What grade would you give the Gophers defense vs MTSU?

How would you grade the D?

• A

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • B

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • C

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • D

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

A combination of lack of pass rush / QB contain, and some really nice plays by the MTSU receivers. If the offense could have done a better job the D wouldn't have been on the field so much, either.

The lack of a pass rush was a bit troubling.

A B minus. We played a ton of the youngsters and third teamers on the DL toward the end, plus how many three and outs did we have the second half plus the blocked punt. They'll be fine.

Depends first half or second. First half B+. Second half D. Just sort of gave up and showed no effort. That scoring play on the shanked punt, nobody even moved.

1st Half: A

2nd Half, Specifically the 3rd Quarter: C

Overall: B

First half looked good, but the Corners again failed to turn their heads and we were lucky we didn't get called on several plays for PI. Defensive line is too young, which isn't their fault and they've totally lost containment. They should watch Michigan St and their effort against Mariotti.

First half looked good, but the Corners again failed to turn their heads and we were lucky we didn't get called on several plays for PI. Defensive line is too young, which isn't their fault and they've totally lost containment. They should watch Michigan St and their effort against Mariotti.

This is coached. They play their guy and read their eyes and hands. Their ball skills were exposed a bit today. Funches, if healthy will have a hay day if we can't pressure the QB.

I'd say C+

But I'm really starting to worry about Wells tackling ability, especially on that 2nd Half opening drive, atrocious. He's great at blitzing and OK in coverage but boy does he refuse to wrap up a lot of the time. That ain't going to cut it in Conference play.

B+ considering how much they were on the field. Gave up a lot of yards but they were very tired in the second half. Forced turn overs and scored a touchdown.

If our offense had been productive in the second half and kept the defense fresh, no one would have said anything other than an A (in my opinion).

I'd say C+

But I'm really starting to worry about Wells tackling ability, especially on that 2nd Half opening drive, atrocious. He's great at blitzing and OK in coverage but boy does he refuse to wrap up a lot of the time. That ain't going to cut it in Conference play.
Yeah those throw your shoulder in to a guy tackles will not play well in conference play or even against TCU. Wells likes to throw a shoulder and misses some times.
The MTSU receivers got away with a lot of push offs and made some great plays on the ball. There were 3 true Freshman playing defensive line in the game a lot in the second half, the staff must be trying to get those kids to learn how to play hard and finish games out. It is good experience for these guys. We had a nice goal line stand with the regulars where they played at a high level so I will give the D the benefit of the doubt and give them a B grade overall for a pretty decent first half. Need to generate a little more pressure from other Guys, beyond Richardson and Botticelli and TC and Amefuela group there was a considerable drop off with the other guys.

First half "A". Second half......not so much. I'd go so far as to say "F".

The "D" appeared to have shifted to preparing for TCU coming out of halftime and MTSU made them pay for it. I fault the coaches a little for this, but like that they forced the kids to figure it out, and they did to an extent. Highlight of the second half was the TD that was accurately overturned and holding them to the field goal.

The rest better pay off later in the year. The young kids, in particular, fought through many, many, many mistakes. If they learn from them, I may change the grade for the second half of the year to a "C". If they get beat like this again, nothing was gained. The injuries on the D line really hurt right now, but this D will continue to be pretty good for several years as some of the Freshman being pushed into playing time now develop.

The future is very bright for us on D.

it was depressing to see how flat the Defense came out the 2nd half.

if they did that against a better team we would be 1-1 with more doubts. as it is we are 2-0 and have a better outlook than those guys just south of us (both Iowa and Nebraska) have not checked out how nuts those fans are right now. Ball state and McNeese State should not be within a TD late in a game at the home field of any big ten school

Pick 6, Interception, scoreless in the first half. They couldn't play much better. Second half, D. They struggled, to keep players on the field, find any pressure, and merely road it to the finish. Overall C.

The defense is not at midseason form, but after watching several B1G games this weekend, I'm excited. This staff has recruited to their style and philosophy. Fast, talented bunch of playmakers on the 2-deep. Stay healthy and we'll be one of the top defensive teams in the B1G by season's end.

I gave a "C." Coach up the freshmen, particulary the DLs that gotta learn position and contain. Get after the secondary (and everyone else) to stay hydrated. It was in the 70s (good grief) and I imagine Saturday's Fort Worth trip will be warmer. Having said that, the freshmen and rest of the team had a learning experience - and still won. And for whatever it's worth, I have a feeling MTSU will be bowling.

I, too, think MTSU is not getting the respect they deserve. I think their QB has some moxie. They were mauled by DC and our run game, and our defense was smothering in the first half. But, when their schedule lightens, they'll be successful.

Top Bottom