What grade would you give the Gophers Offense in win over Ohio?

• A

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • B

Votes: 73 69.5%
  • C

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • D

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I would go with a B+, but had to stick with a B. They played way better than last week and putting up almost 500 yards of offense is great, but I still would have liked to see us break 30 points. Don't want to sound like I'm complaining though, played very well and a good sight to see heading into B1G play.

Solid B. Moved the ball well at times, especially given consistently terrible field position. Stalled drives, but scored 27 points and was clutch when they needed to be. No turnovers.

I gave them a "C" which is about 4 Standard Deviations from last week. They showed a pulse, but need to be A LOT better if they want to make noise in the division.

We don't need to be better on offense than today
Need to be better on D
In the Kill era, 27 points is about what we need to win

B. Leidner missed some key passes early. But overall, they did their part. Defense just needs to do theirs now.

I gave them a B. Good yardage, but need more than 27 against a MAC team. Score 38 and I would give it an A.

B

The offense was consistent and moved the ball.
I'm not even that upset with the defense.
Where I was disappointed was in our special teams. Worst special teams effort I have seen in a long time. Almost cost us the game.

C, at best.

If the offense cannot sustain drives the defense is going to suffer. Too much time on the field.

Mitch does not seem to have the ability to throw a tight spiral. Nearly all ducks.

C, at best.

If the offense cannot sustain drives the defense is going to suffer. Too much time on the field.

Mitch does not seem to have the ability to throw a tight spiral. Nearly all ducks.

Time of possession today was even. And if anything, the defense was on the field too much today because they couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Do people like to make stuff up so they can still rip our offense? Anything below a "B-" today is way off base IMO. I give them a B+.

C+ to B- Still a ways to go but showed signs of life. Finally saw some speed with our young guys and I think there is reason to have a little faith that the offense will be able to move the ball with some sort of consistency. Gotta quit throwing the long ball down the sideline just hoping that they get lucky, plenty of guys open underneath. The running backs sure were exciting to watch.

27 points is about NCAA average.

Need to do better than average to be better than average.

C, at best.

We averaged 8.5 plays per possession.
6 of 8 possessions were at least 7 plays long.
We averaged over 58 yards per possession.
Had four drives of 78 yards or more.
We scored on 5 of 8 possessions.

The offense was pretty efficient today in my opinion. The defense struggled to get off the field which limited our chances. And the special teams didn't help in field possession.

Time of possession today was even. And if anything, the defense was on the field too much today because they couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Do people like to make stuff up so they can still rip our offense? Anything below a "B-" today is way off base IMO. I give them a B+.

Talking big picture. C at best. Not ripping the offense. Nor making anything up.

The offense has been and continues to be the main issue, through 4 games.

Talking big picture. C at best. Not ripping the offense. Nor making anything up.

Ok. The question was give a grade for the performance against Ohio, not the whole season.

It was a positive step forward whatever it was. Welcome to the show Shannon Brooks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B, Brooks and Smith look like tons of fun.

I just can't give an A with Mitch's missed passes, also a nasty drop there.

B-...great job by a beat up and scrappy O-line. The entire team showed a lot of resolve.

Anybody who gave less than a B, doesn't know squat about football. Look at the damn stats. We punted 3 times today. What's a B? Zero punts.

I'm grading somewhat on my expectations for this offense but I'm saying A. I'll take 27 points and no turnovers in only 9 possessions (not including the non-possession frome the 10 with 48 seconds left) every time.

I went with a "C" and there have been a couple good points in this thread. Studwell mentioning that 27 points is about the NCAA average, so playing at home against a MAC school scoring 27 should probably put you closer to a "D". Gophers in Iowa mentioned a number of stats that showed the offense was fairly effective, they just didn't have that many opportunities (8 possessions).

My biggest concern going in to conference play is that the offense has yet to hit on a deep pass outside the numbers, and most of the attempts have not even been close. The Gophers will be seeing (generally) better corners the rest of the way and I see a lot of DC's stacking the box and daring the Gophers to connect on some deep shots. It's going to be tough to run on first and ten unless/until the Gophers show some big play ability through the air.

I went with a "C" and there have been a couple good points in this thread. Studwell mentioning that 27 points is about the NCAA average, so playing at home against a MAC school scoring 27 should probably put you closer to a "D". Gophers in Iowa mentioned a number of stats that showed the offense was fairly effective, they just didn't have that many opportunities (8 possessions).

My biggest concern going in to conference play is that the offense has yet to hit on a deep pass outside the numbers, and most of the attempts have not even been close. The Gophers will be seeing (generally) better corners the rest of the way and I see a lot of DC's stacking the box and daring the Gophers to connect on some deep shots. It's going to be tough to run on first and ten unless/until the Gophers show some big play ability through the air.

Went with a C+. We played much better on O than in previous games. Still failed to get push up front alot of the game, and some of the drops/bad throws you just can't have when we start playing tougher opponents.

That said, that last drive was amazing. I felt like everyone got in on that, some young WR'S made some great plays to keep us alive. We really seem to be more effective in the hurry up.

I know I've heard the coaches talk about the negatives of running tempo, but man our O seems to like it so much I'd think about running it more often.

Anyone giving this offense a C or worse is expecting too much from what we have.

Minus fumbles pretty good game. Sure up the return game and that will win the gophers more games than it'll lose them.

Ohio played very well today. The gophers fumbled 5 times and they won. I will take that

We are a ball possession offense. Comparing ball possession offenses to the average offense, which includes many Spread high octane offenses, will likely be disappointing. If you compare our offense to Big 12 scoring offenses, I guess we'd rate a D or F. But, their Defenses would be an F-, statistically, compared to ours.
Offense and Defense philosophies are linked and generally compliment one another. This is the strategy that Kill has used and wishes to use going forward. I seriously doubt that they are using collegiate averages to measure the success of their O and D. I'm guessing they look at their own history to measure success. Comparing statistics from programs that likely have different philosophies is comparing apples to oranges.

Anyone giving this offense a C or worse is expecting too much from what we have.

If I hadn't seen what they are capable of doing (last drive, and some nice plays scattered throughout the game) I would have graded them higher. This is a good thing, I think they are capable of better, and they showed that on some drives today. Need more consistency, and more push up front to impose our will in the run game. I think maybe we are still capable of that this year. Last week I would not have been so optimistic.

Well told. Good analysis of the critics.

We are a ball possession offense. Comparing ball possession offenses to the average offense, which includes many Spread high octane offenses, will likely be disappointing. If you compare our offense to Big 12 scoring offenses, I guess we'd rate a D or F. But, their Defenses would be an F-, statistically, compared to ours.
Offense and Defense philosophies are linked and generally compliment one another. This is the strategy that Kill has used and wishes to use going forward. I seriously doubt that they are using collegiate averages to measure the success of their O and D. I'm guessing they look at their own history to measure success. Comparing statistics from programs that likely have different philosophies is comparing apples to oranges.

Of the 39 Bowl games last year only 5(!) featured a winning team scoring less than 30 points. Only two of those 5 games featured a Power 5 school and only 1 game of those games featured two Power 5 schools head to head (South Carolina 24 Miami 21 in a battle of 6-6 teams). If your offensive philosophy does not include scoring 27+ points a game, it's very unlikely you will be successful long term in this era of college football.

The main issue yesterday was the defense and special teams play.

Top Bottom