What grade would you give the Gophers 2022-23 Gophers hockey season?

• A

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • B

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • C

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • D

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • F

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A-. As disappointing as that third period was, we hang a banner for a conference title, earned the number one overall seed, and marched our way into the national title game.

B.

It was the bare minimum for this team given the talent coming back. They cruised to the big ten title but failed to win either championship game.

C, we got to the finish line and quit halfway through final game. Typical Minnesota choke job season.

The people who voted F, why? Care to back up your votes with a reason? Does losing in the final completely destroy all the other good that happened in the season?

The people who voted F, why? Care to back up your votes with a reason? Does losing in the final completely destroy all the other good that happened in the season?
Depends what the expectations are I suppose. F is probably pure emotion right now, though.

I said B. If you would have told me in October we would be National runner-ups it would have been a hands down A. Expectations rose as the year went on, we were up 2-0 in the title game. You can’t collapse like that in the biggest moment and still get an A.

I would have given them an A- if that was an option.

I wanted to vote F, but play right up to the Frozen Four Championship game was better than average. The claiming up in a shell for the last half of the game and playing like Peewees in OT brought it down to a average.

Just a reminder to players that if you don't finish strong that you will be remembered as average because championships matter.

It is ridiculous to grade anything other than an A. Grades are against a standard/outcomes, not individual expectations, talent level on roster, or anything else. You don't grade chemistry exams by intelligence or ACT scores. You grade it on an outcome. We were #1 damn near all year. Dominated our league. Two Hobey finalists. Lost the natty game in OT. How the freak is that not an A? I am as disappointed as anyone else in last night's outcome. Had we won, the season grade would be A+. But any other grade than an A is just delusional.

It is ridiculous to grade anything other than an A. Grades are against a standard/outcomes, not individual expectations, talent level on roster, or anything else. You don't grade chemistry exams by intelligence or ACT scores. You grade it on an outcome. We were #1 damn near all year. Dominated our league. Two Hobey finalists. Lost the natty game in OT. How the freak is that not an A? I am as disappointed as anyone else in last night's outcome. Had we won, the season grade would be A+. But any other grade than an A is just delusional.
Can I talk you into an A-/B+?

Depends what the expectations are I suppose. F is probably pure emotion right now, though.
There is no excuse for this team - the best Gopher team in years, to have done anything other than win the championship. That we are now at 20 years since the last natty is an embarrassment to this program, plain and simple. If you're not first, you're last. The answer is F.

I voted A, while the loss sucked, it was a great season regardless! Any team would love to be in Minnesota's position being in the national championship game!

B. Ranked #1 for the majority of the year. But they lost the two most important games of the year in the Big Ten Championship game and the National Championship. The NC specifically is what you play the entire year for. Losing that game in the fashion that it was lost was unacceptable.

It is ridiculous to grade anything other than an F. Grades are against a standard/outcomes, not individual expectations, talent level on roster, or anything else. You don't grade chemistry exams by intelligence or ACT scores. You grade it on an outcome. We were #1 damn near all year. Dominated our league. Two Hobey finalists. Lost the natty game in OT. How the freak is that not an F?

FIFY

Straight A's thru mid terms and up until the final. D- on the final so a C- for the year. Congratulations. You passed.

I voted A, while the loss sucked, it was a great season regardless! Any team would love to be in Minnesota's position being in the national championship game!
So Minnesota of you. You probably celebrated the four Vikings losses in the Super Bowls. Why is losing acceptable to MN fans? I just don't understand it.

So Minnesota of you. You probably celebrated the four Vikings losses in the Super Bowls. Why is losing acceptable to MN fans? I just don't understand it.
I guarantee you that I am as upset about the loss, and the way we lost it, as anyone on this board. it is indeed not acceptable. But to give the season a very good grade, even if we lost the title game, does not mean you are accepting losing. Granted, I would not give the final game a good grade at all. But that was not the question... question is how you would grade the season. Anyone who would not grade this season as at least "very good" is just not basing the assessment in reality.

I was not born until 1980 so I did not get to watch the 4 Superbowls but nice try!

I always view the season through three lenses: where did we finish in the conference standings, how did we do on the conference playoffs, and how did we do in the NCAA tournament. We got an A in the regular season by winning the title, a B by losing the conference championship game in the Big Ten tourney, and an A-/B+ by making the Frozen Four, winning a semifinal Gamez and then losing the championship game. Works out to the A- I said earlier.

I wouldn't celebrate losing the Super Bowl, but I would also acknowledge that reaching the Super Bowl means you achieved the second best outcome of what is now 32 teams. I think I'd have that as an A- as well.

The A-F rating is a direct reference to an academic grading system. In my experience in college, you generally had a midterm exam, and a final exam worth 20 percent of the total grade each.

Our two "exams" were the Big 10 championship and the National Championship. We failed both exams. We did great on our assignments and projects (regular season), but if you fail both exams, you fail the course.

With a program that has the pedigree, talent, and recruiting pool that we have, there is no redemption in winning regular season games. There is absolutely no reason that the premier program in the best hockey state hasn't won a natty in 20 years.

I realize this post is bitter. This post is not bitter for no good reason though. It's great that we are an incubator for NHL franchises, but at some point, I want to see a banner raised damnit.

B.

Being ranked #1 for so long and having this amount of talent, they should have won the Natty and the way the last 1.5 periods played out (and the final Period against Michigan), I cannot give them an A.

I get the argument this is for the full year and they did a great job MOST of the year, they just couldn't finish when it came time to get the ultimate 2 trophies (B1G Trophy and the Natty).

If you're taking the full year into account for the grade, take the full year into account!

B10 regular season title > B10 playoff title.
I understand that this is the prevailing opinion regarding the B10 title, but I put more value in beating the other top team when it counts.

It's great that we got to bully teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State throughout the regular season, but I don't think our goal should be to beat lesser teams, that should be an expectation.

Do you think UCONN basketball cares that they went 13-7 in conference, and took 4th place in the Big East? I doubt it. They won tough games when it mattered, and that counts far more than any regular season accomplishment. This comparison might be a stretch, but at some point we need to adjust our expectations to align with the caliber of our program. We are better than a B10 regular season champion.

I understand that this is the prevailing opinion regarding the B10 title, but I put more value in beating the other top team when it counts.

It's great that we got to bully teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State throughout the regular season, but I don't think our goal should be to beat lesser teams, that should be an expectation.

Do you think UCONN basketball cares that they went 13-7 in conference, and took 4th place in the Big East? I doubt it. They won tough games when it mattered, and that counts far more than any regular season accomplishment. This comparison might be a stretch, but at some point we need to adjust our expectations to align with the caliber of our program. We are better than a B10 regular season champion.
We won the big ten regular season title because we beat up on everyone in the big ten, not just the bad teams. We had a winning record against every team in our conference and won by far the best conference in college hockey by 19 points.. That dominance says more to me than losing a single elimination conference tournament game by one goal.

Top Bottom