What is it going to take for us to stop the run next year?

My feelings exactly, mnvcguy. I wish Beal all the best.

"What is it going to take for us to stop the run next year? "

A four man defensive front all of whom are 6'8" or more, weigh 375-400, each runs a 4.3 40 electronically timed, each has a verticle jump of 44.2 inches, and all are also 4.0 GPA in the classroom majoring in IT. We are talking nerd studs, ya know. You asked, I answered.

To be successful you have to have supperior players to your opponent at the majority of the positions on defense versus the offense.

Against the run, this is the biggest issue with our defensive scheme. However, I don't think you need a dominant player at the majority of positions, you need a dominant MLB to be real good against the run in our scheme.

This scheme works well with having a Strong Safety that can make tackles and support the run in the mode of #22 TC and like Royston. SF24 you are right though in it is susceptable the scheme to play action and TE burning the Gophers up the seem. How is Kim doing, is he still trying to work on getting in to football as a player CFL, the UFL or NFL camps, what about coaching if his playing days are over, you would think PA could pull some strings with the Vikes for an internship or training camp roll? e.

Thanks for the kind words.

Kim is doing great. He coached db's for one of the local colleges this past season and is contemplating a coaching or career in law enforcement. Football? It's NFL or nothing, he's completely healthy for the first time since 2010. The only question is will someone give him an opportunity? I think he has a great chance...should he decide to pursue it.

No doubt he can play at that level on special teams, back up....starter (if Mistrial Raymond can, need I say more). He would be cheap, risk free, possible high reward player for someone. If not....he has done all the correct things to be a successful productive member of society.

...Actually I think it is a great defense against passing teams, the Syracuse game was the most fun I have had watching a Goph defense in a while, but we needed tacklers like Kim and Tinsley last year agaisnt power teams. I like Wells a lot, but I thought he was going to get killed out there against power teams.

I was thinking the same thing quite a bit last year. With the way the defense sets up (wide splits on the line, trying to get upfield every snap) it seemed like they were set up to play against a style of offense we don't see a lot in the B1G. Combine that with having undersized and/or out of position guys in quite a few spots (end, LB, safety) and it makes stopping the run, especially in the middle of the field, an uphill battle. But I don't know how much of that is system (stressing speed over size) and how much is just the staff working with the players they have.

I was thinking the same thing quite a bit last year. With the way the defense sets up (wide splits on the line, trying to get upfield every snap) it seemed like they were set up to play against a style of offense we don't see a lot in the B1G. Combine that with having undersized and/or out of position guys in quite a few spots (end, LB, safety) and it makes stopping the run, especially in the middle of the field, an uphill battle. But I don't know how much of that is system (stressing speed over size) and how much is just the staff working with the players they have.

You make a great point about working with what they have. I even have to remind myself of that from time to time. That's why building a program requires at least one full recruiting cycle before we can determine if we have the right staff.

I agree with most of your take. We had the part in bold in 2011 and it still didn't work. If you bring your SS up teams will run double moves with the wr opposite the remaining S. It's hard enough to stop a double with a pass rush and impossible without a pass rush. The will also make the FS play coverage by running seam routes with the TE which will force both CB's to play man with no over the top help; there goes your pass defense. Now you have a quarter of your defense running away from the line of scrimmage with their backs turned; one missed tackle.......

That SS can lead the conference in tackling (which he did) and it won't matter....what I'm saying is I don't like the scheme. To be successful you have to have supperior players to your opponent at the majority of the positions on defense versus the offense.

Now that I have said that....watch the gophers win the Rosebowl with the nations leading defense!

Interesting. I never really thought about it like that. As many times as I do disagree with your opinions, I do have to defer to you as far as opinions and schemes in the defensive backfield as I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

Interesting. I never really thought about it like that. As many times as I do disagree with your opinions, I do have to defer to you as far as opinions and schemes in the defensive backfield as I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

You must be related to my wife.

Against arguably a tougher schedule next year, we would like to see the win total increase from 6 to 7 or 8. I think overall we are definitely moving in the right direction, but if I could pick two things that I would like to see marked improvement for next season it would be a) ability to run the ball and b) ability to stop the run.

So on the defensive side, will an offseason of coaching + weight room + some new players = the ability to stop the likes of Iowa and Northwestern from gashing us for large runs?

I think the players and coaches did a really good job on improving the run defense and rushing offense in 2013. Having solid play at linebacker and Cobb emerge were key. Special teams also improved across the board.

Anyone want to identify what one or two things they would like to see improve next year?

Top Bottom