What grade would you give the Gophers 2022-23 basketball season?

What grade would you give the Gophers 2022-23 basketball season?

• A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • B

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • C

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • D

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • F

Votes: 99 63.5%

• Total voters

F, from a purely performance perspective.

29% on anything is a failing grade, even on a steep curve.

The question is, will we learn and grow, or repeat and blow?

I think Johnson was brought in here to recruit MN kids, and turn this into a sustainable concept. He was not expected to do this in a year or two. Fact is he has a pretty good group already for next year, osans a portal disaster. Henley and Carrington have been much better once they got acclimated, and comfortable, at this level. Carrington shows potential as a 3 point shooter which was his high school reputation. Payne will be an absolute beast next year. He plays all out, all the time. Almost ignored was the unreal effort he made getting off the floor then end to end to intercept a fast break pass Last night. Ole Joseph is solid. Add in the Illinois guard, and you have a solid base in place. That’s what Johnson was brought in to do, not got to the Dance immediately.

It's really very hard to be optimistic that the freshman improved because I assume half of them will leave anyway.

F

Btw -asking for a friend- but that crow I ate after the mich win last season (I think it was around that time) can I regurgitate that??

Serious question: if we're already to the point in 2023 where the conventional thinking is that we can't hope to compete with the likes of Penn State and Northwestern, where will things be by 2027?

A = get to tourney or be on solid on the bubble or recruiting a top 10 program
B = having a NIT team, with high growth potential or top 20
C = players develop, plan to stick around - terrible year but a top 20 recruiting year.
D = players develop, reason for optimism in year 1 or 2 from now and recruiting complements to what we have. Some optimism for tourney in a year of 2 - building something.
F = player development miniminal, with no solid recruits on the way.

In the end I feel there are some things in place, if we keep all the freshmen we will be solid. Now wait and see if the D I gave becomes and F. Doubt it will get to a C, but it is possible.

Serious question: if we're already to the point in 2023 where the conventional thinking is that we can't hope to compete with the likes of Penn State and Northwestern, where will things be by 2027?
We should expect incremental improvement each year til 2027 BT champions and 2 seed in the tourney. I expect it but this year it fell off the track.

Incomplete

We never made up the MSU game.
I actually agree with the incomplete, but for a different reason. . My organic chem UofM professor gave me one of those because of a medical issue I had. The year's performance overall clearly an F, but with 4 freshmen playing over 20 minutes per game, all of the medical issues this team had I have to grade coach Ben as incomplete.

2023-24 and then 2024-25 if 2023-24's team holds together, fills the holes that need to be filled, and competes at least towards the middle of the Big 10 conference flirting with an NCAA bid, then I would change the incomplete team grade to a C anyway.

I never made up the incomplete and gave up on a medical career. I believe and I hope that Ben will be able to make up his.

It's really very hard to be optimistic that the freshman improved because I assume half of them will leave anyway.
If that is the case then you have to can the coach. That means the players are not bought in to what the coach is selling. At that point might as well blow it up and start over.

D+
Difficult to win at this level with so many key injuries. Battle having a big letdown of a year hurt just as much. You cannot coach a grown man into making open shots. The margin of losing was more concerning than the record, but there were few losses of large margins when all of the key players were in the lineup.

A lot of progression from some of the freshmen. At the end of the season several of them were playing at a Big Ten level of play, even if none were dominating. The future has potential.

F, from a purely performance perspective.

29% on anything is a failing grade, even on a steep curve.

The question is, will we learn and grow, or repeat and blow?
I think someone set the curve at 35% or something on one of my Biochem exams in school… that would make it a B!

I actually agree with the incomplete, but for a different reason. . My organic chem UofM professor gave me one of those because of a medical issue I had. The year's performance overall clearly an F, but with 4 freshmen playing over 20 minutes per game, all of the medical issues this team had I have to grade coach Ben as incomplete.

2023-24 and then 2024-25 if 2023-24's team holds together, fills the holes that need to be filled, and competes at least towards the middle of the Big 10 conference flirting with an NCAA bid, then I would change the incomplete team grade to a C anyway.

I never made up the incomplete and gave up on a medical career. I believe and I hope that Ben will be able to make up his.
You caught Cupid’s rash did you?

There was almost nothing that went right for this team and barely showed any improvement until the 2nd last game of the year.

A clear F.

Top Bottom