What grade would you give the hire of Dawn Plitzuweit?

What grade would you give the hire of Dawn Plitzuweit?

• A

Votes: 93 78.2%
  • B

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • C

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Certainly has a resume of success at previous stops. Will it translate to the BIG? Time will tell, but I like her chances. She clearly has some coaching chops. This one split the uprights imho.

My high school classmate went to MIT with her and hung out in her circle. He mentioned her early on but I didn’t think it was possible with her big new contract at West Virginia. He said she is an awesome person as well as a coach. How can she not be when she can hang with Iron Range guys! I gave this hire an obvious A!!

Last edited:

A, winning pedigree, and knows what successful program building looks like. Big 10 conference is on notice, Gophers WBB isn't going to be an easy out or W for any opponents now. We want to be great like Iowa or Indiana, and kick them off the Block.

Last edited:

I would give it a solid B+ with the potential to go higher. I have watched her from across the floor for too many years and know that she can coach. The question for any mid-major coach, which she is only a year removed from, is if they can recruit at the next level. I would have said the same thing if AJ had been hired. It's a different world competing with the Geno's and Dawn Staley's of the coaching world for players like Greenway and Bueckers. Not saying she can't do it, time will tell. And I fully endorse going after Larkins from USD ! (y)

I with with an A, more specifically an A-. I think Coyle nailed this one. I'm excited, I have a group that is likely getting season tickets for first time since Borton Era.

. . . The question for any mid-major coach, which she is only a year removed from, is if they can recruit at the next level. I would have said the same thing if AJ had been hired. It's a different world competing with the Geno's and Dawn Staley's of the coaching world for players like Greenway and Bueckers. . . .
Think I understand what you are saying, but Big Ten level recruiting, the first test for Coach P, and Geno/Staley level recruiting, are usually 2 different things. Don’t think Lisa Bluder or Terri Moren have ever beat Geno or Staley for a high school recruit.

Incomplete. Nothing proven or disproven. No players convinced to stay none leaving (other than Rose before her hire and Katie for health reasons). No recruits to evaluate. In other words to early in her tenure to give her a grade.

Gave it an A at the this stage, I like it. As with any coach in any sport, my final grade will be based on their record here when they are done.

I was looking for "S" as a choice.

Stunning.

How is this not a stunner? At least for this first stage.

1679710603974.png

Dawn Plitzuweit was named the 13th women's basketball coach in Minnesota history on March 18, 2023.

Plitzuweit (PLITTS-zoo-white) joins the Maroon and Gold after serving as the head coach at West Virginia University last season where she led the Mountaineers to an NCAA Tournament berth in 2023.

Prior to her season in Morgantown Plitzuweit also served as the head coach at South Dakota from 2016-22. During her six seasons in Vermillion, South Dakota, she amassed a 158-36 record, including an 83-10 mark in the Summit League. The three-time Summit League Coach of the Year, Plitzuweit led the Coyotes to three regular-season championships, three conference tournament championships, four NCAA Tournament appearances and a berth in the 2022 NCAA Sweet 16 during her tenure at USD.

Plitzuweit brings in a career coaching record of 365-141 (.721) in 16 seasons as a head coach, including a 248-103 (.707) at the Division I level. Prior to South Dakota and West Virginia Plitzuweit also was the head coach at Northern Kentucky (2012-16) and Grand Valley State (2002-07). She also was an assistant coach at Michigan (2007-12), Green Bay (1998-02), Wisconsin (1997-98) and her alma mater Michigan Tech (1995-97).

As a head coach Plitzuweit has been a mainstay in postseason play, reaching either the NCAA Tournament, WNIT or CBI in 15 of her 16 seasons as a head coach. She holds the Summit League record for overall winning percentage (.814) and conference winning percentage (.892). She's totaled 15 winning seasons, two 30-win campaigns and nine 20-win seasons.

Plitzuweit's honors over her coaching career include the 2021-22 Kay Yow Award, presented annually to the Division I women’s head college basketball coach who embodies a winning spirit while displaying great character, on and off the court. She was the Summit League Coach of the Year three straight years (2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20). She also was the 2005-06 NCAA Division II National Coach of the Year at Grand Valley State University.

Statistically, Plitzuweit’s teams in each of the past five seasons have ranked in the top 20 nationally in turnover margin, including the 2022-23 season at West Virginia at a margin of 6.1, which was the No. 1 mark in the Big 12 and the ninth-best margin in the country.

A 1995 graduate of Michigan Tech, Plitzuweit earned back-to-back GLIAC Player of the Year awards, four all-conference honors and three all-defensive team nods. She led the Huskies to a 99-22 record and four trips to the NCAA Division II Tournament. She was a Division II Bulletin All-America Second Team selection and a two-time Kodak All-America honorable mention pick (1994, 1995). She earned WBCA All-Academic accolades in 1994 and 1995 and was named Michigan’s NCAA Woman of the Year in 1995.

She needs a nickname to replace her last name. Wonder what others have called her?

I live in Pequot, but grew up in Vermillion,SD, home of the Coyotes. She was great and well-respected. She won with SD and upper Midwest players. Almost beat Michigan in the Sweet 16. Beat Ole Miss and Baylor along the way. She’s good.

After watching Iowa and Wisconsin's Men's basketball for the last 20 years, it really makes me angry to see how pathetic our basketball teams are.

We have more talent than both of those states, although no one like Clark. Yes, Clark is on a different level than Bueckers. But it shows what can happen when you keep your players at home.

If those schools can win, then so can Minnesota. No more excuses. Losing is unacceptable. Coach the young adults up, keep the best players at home, and win.

I came across this press conference from last year, when Coach P had the Coyotes in the Sweet 16. It’s an example of how classy she is as a coach. When you watch her press conference, watch how she is very complimentary of the opposing team (Michigan). Notice that she doesn’t come in with an arrogant attitude, even though we had just beaten Baylor and Ole Miss. She is humble, and she gives recognition to the talent on the other team. That was how she was for every game in my daughter’s career.

Top Bottom