What is the greatest Gopher game you ever attended?

Stan

Reaction score
Rand has an interesting blog on the STrib site about the greatest sporting event you've attended live. What is your greatest Gopher football game you attended live?

For me I'd say the Penn State win with Nystrom. Just a HUGE win for the program, just huge.

All time was the NCAA Hockey National Championship game of Gophers over Maine at the X in 2002.

Football is weak for me. They have lost every road game I've gone to. Probably just a win over Wisconsin at home for me.

Beating Nebraska at Nebraska. I've only been going for 5 years though limited number to pick from.

Beating Nebraska at the bank

10/22/1977 Gophers 16 #1 Michigan 0

I had a ticket to this game and gave it to my brothers friend so he could go with him and my parents. I went with my friend to watch Augsburg vs. Macalister.

Worst decision of my life!

I'm going with two because the best game was actually a loss.

2000 - Northwestern @ Minnesota. U of M blows a 21 point lead in the 3rd quarter including the legendary hail mary. So heart breaking, but it was a great game.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5s1ip-ul7E4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2005- Purdue @ Minnesota. 2 OT. Minnesota beats #11 Purdue. Maroney goes for 217 and Russell with 75 and 2 tds.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B4y62ktr10U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Sun Bowl where Rhys Lloyd kicked the field goal to beat Oregon. The 1977 win at Iowa was also sweet.

I'm going with two because the best game was actually a loss.

2000 - Northwestern @ Minnesota. U of M blows a 21 point lead in the 3rd quarter including the legendary hail mary. So heart breaking, but it was a great game.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5s1ip-ul7E4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2005- Purdue @ Minnesota. 2 OT. Minnesota beats #11 Purdue. Maroney goes for 217 and Russell with 75 and 2 tds.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B4y62ktr10U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to your room!!! you cannot mention the Northwestern game in question. That Northwestern game was such a gut punch. Purdue, like Michigan was a slow moving train wreck. The hail mary... I remember looking at my brother and saying" what just happened?". Absolute gut punch.

Wins? Probably Nebraska win here and the Iowa thumping. I remember the team throttled Illinois a couple of times, but mud stomping Iowa was nice. I have only witnessed road losses. Sad that I missed PSU 99' game. Was going to go, but couldn't get coverage at work.

BTW The train wreck Purdue game was 2001 IIRC. Forgot how awesome 05' was. Thanks! Cool and sad at the same time seeing Brandon Owens. He was really coming on.

1-Iowa 2014 51-14
2-Iowa 2010 - Horton interim coach (first ever field rush in Gopher football)
3-Iowa 2011 - Kill's first Big10 win- onside kick
4-Air Force 2009- First game at the Bank
5-Citrus Bowl 2015 (only loss in top 10) so fun seeing my favorite team on NYD in Fl!
6-Wisconsin 2003 - Rhys Lloyd walk-off
7-Iowa 2006 - Iowa fans turning on Drew Tate
8-Nebraska 2013 - first game with Kill not on sideline at TCF
9-Purdue 2005 - 2OT
10-Michigan St 2009- Halloween Night, fun game

Wisconsin was the First Flash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YVfSqfOEMI

You can't watch the video, listen to the rouser and not wanna go kick em again! Absolutely be in my pregame or halftime message to the team versus Wisconsin. "You want some..
mixing eras but I like it.

Was listening to the '77 Michigan football game on the radio in the car coming back from out of town. Made a beeline for Memorial Stadium and saw the second half. That was cool.
The Iowa win was pretty awesome with Marquis rolling over people.

Gopher mens basketball games have had the most impact on me. Lots of those have been epic for me. Indiana with Knight, Marquette with McGuire, the Ohio State brawl, Musselman's warmups,
Just the intensity with Musselman teams. We had really good players under Dutcher a couple great teams and then gritty teams with Clem. Hopefully we become relevant again. Flip Saunders was a great floor general.

Saw Sandy Stephens' Rose Bowl teams play but don't remember much other than being impressed and Sandy jukin' which of course I perfected in the back yard.

One of my favorite games of all-time was the Michigan State Halloween game back in 2009. The crowd was absolutely rocking that night, and I'll never forget Duane Bennett's immaculate reception off of Tow-Arnett.

For Football
1) 2003 Wisconsin
2) 2013 Nebraska
3) 2014 Iowa
4) 1998 Iowa
5) 2010 Iowa
6) 2011 Iowa
7) 2013 Penn State
8) 2001 Wisconsin
9) 2009 Air Force
10) 2004 Toledo
My top ten kinda sucks

Saturday October 9th, 1993 - Gophers 59, Purdue 56. Omar Douglas was a monster that day.

Saturday September 21st, 1996 - Gophers 35, Syracuse 33. The day Tyrone Carter announced himself to the world.

1-Iowa 2014 51-14
2-Iowa 2010 - Horton interim coach (first ever field rush in Gopher football)
3-Iowa 2011 - Kill's first Big10 win- onside kick
4-Air Force 2009- First game at the Bank
5-Citrus Bowl 2015 (only loss in top 10) so fun seeing my favorite team on NYD in Fl!
6-Wisconsin 2003 - Rhys Lloyd walk-off
7-Iowa 2006 - Iowa fans turning on Drew Tate
8-Nebraska 2013 - first game with Kill not on sideline at TCF
9-Purdue 2005 - 2OT
10-Michigan St 2009- Halloween Night, fun game

All great ones. I missed Wiscy 03 but was at the rest.

I'd go with the October 2005 win in the Big House. Doubt I ever see a more exciting road win.

I had forgotten how great the 2005 Purdue win felt at the time. Mase had never beaten Tiller. I remember getting back to the tailgate lot outside the old Liquor Depot and saying "We just beat the 11th-ranked team in the country!" Never mind the Boilers went in the tank after that.

My top 5 only counts victories:

2003 Sun Bowl
2005 Purdue
2009 Air Force
2010 Iowa
2014 at Nebraska

At #1, Opening Day at TCF will be tough to beat until the day we get to Pasadena.

Many of the ones listed, but the Music City Bowl in Nashville when we beat Alabama. The Alabama fans were the ultimate Rednecks. The brought about 50,000 fans to the game. You took one look in the parking lot and it was : The South shall rise again" My oldest daughter said:
"All that is missing is General Lee riding in on a white horse" The Friday night battle of the band's was clearly won by Minnesota, but the Music City official gave it to Alabama to avoid an incident. My son and I walked into the Coyote Ugly Bar with " Sweet Home Minnesota" t-shirts madeup by the Goal Line Club. A couple of blockhead Bama guys came over and wanted to take issue ; the bouncer was right on top of it and booted them out. We had no problem after that, but some of the Bama fans kept referring to Maroney and Barber as " boys" As in:" Them two boys won't make any yards against our defense" Maroney had been quoted in the Nashville
paper as saying: "Alabama can't tackle what they can't catch" We stayed at the Marriott where the Gophers were staying and my wife and I ran into Mase on the elevator.I said:"? Do you think the band will do the " Swinging Gate"? He laughted and said: " Do you want a riot"? At the end of the game as a salute to Tennessee the band played " Rocky Top " . The Bama fans booed unmercifully.

There are two. First in time was Minnesota's November 5, 1960, 27-10 win over Iowa. Iowa and Minnesota entered the game ranked 1 and 2 in the nation respectively. There was a pre-game newspaper headline that posed the question, "Whose Number One?" At the end of the game, Minnesota fans answered that question by shouting, with right arms and a single digit extended, "We're Number One." I believe that was the first time that chant and gesture, which has since become commonplace, was ever used. The second in time was Minnesota's 23-20 homecoming win, on October, 28, 1961, over Michigan. It was not only a football game, but a battle of the bands, as Michigan brought its band for the game. Late in the fourth quarter, Minnesota began a final drive down 4 points as both bands played their hearts out. The drive stalled a few feet from the goal line. Michigan began celebrating and Minnesota fans began leaving, when a backup linebacker stripped the ball, resulting in an emotional Minnesota win. These were the last two years that Minnesota went to the Rose Bowl.

1993 Wisconsin. Had we been able to punch it in against Michigan that would have replaced it.

At the end of the game as a salute to Tennessee the band played " Rocky Top " . The Bama fans booed unmercifully.

I considered this but opted for Rhys Lloyd's game-winner, plus Alabama was obviously down at the time. Beating Oregon felt like payback for '99. But it did feel good jumping on top of my seat to sing "Rocky Top" as all the Bammers filed out. Second Avenue was a lot more tolerable the night after the game.

Many of the ones listed, but the Music City Bowl in Nashville when we beat Alabama. The Alabama fans were the ultimate Rednecks. The brought about 50,000 fans to the game. You took one look in the parking lot and it was : The South shall rise again" My oldest daughter said:
"All that is missing is General Lee riding in on a white horse" The Friday night battle of the band's was clearly won by Minnesota, but the Music City official gave it to Alabama to avoid an incident. My son and I walked into the Coyote Ugly Bar with " Sweet Home Minnesota" t-shirts madeup by the Goal Line Club. A couple of blockhead Bama guys came over and wanted to take issue ; the bouncer was right on top of it and booted them out. We had no problem after that, but some of the Bama fans kept referring to Maroney and Barber as " boys" As in:" Them two boys won't make any yards against our defense" Maroney had been quoted in the Nashville
paper as saying: "Alabama can't tackle what they can't catch" We stayed at the Marriott where the Gophers were staying and my wife and I ran into Mase on the elevator.I said:"? Do you think the band will do the " Swinging Gate"? He laughted and said: " Do you want a riot"? At the end of the game as a salute to Tennessee the band played " Rocky Top " . The Bama fans booed unmercifully.

Great perspective

Gophers beating Michigan at Michigan in 1986. That was amazing.

Sad I missed this game. I remembered hearing that the Alabama fans were upset with Rocky Top being played. I think the confusion was that UMMB was paying tribute to the state of Tennessee. The Alabama fans took it as a shot to them because U of Tennessee is one of their biggest rivals.They assumed the UMMB was paying tribute to UT. Wanted to attend that game because I grew to kind of liking Alabama because one of my former coaches played center at Alabama for one season many, many years ago. Barber pounded their D.

Even though it was a loss I would have to say last year's game vs Michigan. The Gophers played well on both sides of the ball and it was a dang shame we couldn't punch it in, but it was very exciting.

The Gopher Iowa game was November 5,1960. The Michigan game that was mentioned the backup linebacker's name was Tom Tiegen.

Top Bottom