Votes: 9 7.8%
  • home vs Nebraska

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • home vs Wisconsin

Votes: 76 66.1%
  • No signature win this year

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
It's not the same scenario, but they'll channel Bum Phillips: "Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a b**** in!"

Beautiful. I love that quote, and had not heard it in years. :) Now, if we can only get that scenario to play out ***channeling Bum***...

Everyone's definition of a 'signature win' is likely to be different, and so it goes with such an amorphous phrase, but for me at least pertaining to this season and the choices offered, beating Michigan on the road and/or Nebraska in TCF would constitute signature victories for this program. Sconnie with Bielema also would have unquestionably been a signature win, but with the new guy, well, all bets are off, and a win over them this season might not be quite so epic as it might have been with Butthead at the helm.

At any rate, in my opinion it's time to take back control of that rivalry, and there is no time like the present, what with their new program being put in place and them coming into our house, so that's a victory I would wish to see above all others, not so much as a 'signature' win on a national level, but rather just making a statement as part of our continuing journey upward, that we are no longer going to serve as Sconnie's patsy any more. Since 1994, we have had 18 opportunities to beat them, and have lost 16 of those games, with many of those losses coming in a beat-down fashion, and that honestly makes me feel like gagging. Enough is simply enough, it is time to throw off the shackles and break loose of the chains and it is time, and may that time (please, if there is a freaking God above) start right here in 2013.

And given all that, on second thought, maybe beating Sconnie would be the ultimate signature win for us. Too late though, as I already voted for Nebraska.

At this point in the program all wins are significant wins. As far as the signature, if we can beat all the non-conference foes. Then Iowa would be a signature win. If we then go to Michigan 5-0 then beating Michigan would be another signature. If we don't beat all of our non-conference foes then any win in the conference schedule would be a signature win.

Thats my two cents anyway.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

At this point in the program all wins are significant wins. As far as the signature, if we can beat all the non-conference foes. Then Iowa would be a signature win. If we then go to Michigan 5-0 then beating Michigan would be another signature. If we don't beat all of our non-conference foes then any win in the conference schedule would be a signature win.

Thats my two cents anyway.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

^

A true signature win should come on the road against a highly ranked team, one that no one expects you to beat. When you think of signature wins for former Gopher coaches what comes to mind? The first thing that pops in my head was the win at #2 Penn State in Glen Mason's third year. Going into the big house and stealing the little brown jug this year would feel very similar to that win.

2020 SkipHoltz coaches the gophs in a win over Miami. battle for the U

It most definitely is. That win would mean infinitely more to the program than beating Nebraska for sure, maybe Michigan. We NEED to start winning games against Wisconsin before the rivalry becomes as one sided as the Michigan "rivalry"

+1. Nailed it.

I define a "signature" win as coming in a game you are not 'supposed' to win: i.e. a game where you are a significant underdog, or playing on the road in a hostile environment.

Since it's likely the Gophs will be an underdog in all 3 games listed in the poll, then I think any of those games would qualify as a signature win. With WI, you add in the rivalry, the trophy, and some of the disappointing games in the past (fumbled punt game......), and that definitely makes it a potential signature win.

Although - as far as the National media is concerned, I would have to say a win over Mich or Neb would probably get more attention.

At this point, each game we win is a signature win since we are predicted to go 0-8 in conference.

I'm calling it now. We will upset Nebraska @ TCF.

Parski1 said:
I'm calling it now. We will upset Nebraska @ TCF.

That would be awesome and would almost certainly lead to Pelini getting canned.

Top Bottom