What is Kaler thinking?

Bisker82

Death From Above
Reaction score
From Sid's column;

"Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi is still debating about accepting a one-year extension he has been offered by new university president Eric Kaler. Some close friends wonder whether he will accept it, with all the recent aggravation with the program. He has a year from June on his current contract."

IMO, this would not be a good way for Kaler to start. Maybe they have a few more million dollars that they need Joel to waste.

He's thinking he hasn't even started the job yet. I can understand a new President not wanting to start the job search right away.

A year of transition is not unheard of. The fact that it is a one-year extension is pretty telling. I actually like this move, as much as I think Maturi is not the right guy. Let Kaler get a feel for where the department is and what it needs before hiring someone to address those issues.

I don't mind this at all. 1 year to get his feet under him and address the other financial aspects of the U as well as get his feelers out there on possible ADs.

A year of transition is not unheard of. The fact that it is a one-year extension is pretty telling. I actually like this move, as much as I think Maturi is not the right guy. Let Kaler get a feel for where the department is and what it needs before hiring someone to address those issues.

^^^ This.

As much as I hate Maturi, Kaler needs a little time to get this thumb on what is needed in a new AD before he goes and makes a decision/investment on the next one.

Kaler will need an adjustment period and his learning curve will be steep, especially in the athletics realm where a Big Ten program is a much different beast than Stony Brook. I’m guessing that Kaler wasn’t deluged with e-mails regarding Stony Brook athletics before his first day on the job.

I’d prefer Kaler to take his time in determining who the right person for the job is and get it right the first time, even if it means two more years of Joel Maturi.

Kaler will need an adjustment period and his learning curve will be steep, especially in the athletics realm where a Big Ten program is a much different beast than Stony Brook. I’m guessing that Kaler wasn’t deluged with e-mails regarding Stony Brook athletics before his first day on the job.

I’d prefer Kaler to take his time in determining who the right person for the job is and get it right the first time, even if it means two more years of Joel Maturi.

I see your points, but just UGHH!!

Bingo. Its wise to get the lay of the land before you start making changes.

I assumed that it was a one year extension (as stated above) but it is actually a two year extension that Bruininks offered to Maturi (see link below, even though it's a Sid column I think it's accurate). That's makes the stakes a little higher, but there's nothing to say that Kaler and Maturi cannot do a one year extension and not the one that is currently on the table.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/98679344.html

I assumed that it was a one year extension (as stated above) but it is actually a two year extension that Bruininks offered to Maturi (see link below, even though it's a Sid column I think it's accurate). That's makes the stakes a little higher, but there's nothing to say that Kaler and Maturi cannot do a one year extension and not the one that is currently on the table.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/98679344.html

Bruininks might of said two. Kaler said one. and one is a transition year. wise move by the new Prez.

Smart move by Kaler. It allows him some time to make an assessment of what type of AD he wants / needs. And where's Wren? I don't know that I've seen the "Prexy K" moniker make an appearance yet.

I absolutely concur with this offer and hope that Maturi accepts a one year extension. This may be the most political appointment that Kahler will make during his entire career at Minnesota. Already names are popping up of mostly unqualified candidates and if there's a push now to get those names on a list, just think what it will be in a few months when Kahler is here.

My guess is that Maturi accepts the job and Kahler begins a search sooner than later. I wouldn't be surprised to see Maturi get an early retirement and a nice check for the remainder of his contract. A win win for Gopher sports.

Maturi's contract already runs through June 2012. Why does he need an extension? Kaler will have a year to evaluate things either way. I don't think anyone expects him to come in and fire Maturi on July 1st (as nice as that might be to most of us) but giving him 1 or, god forbid, 2 more years past 2012 is not a good idea. If Maturi gets an extension before he gets Tubby's done I will be ill.

I have no issue with the move and I have no issue with Maturi accepting or declining it. I have beefs with some of the decisions Maturi has made, but you also have to be careful what you wish for. To rush to replace Maturi and end up with someone less qualified would be a disaster. Agreed, Kaler will have a year before Maturi leaves, but honestly with everything else he has to do that really isn't a ton of time. That being said, the last thing I want is Maturi sticking it out a year if he doesn't want to be here. Frankly, I'd like it if they hired Maturi's replacement next year and let that individual work under Maturi for a year before taking the reigns. I doubt that's realistic, but at least this time we just have someone retiring so we can look at our leisure, rather than stepping down due to scandal...

I think what we need to realize is that a New Pres. like Kaler has a PHD in Administration, etc. and just might have a plan in effect regardless of what we novice rookies with our biased opinions think.

Kaler will do what is best for the tUM. (the University of Minnesota).

Agreed. Give him some time to evaluate all the departments and see what the right moves will be.

Ok, here is the deal:

IF you don't mind two more years of badger joel macturi, go ahead and send a message to prexy k that you think it's ok that the little ranger is around for two more years. You will get exactly what YOU deserve.

As for me, I'm going on record NOW that I want badger joel macturi out the door and under the bus right NOW. It is time to start booing the little ranger when ever he is seen at a Gopher Football event. Prexy K, you had better be aware of where the revenue sports are right now and you NEED to have a plan in place to start improving the Conference w/l records of those revenue sports...you OWE that much to the long-suffering season ticket buyers Prexy K.

You get exactly what you ask for people. How many of you really have to see any more of what macturi brings to the table with the revenue sports. Haven't you seen too much by now????? I know I certainly have seen too much of badger joel macturi.

You get what you accept. IF what you accept in leadership of the revenue sports programs is horse crap, you deserve horse crap leadership of the revenue sports programs. Ditch maturi NOW!

IF you don't mind two more years of badger joel macturi, go ahead and send a message to prexy k that you think it's ok that the little ranger is around for two more years. You will get exactly what YOU deserve.

As for me, I'm going on record NOW that I want badger joel macturi out the door and under the bus right NOW. It is time to start booing the little ranger when ever he is seen at a Gopher Football event. Prexy K, you had better be aware of where the revenue sports are right now and you NEED to have a plan in place to start improving the Conference w/l records of those revenue sports...you OWE that much to the long-suffering season ticket buyers Prexy K.

You get exactly what you ask for people. How many of you really have to see any more of what macturi brings to the table with the revenue sports. Haven't you seen too much by now????? I know I certainly have seen too much of badger joel macturi.

You get what you accept. IF what you accept in leadership of the revenue sports programs is horse crap, you deserve horse crap leadership of the revenue sports programs. Ditch maturi NOW!

Okay, I'll take the bait. I'm not a supporter of Maturi, but I want Kahler to move Gopher sports forward, especially the top revenue sports. If he were to come in here and try to immediately replace Maturi, the new hire could be a disaster from both hiring the wrong guy and burning bridges with the Gopher boosters and fans. By extending Maturi, he's giving himself enough time to find the right guy without the pressure of time constraints and boosters promoting their guys. In the end, he will hire the right guy without ticking off Gopher supporters during the process.

Kaler extends the GoldDomeBadger and Minnesota fans agree. This is exactly why the revenue programs are where they are. Why football has been in the wilderness for decades. Look in the mirror to see the problem.

Just what we need

I am sure if wren writes to Kahler he will extend Maturi's contract another year just to keep wren away. I can see his letter now "Dear Prez (1)..."

(1) Insert whatever idiotic name wren uses when referring to the University of Minnesota’s president.

The following article from MinnPost is what Kaler is thinking about now, and what he will be thinking about when he takes over from Bruininks. He sure as hell is not going to be in a hurry to replace an AD who has been balancing the budget of the Athletics Department. And what do you think his primary concern is going to be when he hires a new AD to replace Maturi? My guess is he is going to try to find somebody just like him. Winning championships has never been at the top of the priority list for the people who run the U. Kaler is not going to be able to change how they have operated for over 40 years anytime soon. He has been oversold as an agent of change by many GopherHolers with short memories.

U of M's Bruininks: Legislative Cuts 'Make No Sense'
By Joe Kimball |
Published Fri, Mar 25 2011 1:28 pm

University of Minnesota President Robert Bruininks lashed out today against proposed cuts to higher education and the University now being considered by the state Senate:

“It should come as no surprise that I do not support the budget recommendation of the Senate Higher Education Committee. The recommended cut of $243 million or 18.9% is a deeper cut than the one recommended by the House last week and significantly deeper then the recommendation of the Governor despite a 13:1 return on the state’s investment in the U and a statewide economic impact estimated — conservatively — at $8.6 billion per year. This makes no sense.

“In addition, the proposed cut rolls our state support back to levels not seen since before 1998. Think about that: this fall’s incoming freshmen were just starting kindergarten the last time state funding was at the level proposed today. Ask yourselves, what will this mean for the children of today? Thirteen years from now, will our best and brightest apply in record numbers to the U? Or will they see a once-great university in shambles and look elsewhere?

“Make no mistake: We know we have a role to play in helping Minnesota balance its budget, and we will continue to do our part — both in terms of significantly reducing costs and spending, and generating the external support, outstanding graduates, and breakthrough discoveries that fuel our economy. But cuts of this magnitude in the Senate bill will devastate our ability to deliver on our mission, which serves the needs of every region of Minnesota. This is a backward budget proposal that penalizes productivity and denies a decade of unprecedented performance. As I indicated last week, if the legislature chooses to solve a decade’s worth of state financial mismanagement by pulling the rug out from under the University of Minnesota, the damage will be statewide and permanent.

“I am also concerned about the anti-research provisions of this bill. We are the place that has pioneered the treatments and cures that have improved the lives of families in Minnesota and around the world. Regulation that limits the ability of the University to achieve scientific advances to prevent and cure disease will seriously erode the economic competitiveness of the University and the state.”

Bruininks is stepping down from the presidency this summer, after nearly nine years in the position.

You people who don't think prexy k knows enough to hire a competent ad...

deserve what badger joel macturi has done to the revenue sports.

prexy b has wasted millions and millions of dollars in just the athletic department by supporting the idiotic macturi and his destruction of hockey and hoops and the wasteful way he has screwed up extensions, firings, buy outs and the like with the football program, the law suits with hoops and golf programs and just the general incompetence displayed in the athletic department towards the "buying public..." Multiply prexy b's wasteful ways in the revenue sports management team that he has in place by his lackluster running of the academic affairs at the U, the tanishing of the Medical School and all kinds of other issues with the U and you have a U of M that is in serious financial trouble and is NOT going to sell well in the state house.

Prexy K had BETTER be able give the season ticket buyers their money's worth when they buy season tickets. Prexy K had BETTER be able to raise private and public money for the Uniersity. He had BETTER hit the ground running when he takes over the job in June. prexy b has been running this thing into the ground. The University is facing SERIOUS financial problems and prexy b just never "got it..." Prexy K needs to be better...a LOT better than prexy b or the U is in bad trouble...in the legislature and in the hearts of many citizens of the state of Minnesota. The U of M NEEDS to start executing, producing and placing highly competetive academic programs AND athletic programs in the REVENUE PRODUCING SPORTS in the class rooms AND on the ice, hoops courts and in TCF BANK STADIUM. The administration at the U of M has had a "screw 'em any way you can..." attitude for too long regarding the state house, the students and tuition payers AND with the season ticket holder base. It is time for the U of M to PRODUCE and give the customers their money's worth. Prexy K: you have GOT to ditch that image that prsxy's at the U of M have been trying to maintain for all these decades. You had best be humble. You had best be honest. And... you had better know what you are doing starting right NOW.

prexy b failed big time and badger joel macturi was right there with him failing all over himself with the revenue producing sports. Throw him under the bus NOW!

; 0 )

deserve what badger joel macturi has done to the revenue sports.

prexy b has wasted millions and millions of dollars in just the athletic department by supporting the idiotic macturi and his destruction of hockey and hoops and the wasteful way he has screwed up extensions, firings, buy outs and the like with the football program, the law suits with hoops and golf programs and just the general incompetence displayed in the athletic department towards the "buying public..." Multiply prexy b's wasteful ways in the revenue sports management team that he has in place by his lackluster running of the academic affairs at the U, the tanishing of the Medical School and all kinds of other issues with the U and you have a U of M that is in serious financial trouble and is NOT going to sell well in the state house.

Prexy K had BETTER be able give the season ticket buyers their money's worth when they buy season tickets. Prexy K had BETTER be able to raise private and public money for the Uniersity. He had BETTER hit the ground running when he takes over the job in June. prexy b has been running this thing into the ground. The University is facing SERIOUS financial problems and prexy b just never "got it..." Prexy K needs to be better...a LOT better than prexy b or the U is in bad trouble...in the legislature and in the hearts of many citizens of the state of Minnesota. The U of M NEEDS to start executing, producing and placing highly competetive academic programs AND athletic programs in the REVENUE PRODUCING SPORTS in the class rooms AND on the ice, hoops courts and in TCF BANK STADIUM. The administration at the U of M has had a "screw 'em any way you can..." attitude for too long regarding the state house, the students and tuition payers AND with the season ticket holder base. It is time for the U of M to PRODUCE and give the customers their money's worth. Prexy K: you have GOT to ditch that image that prsxy's at the U of M have been trying to maintain for all these decades. You had best be humble. You had best be honest. And... you had better know what you are doing starting right NOW.

prexy b failed big time and badger joel macturi was right there with him failing all over himself with the revenue producing sports. Throw him under the bus NOW!

; 0 )

Put down the bottle.

Can we all guess what President Elect Kalers favorite color is?

I say Black.

If so, Maturi is safe for at least year. The UM will be looking for revenue in light of the huge funding cuts coming their way. If the big 3 revenue generators continue to struggle, there will come a time when Kaler will be forced to take a close look at the AD operations that has Maturi's fingerprints all over it. Black alone may not keep him around if there is evidence that there is a lot of lost revenue that is not realized.

Put down the Bottle

Put down the bottle.

Don't worry. When wren starts ranting and making demands he is pretty well into the bottle. He normally passes out shortly thereafter. The only problem is that he doesn't remember writing anything before so he writes the same thing over and over again. It is a very vicious cycle.

Top Bottom