What grade would you give the Gophers coaching during the 2022 regular season?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • C

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • D

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I gave a C. Passing but not great. Beat the vegas win total but as the season progressed I was a little frustrated with the Purdue and Iowa games. If they had won one more game I would have given a B and if they had won 10 it would have been an A.

B (really B- if I could). A winning BG10 record is nothing less than a B for a Gopher team especially with some key injuries. B+ if they would have beaten Iowa. A- if they beat Purdue and won the West. A if they would have beat Purdue and Iowa, sitting at 10-2 and probably ranked somewhere near top 10.

I chose a B. That would be a B+ for the defense and a B- for the offense. Defense's B+ would have been an A- if coaches could have have found a way to defend TE passes up the middle seam; and could have moved to an A if coaches could have, in addition, developed a pass rush. Offense, played well in many games, but I think the coaches really failed in the crucial Purdue and Iowa games. Our only scoring 10 points against Purdue, notwithstanding Mo's absence, was a big coaching failure. Our scoring only 10 points against Iowa wasn't a "failure," but it evinced a real lack of offensive coaching creativity. Iowa continues to beat us by running a few plays for big gains that we simply weren't prepared for; we continue to lose to Iowa by very courteously running only plays that Iowa has seen on film and is prepared for.

Went with a B.

I would go with an A for the defense and a C+ for the offense. I thought we could do a lot better on offense and sometimes we were outcoached. Not sure about the OC.

Objectively, most services had this team pegged with around 7 wins so they were slightly better than advertised.

Went with D. Below average in my opinion, based on schedule and going into the year.

I gave them a C. PSU was the only acceptable loss. I do like how they brought AK along.

C.... Anything higher is just dumb... Another year the west was down and we blew it... And all we've heard was "this loss is on me" from p.j. he still has yet to change his best

I gave a B.

8 wins is a nice total as far as I'm concerned and beating Wisconsin again is great. Didn't lose any non-conference games, finished top 5 in fewest penalty yards per game, nothing embarrassing off the field.

Too many games where we went down 10-0, put us in bad situations. If they beat Iowa I'd give them a B. If they beat Purdue or Illinois and win the west, would've been an A

Gave a D. Inability to adjust and managing timeouts continue to be a problem in year 6. They blew a great opportunity this year to win the West.

C-: Virtually no in game adjustments ever, once we got down it was almost impossible to come back, didn't fully utilize Athan's skill set until the last game, and stuck with Tanner too long. Defense was good, but the stubbornness to adjust the offense mid-game and mid-season costed us a chance at the West.

I went with a B. Would have been B- if that option was available.

Defense: B+ to A-. mostly solid with a few exceptions (cover the TE)

Offense: B-. lack of creativity was my biggest issue.

Special Teams: C- to D+. Trickett was fine. Punting, Punt return and KO return were.......not fine....

now that I think it over, I really should have gone with an overall grade of "C+." didn't allow for Special Teams pulling down the overall grade.

I do not think this will happen, but I would be very happy if Fleck replaced the Special Teams coordinator. one of the most under-performing areas of the team.

B. Above .500 in B1G play, keeping The Axe two years in a row, and actually managing a brand new QB relatively well at the most critical juncture of the season. Certainly a C losing both The Axe and Floyd and not advancing Athan's training.

Defense: A (Come on, they're top 10 in the nation in many categories. At MINNESOTA. Solid A)
Offense: C (The issues are well-documented and reared their head against the better teams)
ST: C (Again, well-documented lapses. Trickett was money a few times, but the misses were critical)

OVERALL: B

C

Some good things, started the season fantastic, but then too much playing not to lose, and one dimensional offense. Special teams not very special again. Defense was well coached and overachieved, particularly with the lack of any consistent pass rush.

Just an overall...meh.

C.

C-: Virtually no in game adjustments ever, once we got down it was almost impossible to come back, didn't fully utilize Athan's skill set until the last game, and stuck with Tanner too long. Defense was good, but the stubbornness to adjust the offense mid-game and mid-season costed us a chance at the West.
I don't know if any of us will know the answer... Did he stick with Tanner too long or not let Tanner make plays? Athan's first 3-4 games were no different than the majority of Tanner's poor games... 10-15 passing attempts, very vanilla passing combinations/receivers out for routes, etc... Very few QBs in the world would be successful in that setting.

Not shocking, they open the playbook up and Athan looked great.

Either way, as it sits right now we have a bright future at that position.... but I said the same thing in 2019. Following Tanner's 3253 yards and 30 TD to 7 Int season if you would have told me we got 3 more years I would have been thinking we have a first round draft pick on our hands.

I'll take it to my grave that the Purdue and Iowa losses were lost due to coaching.
No Mo, a dropped TD, and missed FG against Purdue didn't help. And a rare Mo fumble and another missed FG vs. Iowa and we might be talking differently. But I agree, I think the coaches blundered the Iowa game. They played way too cautiously and lacked creativity (Mo left, Mo right, Mo center).
At the end of the year last year I had hoped that going forward PJ would figure out a way to destroy and dominate the non-conf. schedule for a change, and he did...so far. Next year I hope he figures out a way to make this offense less one-dimensional. And, figures out how to manage timeouts.
Anyway, I gave them a C. The defense was a bright spot, but the offense was hateful to watch at times.

A grade should be awarded basis performance, not performance vs expectation. B seems appropriate. Over .500, beat one of two major rivals, almost beat the other, had great first four games, faltered badly twice, played with few foolish penalties but used time outs poorly. Failed disastrously in two critical 4th down plays, defended well in nine or ten games. A good, not great year. Certainly above a C, not really close to an A.

I went with a C. Considered B, but we were definitely out-coached in the Purdue and Iowa games, and a little out-coached in the Illinois game. Yes, we had some really good games, but overall an average job of coaching.

I voted B, I would have given them a B- if that was an option.

Gave it a C.

The Purdue game was there for the taking. Not the coaches fault MBS screwed up a TD catch.

Should have won the Iowa game but two late turnovers cost that one. Again not the coaches fault but this was the year to win the B1G West and they didn’t get it done.

No Mo, a dropped TD, and missed FG against Purdue didn't help. And a rare Mo fumble and another missed FG vs. Iowa and we might be talking differently. But I agree, I think the coaches blundered the Iowa game. They played way too cautiously and lacked creativity (Mo left, Mo right, Mo center).
At the end of the year last year I had hoped that going forward PJ would figure out a way to destroy and dominate the non-conf. schedule for a change, and he did...so far. Next year I hope he figures out a way to make this offense less one-dimensional. And, figures out how to manage timeouts.
Anyway, I gave them a C. The defense was a bright spot, but the offense was hateful to watch at times.
Was this not effective?

The Wisconsin, Nebraska, Purdue, Iowa, and Illinois games would all dispute this.

The Wisconsin, Nebraska, Purdue, Iowa, and Illinois games would all dispute this.
We lost to Purdue, Iowa, and Illinois so I don’t see your point there. Nebraska was a nice comeback win but it was the first time PJ has won being down 10+ at the half.

Top Bottom