out there most of the time. The play calling is unimaginative, and that’s on PJ not Sanford. PJ’s offensive philosophy needs to change or we will never be more than we are now. He‘s stubborn and I just don’t see any change coming, unless one of the other quarterbacks is a lights out passer. It’s extremely frustrating.

I truly believe it is as simple as others that Mike Sanford should no longer be the OC / Calling plays.

The play-calling is nothing but predictable, which is exactly where you don't want to be. He simply doesn't understand game flow.

PJ talked about the offense never getting into a "rhythm" today. Play-calling is a large part of getting you into that rhythm. Sanford just doesn't understand how to do that.

PJ should be the head coach of this football team going forward no doubt.
If PJ wanted different play calling we would have it. Sanford is running the offense under the direction of PJ. He’s old school and I don’t see that changing. He’s too cautious and plays not to lose instead of playing to win.

You cannot use rhythm as an excuse in a game you are favored to win by this much. You can play that card if you win by 10 when you are supposed to win by 20. This was a total collapse. It is sad that we are back to a Gopher season pretty much over before we hit October. Sorry, but this one is on PJ. If the problem is the OC - he has seen it already and did not change it. If it is Morgan - he has no backup plan and did nothing to change it. If it is needing to change up mental focus during the game - that is 100% what he is supposed to do. Unfortunately, PJ will defended no matter what this year. Next year, the excuse will be a new starting QB. If 2019 was the fluke, we have a lot of bad football to look forward to.

If PJ wanted different play calling we would have it. Sanford is running the offense under the direction of PJ. He’s old school and I don’t see that changing. He’s too cautious and plays not to lose instead of playing to win.
Ciarocca called 100% of plays when he was PJ's OC (minus big 4th down conversions OR Big moment decisions I'm sure there was input) Offense sure seemed a lot different under him...

Sanford is the one making play call decisions, that's not PJ. I'm sure there is discussion. But there's only 1 man up in the both looking at his play sheet.

You cannot use rhythm as an excuse in a game you are favored to win by this much. You can play that card if you win by 10 when you are supposed to win by 20. This was a total collapse. It is sad that we are back to a Gopher season pretty much over before we hit October. Sorry, but this one is on PJ. If the problem is the OC - he has seen it already and did not change it. If it is Morgan - he has no backup plan and did nothing to change it. If it is needing to change up mental focus during the game - that is 100% what he is supposed to do. Unfortunately, PJ will defended no matter what this year. Next year, the excuse will be a new starting QB. If 2019 was the fluke, we have a lot of bad football to look forward to.
Totally agree your worst game, no rhythm or whatever, should not have resulted in a loss.

PJ isn't going anywhere. They were 11-2 2 years ago. That doesn't happen at MN. Unless the bottom falls out the next 2-3 years, he'll be here.

PJ isn't going anywhere. They were 11-2 2 years ago. That doesn't happen at MN. Unless the bottom falls out the next 2-3 years, he'll be here.
I agree that he is not going anywhere. I would also predict we are not either under him unfortunately. We are back to losing to mid-majors with a 4 year starter at QB. It would have been better to have Morgan play decent but had no run game so they could play the Mo injury card. This loss kinda exposes a lot of things that were excused last year due to covid. Given the trajectory of this year, I am not looking forward to next year when we will lose the line and have a new starter at QB.

Ciarocca called 100% of plays when he was PJ's OC (minus big 4th down conversions OR Big moment decisions I'm sure there was input) Offense sure seemed a lot different under him...

Sanford is the one making play call decisions, that's not PJ. I'm sure there is discussion. But there's only 1 man up in the both looking at his play sheet.
The offense was almost identical under ciarocca

Not sure what you’re watching

Top Bottom