What grade would you give the Gophers coaches in the win at Iowa?

What grade would you give the Gophers coaches in the win at Iowa?

• A

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • B

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 46 28.6%
  • D

Votes: 32 19.9%
  • F

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

My overall coaching grade would be a B-.

Defense gets an A. (I would say A+ but the penalties that gifted IA a TD in the 1st half count as part of the grade.)

Offense gets a C. Yes, I know some of that is players not executing or catching balls, but when you have a chance to put a game away, go for it. the offensive coaches turtled up.

Special teams - Kesich gets an A. Punt return team gets detention. overall grade a B-.

He's not wrong.
The game thread was filled with colorful posts regarding Fleck's employment. Special teams is still a nightmare...aside from our kicker. If that call at the end isn't made, we lose and there would be F's all around.
Please don't reference the game thread. That is a cesspool .

I hate the 'If the good things didn't happen, we would have lost'. Same goes the other way, if Mo doesn't fumble last year then we win

The outcome happened. Gophers won. You might not like how it's made but the final product was successful. There was a strategy and it worked.

Was PJ gutless or did he play the odds (correctly I might add)?

I hate the 'If the good things didn't happen, we would have lost'. Same goes the other way, if Mo doesn't fumble last year then we win

The outcome happened. Gophers won. You might not like how it's made but the final product was successful. There was a strategy and it worked.
Luckily.

I'm still giving them a C.

A big Ol' W! Just gotta keep getting better each week. Got to give credit to linebackers and D line today. Those linebackers really stepped up their games today. I gave some stuff and gruff earlier in the year but super excited about them stepping up.

Defense: A (Iowa had 12 yards in second half). Offense: D (passing game sputtered most of the way and we couldn't really get the running game going in usual fashion, though both improved in the 2nd half).

The question wasn’t how do you feel beating Iowa. I’m sorry, but you watched that game and voted “A”? That is pretty telling.

Offense: B-
Defense: A+
Special teams: C
Overall: B

It feels like Fleck, at least to some degree, is learning his lesson with the faults of his conservative style of play. He took risks, let the ball be aired out after things weren't working in the first half, and was generally very adaptable. That said, still room for improvement especially on the kickoff/punt return game.

Good win. D was great. Cant believe we won. Offense is pathetic, as is Iowa.

Iowa beat us in baffling ways in 2019, 2021, and 2022. All I heard after those games is how PJ was outcoached by Ferentz. Well now the tables have turned so I see no other option than to give our coaches an A+

I'm tempted to give the head coach an F simply because of the circumstances of Evans' injury. So, so, so stupid. I've posted about this before, but here is an end-of-half, two-minute situation wish list.

Most coaches:
1. TD
2. FG

Fleck:
1. Don't let the other team have the ball back
2. FG
3. TD (in our dreams)

With this in mind, we get the ball on our own 32, NO timeouts, and 43 seconds left. When you have 8 yards passing 29 minutes into the game, are going into the wind against Iowa's defense, it's an obvious kneel down situation, but Fleck runs a play and Evans is injured. This injury is 100% on Fleck. What on earth is the point in running here? Just kneel down if you're trying to run the clock out!!! The chances of running on first down and then somehow scoring are so ridiculously low. Much lower than an injury risk.

To add some sugar on top, we get a 10-second runoff, and then Fleck chooses to throw twice, both incomplete, resulting in a punt with 5 seconds left in the half. Nobody ever claimed he was a clock management genius.

Last win in Iowa City was 1999, during Ferentz' first year coaching. No matter the offensive struggles that Iowa may have from year to year, their defense has been excellent for a long long time.

I might not agree with particular gameday decisions, who is starting where, why a coach is in a particular position, or what comment is being said by whom... but...

Any visitor that travels to Iowa City and wins with at best mediocre recruiting gets at least a B from me regarding coaching staff as they are doing something right.

Last edited:

Staying with my no negativity pledge for at least 24 hours so I am going to refrain on giving a grade. Rossi absolutely deserves an "A" for second half performance from his defense. Even acknowledging the weakness of the opposition, Rossi seemed to have things timed up to perfection in that second half. He's definitely had his struggles against Brian Ferentz in the past, but that second half today was really impressive stuff.

B+ overall.

Defense A. Clearly they coached the team to swipe down on the Iowa QB as he had a tendency to hold it low. Also must have seen something around stunts and delays with the Iowa O line.

Offense B. Great adjustment to start 2nd half. AK8 missed multiple bunnies, not a coaching issue. O line also played well.

Special teams D. Punt returner could have fair caught a few more, cost us 40+ yds. Also could have had another 1-2 running into kicker calls that did not get flagged.

Same number of punts (9 each). Iowa netted 85 yds on us. That’s like 1-2 turnovers. WTF, we couldn’t find anyone better than Crawford in the off-season?

Kesich keeps playing well. Only thing that saved an F.

Coverage team still undisciplined. The punt return was a correct call by the officials. But still should have tackled him pinned on the sideline.

These have been consistent issues for multiple years. C’mon man.

C

Iowa's offense in its current state is terrible's ugly cousin. Game shouldn't have come down to the wire again.
Did you see the HIGHLY rated, YOUNG qb for PSU with his supporting cast of four and five star offensive players play in the horseshoe in Columbus complete about 1/3 of his passes yesterday?

The Gopher & the Coach served notice to that LOUD hell-hole Kinnick place that the stinking Hawkeye had beaten the Gopher teams and coaches in since 1999 that this is the beginning of the end of that streak for the stinking Hawkeye.

Wow, I don’t get this hate and discontent shown by some of the faithful (faithless?) around here. Oh well… so it goes.

Good win. D was great. Cant believe we won. Offense is pathetic, as is Iowa.
Iowa is now 6-2. Iowa was 6-1 heading into that game. The Gopher coaching staff/game plan/ player execution FORCED the stinking Hawkeye to try to come from behind and win with the pass. THAT was brilliant.

“…ding dong the curse of the stinking Hawkeye (kinnick with it’s pink visitor locker room brought to us by Hayden Fry and continued for the next quarter century by the Ferentz family) is dead…”

That damn streak has been ended.

Last edited:

Did you see the HIGHLY rated, YOUNG qb for PSU with his supporting cast of four and five star offensive players play in the horseshoe in Columbus complete about 1/3 of his passes yesterday?

The Gopher & the Coach served notice to that LOUD hell-hole Kinnick place that the stinking Hawkeye had beaten the Gopher teams and coaches in since 1999 that this is the beginning of the end of that streak for the stinking Hawkeye.

Wow, I don’t get this hate and discontent shown by some of the faithful (faithless?) around here. Oh well… so it goes.

Reread my post and try again.

Had to give coaches an A even if it was an ugly win. We got Floyd and won in a difficult place to win where we haven't since 1999.

I’m happy we won. I was in MN when we destroyed them last time 8 years ago, but that gutless RUTM 3 times in a row with 6 minutes left almost cost the game. Play to friggin win, geez.

Top Bottom