What grade would you give the Gophers Offense in win over Ohio?

What grade would you give the Gophers Offense in win over Ohio?

• A

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • B

Votes: 73 69.5%
  • C

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • D

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Huge improvement over Kent State - and Mitch hit nearly 70% (in fact those of us moaning about his percentages: he's now up to 58% for the year). Good running Saturday and that final drive was a beauty.

Of the 39 Bowl games last year only 5(!) featured a winning team scoring less than 30 points. Only two of those 5 games featured a Power 5 school and only 1 game of those games featured two Power 5 schools head to head (South Carolina 24 Miami 21 in a battle of 6-6 teams). If your offensive philosophy does not include scoring 27+ points a game, it's very unlikely you will be successful long term in this era of college football.
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
You can't always take a simple statistic and apply it to specific situation.
The Gophers had 8 possessions (if you don't count the last 2 plays of the 1st half DEEP in their territory). The Gophers scored on 5 of those 8 possessions (62.5%), including 3 TDs. The offense had zero turnovers and only punted 3 times. Statistics aside, common sense tells that is highly productive for a ball control offensive philosophy. I will take that ever game.
Most agree the Defense struggled to stop Ohio, yet Ohio had 123 yards less offense than the Gophers. The Defense didn't give the Offense any turnovers for a short field like the Gophers special teams gave to Ohio for a 10 yard drive and quick TD.
You can have your "average points scored" for bowl teams. I will take that performance by the Gopher Offense any day with Kill's philosophy for Offense and Defense, and the Gophers will win 9 or 10 games, IF they could match that high rate of scoring/possession and the Defense plays to its usual standard. That's not a prediction of future performance. That is a statement about the success of the Gopher Offense on Saturday vs Ohio.
I rate it an A-.

Solid B -

Play calling was much better and more suited for the QB's strengths. Offensive line was much better as well. We struggled on Special Teams and D today.

I'll go B. I was content with the offense on Saturday.

I was happy with the defense too for that matter except for their first touchdown drive.

The special teams was the absolute killer.

Top Bottom