Votes: 15 13.0%
  • home vs Wisconsin

Votes: 76 66.1%
  • No signature win this year

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Coach Kill keeps talking about us needing a signature win, what is our best chance this year?

And no, I don't think Iowa qualifies anymore, not to mention, we kind of own them at TCF Bank Stadium! :clap:

I'm also not including Michigan State because while that would be a huge program win, I don't think it warrants a "signature win" to the casual fan, unless its the difference between us playing in a big time bowl game or not.

I think there are three games this year that the casual fan would identify as a "signature win."

I'd put Michigan, Nebraska, or if on the schedule Ohio State as opportunities for signature wins. Some years Penn State too. But Wisconsin should be considered a rivalry win along with Iowa, even if Wisconsin has been better than Iowa in recent years.

So, for that reason I voted for Nebraska at home as the best opportunity for a signature win among the choices given, although I think the chances of beating Wisconsin are a bit higher.

Wisconsin is the most vulnerable of the ones listed. They're QB situation is suspect. My guess is even though it's a trophy game at TCF, they'll look past us as they play Penn State the next week. I'm thinking they'll come in here with a 6-4 record riding wins over BYU and Indiana. The Maryland I will styme them with ball control - eating up precious time. Gophers 31 - Badgers 17. The Axe is ours.

Comments like "we own them at TCF stadium" are really stupid. We have not been good enough to own anybody for a long time. I will be happy with a one point win in that game.

Comments like "we own them at TCF stadium" are really stupid. We have not been good enough to own anybody for a long time. I will be happy with a one point win in that game.

I would be as well, but we did beat Iowa in their only two games at TCF so far, and we were really bad both of those years. It's probably too early to say we own anybody at TCF, considering we've only been playing in it for four years, so I don't think any other Big Ten teams have played more than two games in it at this point. I wouldn't say we own them, but as much as it's possible to own someone over a total of two games played at TCF, we did win both of them, and Iowa was probably favored going into both of them.

As for not being good enough to own anyone, we have actually won 10 of the last 13 against Illinois going back to 1996.

I said that Wisconsin would be our best opportunity for a signature win because I think we have a better chance to beat them than Nebraska or @Michigan, but if we beat them because they have a rough season adjusting to a new coach, then it may not be a signature win at all. It would be a significant win regardless, but if we do beat Wisconsin this year, there is a chance that it's because they're simply not that good. I expect Michigan and Nebraska to keep chugging along and probably get 9 or 10+ wins this year, and actually I think Wisconsin could be too, after looking at their schedule, but of those three, I think Wisconsin is likely to be the worst.

The three years history at TCF is too short of a time to say "We own them."

Let's see what happens at the ten year mark.

I think they have a good shot at both Wisconsin and Penn State...

On the Road early in the year against a young Michigan team. Bring Back The Jug!

We've a bye week before the Wisconsin game. That is a huge plus late in the year. I consider it a signature opportunity because they've dominated us over the last several years.

I think we can take Nebraska at home this year.

Nebraska is breaking in a lot of new players, on defense will have a new QB and tailback.
If our defense comes out strong and sets the tone for the game, that were not taking any crap from them
or the officials this could be our signature win. Would be a lot of fun to knock the Cornhuskers off and send home
36,000 of there red clad hourde home unhappy and PO'ed. I say Nebraska because a lot of cheap A$$ Gopher fans are probably planning on selling there tickets to these guys to pay for there season tickets.
Heck Nebraska fans probably the local ones have already bought season tickets for the Gophers just to go to this game.

If you want to run with the Big boys you have to beat one of them.
Nebraska is my pick.

Wisky is NOT a signature win. Sorry.

At Michigan or the Nebraska game would constitute a "signature win", not a game against Wisconsin.

For this program it most definitely is. If we're talking about turning the corner, beating Wisconsin is where it starts. A win over Wisconsin will bring added interest and enthusiasm in the program.

For this program it most definitely is. If we're talking about turning the corner, beating Wisconsin is where it starts. A win over Wisconsin will bring added interest and enthusiasm in the program.

Station19, Parski1, pantherhawk, and I totally agree.

At Michigan or the Nebraska game would constitute a "signature win", not a game against Wisconsin.

If a win over the back-to-back-to-back conference champion rivals who have defeated us nine times in a row does not constitute a signature win, I really don't know what will.

do penn state and MSU count as signatures? i say we have an equal chance of beating PSU, MSU and Wiscoinsin

Northwestern would be a signature win, better then Nebraska or Michigan, i doubt we beat them though

Northwestern would be a signature win, better then Nebraska or Michigan, i doubt we beat them though

That's debatable. I think beating Michigan would make more waves because it's a road game and Michigan is a bigger name than Northwestern, even if Northwestern is actually better.

On the Road early in the year against a young Michigan team. Bring Back The Jug!
Go back in 5-year increments and the Gophers had two chances to move the program to the next level against Michigan. We all know 2003. In 2008, If the Gophers rebound from a very disappointing loss to NW and beat a bad Michigan team, they're probably heading to a NYD bowl. Instead, a crushing loss busts the wheels off the bus and the season spirals downward. 2013, the Gophers head to Ann Arbor with a 5-0 record and head to their first bye at 6-0 with two trophies in the case. It's not the same scenario, but they'll channel Bum Phillips: "Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a b**** in!"

The 4th B!G win will be the signature victory. Maybe not this year, but we shall see!

It most definitely is. That win would mean infinitely more to the program than beating Nebraska for sure, maybe Michigan. We NEED to start winning games against Wisconsin before the rivalry becomes as one sided as the Michigan "rivalry"

It most definitely is. That win would mean infinitely more to the program than beating Nebraska for sure, maybe Michigan. We NEED to start winning games against Wisconsin before the rivalry becomes as one sided as the Michigan "rivalry"

Couldn't agree more. It shows that we have narrowed the gap between the two programs, even if wisky has a down year because of a head coaching change. Honestly though, wisconsin has a good coach and there won't be much of a downfall this season. They are still talented and a win would be significant and special.

Yeah, a Wisconsin team that has played in 3 straight Rose Bowls, beat us 9x straight, is our major rival, and has quite a bit of national media attention would be a signature win. It raise the eyebrows of the casual fan, shuts up the Badger fans in town for a while, and gets us a trophy. Signature. Even with their new coach and questions around the QB (which has been a long-running theme for them yet hasn't impeded their success).

I would be as well, but we did beat Iowa in their only two games at TCF so far, and we were really bad both of those years. It's probably too early to say we own anybody at TCF, considering we've only been playing in it for four years, so I don't think any other Big Ten teams have played more than two games in it at this point. I wouldn't say we own them, but as much as it's possible to own someone over a total of two games played at TCF, we did win both of them, and Iowa was probably favored going into both of them.

I completely agree!!! And let's not forget that for the past 2 games up here, the Idiots STILL referred to TCF as "Kinnick North". The "HAWKS" remain winless at TCF, and we need to keep it that way!!!

Go back in 5-year increments and the Gophers had two chances to move the program to the next level against Michigan. We all know 2003. In 2008, If the Gophers rebound from a very disappointing loss to NW and beat a bad Michigan team, they're probably heading to a NYD bowl. Instead, a crushing loss busts the wheels off the bus and the season spirals downward. 2013, the Gophers head to Ann Arbor with a 5-0 record and head to their first bye at 6-0 with two trophies in the case. It's not the same scenario, but they'll channel Bum Phillips: "Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a b**** in!"

The past is the past. Do NOT predict this year on the past.

Nebraska is my pick, and I also think we could have multiple signature wins. If we can get an atmosphere brewing at TCF this could be the most exciting year of home games in my lifetime (40 years). Believe it or not, the people of Minnesota could help make a big difference.

Top Bottom