What grade would you give the Gophers hiring of P.J. Fleck as the new coach?

What grade would you give the Gophers hiring of P.J. Fleck as the new coach?

• A

Votes: 128 67.7%
  • B

Votes: 42 22.2%
  • C

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • D

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A. The only other time in my recollection that we hired the guy we wanted was Lou Holtz. I see Fleck in the same category as Holtz....a master motivator. His first job is to keep the recruits he wants to keep and to keep the present players he wants to keep. Then he needs to go get a qb. I will be interested to see if he brings his coordinators, guys he highly respects and believes in. I never saw Tracy as a motivator but this new guy is a true motivator. He has a good bunch of players returning and in a few years will have some outstanding new recruits coming in.

I gave an A only because I couldn't give a B+. Recruiting will be better, I'm hoping they can develop the players at this level. Hoping their game planning will meet the Big Ten level each week.

Pass. Or solid B since it is at a minimum a lateral coaching xhange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Aight im calling for immediate ban hammers for all C/D votes in this poll - shouts to the gopherhole staff for concocting such an elaborate troll trap

I give it a B. Having been a student during the Lou "Music Man" Holtz era, I reserve the right to be cautious about the hire. I want to see the results on the field.

I gave it a B, actually I was looking for B+. He hasn't landed a recruit, named his staff, or met the players, but he has coached against the Big 10. He has won some lost some. Welcome PJ. OOOOH, I just thought of a night game promo. Maroon and Gold PJ Night.

D.

This is a step back. PJ is the shiny new unproven coach that should be hired to rebuild a program. Would have been happy with this hire had we been in the dumps like when we hired Kill. We are no longer in the dumps and don't need to rebuild, just need to take the next step. Can we do that with PJ? No one ones, not even PJ. After a 9 win season as a season ticket holder I expected more from Coyle and am not happy.

I call Bull****

Incomplete. If he's still here in 3 years, I'll let you know how this hire turns out.

Was Les Miles really an option? He would have been an A+++ hire, but PJ Fleck is a good hire also. Lets get this whole mess behind us.

Incomplete. If he's still here in 3 years, I'll let you know how this hire turns out.

The hire is complete. That is what we are grading here not his time here.

#coacheslivesmatter

Solid A. To the people who responded B I'm curious who you would have hired that would of been an A.

Considering the entire situation, I honestly think it's an A+.

Given Tracy was fired and you were hiring someone, this is a rock solid A. Hottest name out there. Doesn't mean he'll win here, but he was the best hire we could've made in terms of mix of being established and having room to grow. It's an upgrade at HC, we'll see what he makes happen at coordinator to see if it's a full staff upgrade

I give it a C mainly because he has only been a head coach at the FBS level at Western Michigan, and I'm not sold on him just because of his level of experience. Hope he proves me wrong and wins 7+ games next yr. And hoping Jay stays on with the team.

A
You all should be thrilled.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Go away

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.
That negativity has worked well here for the last 50 years. Keep it up.

That negativity has worked well here for the last 50 years. Keep it up.

A little thin-skinned are you? just teasing. relax.

The hire is complete. That is what we are grading here not his time here.

#coacheslivesmatter

My apologies for having an opinion that doesn't line up with yours. Under your scenario: a C.

A+ for being prepared to hire a coach after firing one, landing that target and that target having demonstrated an ability to actually coach.

F- for the manner in which maneuvering to make this hire was handled, fanning the flames of a fire into an inferno damaging the University further during a crisis and for the complete lack of ability to manage difficult situations with even an iota of skill and for putting yourself in a situation to have to overpay for said coach.

My apologies for having an opinion that doesn't line up with yours. Under your scenario: a C.

A+ for being prepared to hire a coach after firing one, landing that target and that target having demonstrated an ability to actually coach.

F- for the manner in which maneuvering to make this hire was handled, fanning the flames of a fire into an inferno damaging the University further during a crisis and for the complete lack of ability to manage difficult situations with even an iota of skill and for putting yourself in a situation to have to overpay for said coach.

On the contrary, I think this may have been the best run coaching search since 1990 for either basketball or football.

Coyle put his foot firmly in his mouth at the firing press conference, but they just got the guy they wanted in 72 hours.

I'm not sure putting your foot in your mouth is worth an F. But if they had let him go sooner speculation may have started and it may have scared off candidates.
Part of the reason Fleck liked Minnesota and not Purdue may have been his chance to coach the cotton bowl

A.

Lousy circumstances. I've determined though that if you become a new AD I'm not sure when you can the current guy for your own pick. Tracy made it hard in some ways and easy in others.

Still wonder how "change" would go down if the events of Sept. 2 did not transpire. We'll never know.

On the contrary, I think this may have been the best run coaching search since 1990 for either basketball or football.

Coyle put his foot firmly in his mouth at the firing press conference, but they just got the guy they wanted in 72 hours.

I'm not sure putting your foot in your mouth is worth an F. But if they had let him go sooner speculation may have started and it may have scared off candidates.
Part of the reason Fleck liked Minnesota and not Purdue may have been his chance to coach the cotton bowl

I don't know enough to say since 1900 but it felt like we knew what we were doing. Hence the A+ part. Being a soul-sucking jackwagon really brings the grade down much like being good at winning doesn't always give a coach a free pass on being a total jackwagon (ala Bo Pelini)

I give it an "A", but I am grading on the standpoint of the Gophers/Coyle getting their first choice. Not many schools get their first choice, without doing a ton of research, the only other school this off season to get their first choice was Texas.

This is only my 4th coaching change as a Gophers fan (I know there are many posters on this board who have been through more). Here is how I would've graded the hires in my time both at the time and in retrospect:

Brew: at the time: F in retrospect: C- (he brought a lot of energy and marketing and he did squeek into two bowls)
Kill: at the time: C- (was concerned about his health from day one) in retrospect: B+ (built a tough squad who were never outworked, but his health was his undoing)
Claeys: at the time C- (no FBS team would have hired him as head coach - why should we have?) in retrospect: too soon to say
Fleck: A+ (we just hired one of the finalists for FBS Coach of the Year! Will recruit great. Hopeful about the staff he'll put together with the U opening up their wallet)

I appreciate your post. Nicely done.

A in the sense that the AD hit his first choice target and finessed a difficult situation (that he contributed to). In the past we wound up with choices far down the pecking order. Fleck is a disruptive force, and I think there's a chance that he may be what's necessary to make the jump to the next level.

I'm not convinced that Fleck is loyal to UMN. Stick around for 10 years. Win at least 4 B1G West titles and at least 2 B1G championships and then I'll give the hire an A. Until then, I see this as just a pit stop for Fleck when this University needs a long-term coach. I give it a C-.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom