What improvements are needed for the Vikings to use TCF Bank Stadium?

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
According to today’s Star Tribune, the Vikings estimate that, if they are to play at TCF Bank Stadium, there will be $11M in required improvements to bring the Bank up to “National Football League standards,” plus another $19M in parking improvements. Other than the heating coils, anyone know what other "improvements" are contemplated to reach NFL standards? Any ideas on the parking improvements they’d want/need? Certainly, almost anything that improved parking/traffic flow on campus would be welcome. (I know that there are many here who are adamantly opposed to allowing the Vikings to use TCF Bank Stadium under any circumstances and I’m not trying to re-ignite that debate. Just curious what any changes might entail and how they would impact/benefit the campus and the Gopher football program.)

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/137067558.html

According to today’s Star Tribune, the Vikings estimate that, if they are to play at TCF Bank Stadium, there will be $11M in required improvements to bring the Bank up to “National Football League standards,” plus another $19M in parking improvements. Other than the heating coils, anyone know what other "improvements" are contemplated to reach NFL standards? Any ideas on the parking improvements they’d want/need? Certainly, almost anything that improved parking/traffic flow on campus would be welcome. (I know that there are many here who are adamantly opposed to allowing the Vikings to use TCF Bank Stadium under any circumstances and I’m not trying to re-ignite that debate. Just curious what any changes might entail and how they would impact/benefit the campus and the Gopher football program.)

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/137067558.html

I'm ok with this, especially if it gets us some free upgrades. Opposed if the U has to somehow pay for any of it.

I would think a lot more than that. Maybe $111 million?

They would need seats, more boxes, heated field, etc...how do you do that for 11M?

Doesn't the NFL have a miminum for seating? Like 60K or something?

They would need seats, more boxes, heated field, etc...how do you do that for 11M?

I'm sure for a temporary stadium they would forgo the minimum requirement.

How do you put in a lake large enough to handle Al and Alma's boat for that amount of money?

Ever had a stripper on a 17' Alumacraft? Awkward.

GophAroundGuy said:
If you build it, they will come....
Sure that's what we said when TCF was first built. Well they all came for just the Air Force game.

Probably some more seating and heating coils/turf redone. Other than that the only thing I can think of that they would 'need' to adjust was weather-proofing the concessions.

Probably some more seating and heating coils/turf redone. Other than that the only thing I can think of that they would 'need' to adjust was weather-proofing the concessions.

And why does anyone need heating coils? Football has been played for decades without them. All of these "improvements" may cost more to inherit than to just let the Vikings suck it up. The NFL could schedule more road games at the end of the season for a couple of seasons too. The Vikings could play a couple of games at Kinnick as well late in the season.

And why does anyone need heating coils? Football has been played for decades without them. All of these "improvements" may cost more to inherit than to just let the Vikings suck it up. The NFL could schedule more road games at the end of the season for a couple of seasons too. The Vikings could play a couple of games at Kinnick as well late in the season.
Heating coils are necessary because the NFL cares about player safety now a days. And also, there is no way they would accept being scheduled a heavy amount of away games at the end of the year. Those games could decide who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. And the Kinnick suggestion is just ridiculous...

Yes, I'm sure the Vikings understated the cost when they sent the letter given that the point of the letter is to show that the Dome site isn't a simple solution like the mayor is suggesting.

Here is a different article on the topic from MPR: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/01/10/vikings-metrodome-site/

From the article:
A letter released by the team today says there are $67 million in hidden costs to a plan to tear down and rebuild the Metrodome. That includes the price of playing for three seasons at University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium — where seating and other upgrades will cost $11 million — and additional parking for the dome will cost $20 million.
Here is how that breaks down:
- $36 million in lost revenue by playing at TCF. That's due to fewer seats and things like lost ad revenue/concession money/etc.
- $11 million in improvements to TCF
- $19 million in additional parking costs. This is for the Dome site when the new stadium is built and represents the costs of providing next to stadium parking to the VIP suite owners.

That $11 million would include the heating coils for sure, but given the "seating improvements" notation I suspect it also means swapping out the benches for chairbacks throughout the stadium.

Now that statement definitely comes from a burned out light bulb. Holy Jesus Martha.

This might be the strangest post in the history of Gopherhole. Bold statement, I know.

Did you ever feel like the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?

A decent QB and a totally new secondary for starters. New coach wouldn't hurt.

People these days, especially NFLers (just ask the current Vikings punter, he's a pro in this aspect), pretty much expect every field to have heating coils. I'm not saying I'm for heating coils.. I could care less. In fact, if the Vikings want to pay for them, awesome. Just means a nicer home turf for our Gophs.

Why the hell would we let the vikings play three seasons at TCF? They shouldn't be able to play one game there because its the University of Minnesota's Stadium. Tell the vikings to f**k off and go to a town where they can get the support to build a stadium.

"......Which brings me to my next point kids, Don't do drugs!"

To place the heating coils would require the complete removal and replacement of the turf. That's expensive. I think any seats added would be temporary.

And by the way--Jay was kidding. I'll agree that I'd rather see them at Kinnick than TCFB ;)

Why the hell would we let the vikings play three seasons at TCF? They shouldn't be able to play one game there because its the University of Minnesota's Stadium. Tell the vikings to f**k off and go to a town where they can get the support to build a stadium.

This is idiotic.

Maybe you forgot but TCF Bank Stadium had almost 50% public money too. http://stadium.gophersports.com/about_financing.html

Other than the fact that you dislike the Vikings there is no logical reason why TCF should get public money and the Vikings shouldn't. Either both should get it or neither should, so if you supported the U stadium it's only fair that the Vikes get the same consideration.

To place the heating coils would require the complete removal and replacement of the turf. That's expensive. I think any seats added would be temporary.
Not $11 million dollars expensive. :)

Top Bottom