What grade would you give the Gophers D vs. Illinois?

• A+

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • A

Votes: 46 45.5%
  • A-

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • B+

Votes: 10 9.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I said A-. Can't keep getting beat on a flea flicker still. But an A+ for me is a shutout for our D in a victory, so I digress.

Gopher Grade

I said A-. Can't keep getting beat on a flea flicker still. But an A+ for me is a shutout for our D in a victory, so I digress.

They deserve an A. Just think if Mason could have developed stingy defenses.

I gave an A. I don't believe in A+ anymore than I believe in F+.

The D done good tho.

A just because Illinois isnt very good. Great performance though.

What is the point of a poll where three of the grades are variations of the same letter grade and the 4th is one step below? If we are going to grade something Grade the Offense against Illinois where at least there is some room for discussion. The D played great and dominated a crappy offense the way they were supposed to. If you hold a team to 3 points you get an A+ regardless of what happened during the game because that is a point total allowed that wins you ball games.

Great job. Hageman gets a lot of press (deserved), but I was extremely impressed with Roland Johnson today. Plus, they seem to have finally figured out how to defend the "cut back" run that has killed us this season. Defensive backfield has been playing really well.

Defense = A+

I'd give the Offense = D

I would give our offense a C+ or a B-. To the best of my recollection, we did not throw an interception. To the best of my recollection, we did not fumble and lose the ball. For the first time in my recent memory, we established a running game and started to really pound the rock (Kirkwood / Williams) against the Illini in the 4th quarter. We did all this losing two centers in one game. I thought our offense performed credibily. We made no big mistakes. We did not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We scored points which equal a prime number that is not 13. Call me superstitious, but this is one reason we won. I was really nervous when the score was 10-3 and I was worried we would score another field goal and make it 13-3. In my mind, an unlucky 13 would have turned into a loss.

Great job. Hageman gets a lot of press (deserved), but I was extremely impressed with Roland Johnson today. Plus, they seem to have finally figured out how to defend the "cut back" run that has killed us this season. Defensive backfield has been playing really well.

+1. I give our DLine an A+ for sure. Illinois is terrible, and Sheelhouse is worse than he was as a freshman, but our line dominated Illinois all day, and Roland Johnson did especially. Commentators kept talking about the IL guy, but I thought Johnson was the best D Lineman on the field all day today.

Yes, Roland Johnson was a beast today. I believe there were two holding penalties incurred by Illinois due to him busting through, and he had several big plays. Did Rashede play?

I was going to comment on Johnson as well. He seems to be getting better and better every week. There was a play today (don't remember all the details) where he was held big time and still was able to get in on the play.

A Defense

C Offense-240 rushing yards good, 77 passing very bad. We might as well go to the wishbone with this kind of production.

Troy should have turned his head when he saw their receiver slowing down and look back to the ball. It could have been a pick or at least he could have knocked it down. I was surprised the ball did not hit Troy in helmet.

Later in the game Troy did turn around and made a great play.

Defense = A. Impressed with Clayes and crew.

Offense = C+. Found the running game and the passing game did not turn the ball over. 20-30 mph. Wind and Illinois blitzing every play. Still completed 60% and some big plays to Green and Frichte.

A Defense

C Offense-240 rushing yards good, 77 passing very bad. We might as well go to the wishbone with this kind of production.

Hum? Did any of you notice the wind. I wonder if that had any impact on the passing game and the game plan? Thank god you guys don't have anything to do with the game planning:confused:

Hum? Did any of you notice the wind. I wonder if that had any impact on the passing game and the game plan? Thank god you guys don't have anything to do with the game planning:confused:

Not to mention the injuries we have at WR. I was frustrated with the play calling at times, thinking we needed to pass more. Thankfully Coach Kill knows a bit more than I do.

Yeah, with the conditions, and a true freshman QB, and a lot of WR and OL injuries, and RB being the one position of health and strength, you pound it and keep the mistakes to a minimum. As long as Illinois was only getting a FG, why take unnecessary risks and suddenly give them a TO right in your territory or something.

Nelson made enough throws and plays (the one to Fruechte deep in our own territory to continue that drive, the one to BG on 3rd down leading to the 4th down conversion and TD) to get the job done. It wasn't complete ineptitude from the passing game, but when you're running well, and conditions are what they were, and your defense is shutting them down, why press it?

Top Bottom