What grade would you give the Gophers defense following the OT loss at Maryland?

What grade would you give the Gophers defense following the OT loss at Maryland?

• A

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • D

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • F

Votes: 87 83.7%

• Total voters
At this point there should be about 9 new players seeing significant playing time next week
This amount of change would make things worse not better. I would rather play a three man front with #34 back as a rover, with the two linebackers #55 and #45 switching depending on the look, and #25 and # 8 rotating at the Will backer (mix a safety like #27 Nubin on obvious pass plays for #55)

3 - 4 look to simplify gaps and I want #34 not letting the offensive line get there hands on him at the line of scrimmage, he needs to be free to crash from either side. My three man front is #9 at right defensive end, the freshman #99 at the NT and alternate Drew Treadaway and Schad at the left end. We have to simplify things up front until we get an offseason where the real fixes can get ironed out. with the traditional base 4-3. #27 the Sophomore Safety needs to watch a little more from the sideline, that dude is talented but he seems dazed and confused right now. Howden is maintaining his responsibility as are the Corners they are playing with effort and playing hard. I would like Howden to be more vocal, he is leader out there, let him make more calls.

Last edited:

I have seen a lot of comparisons to worse than Wacker era and Salem era defenses. While the points and statistics may say this because of the level of play, the type of athlete and talent does not. This team is not slow, or weak, the biggest problem with the defense right now is the structural way the players are fitting up front and lack of team play. I don't like playing three corners especially playing a corner at linebacker, or a linebacker #8 Rush in Coughlin's old spot at right defensive end. The alignment up front between the linebackers and the front four is off and is impacting the ability of the defense to make plays. This is more about overpursuit, and bad angles, being out of position, too much freelancing than lack of athletes or ability to make plays. They have to find a combination that can play together and execute the defensive calls. #9 and # 34 are really good athletes but they are not maintaining gap integrity against the run. The defensive tackles are getting upright,playing too tall, turned backwards, and being pushed out of the play a lot. Too much woe as me and thinking here we go again. This team really needs to break down film and watch what they are doing wrong. It is more about that than it is lack of talent or athletic ability.
You are watching different games than I am.

You are watching different games than I am.
Breakdown the individual plays where they are completely out of the gate, or nobody touches a wide open player on touchdowns. The play calls are working against the Gophers because the defensive line is not giving the the back 7 any chance to make plays. This is why I say simplify the defensive line, GAP control at the defensive line is a problem.

Breakdown the individual plays where they are completely out of the gate, or nobody touches a wide open player on touchdowns. The play calls are working against the Gophers because the defensive line is not giving the the back 7 any chance to make plays. This is why I say simplify the defensive line, GAP control at the defensive line is a problem.
I don't need to select certain plays to illustrate the point that our players are slower than the offensive players. Likewise, our DL has no penetration on a majority of plays and doesn't come off blocks. Part of the issues are likely alignment and play recognition, however it is painfully obvious our players are outclassed in speed to this point.

Top Bottom