What grade would you give the Gophers 2022-23 basketball season?

What grade would you give the Gophers 2022-23 basketball season?

• A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • B

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • C

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • D

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • F

Votes: 99 63.5%

• Total voters
I gave it a C. Heck I am surprised I graded so high, but if I give it an F then I have to fire the coach. Four freshmen are the key. Ben's seat will be in flames to start the season next year, but I will give him one more year to hose it down.

Is GopherHole admin trolling their own site? This squad just posted the lowest conference win% in Gopher basketball history. To anybody that grades that anything but an “F”, your view of the world must be grossly distorted to come up with ways to envision this getting noticeably worse.
F is for fire to burn down the whole town. -Plankton

I gave it a C. Heck I am surprised I graded so high, but if I give it an F then I have to fire the coach. Four freshmen are the key. Ben's seat will be in flames to start the season next year, but I will give him one more year to hose it down.
I’d say that the freshmen provide hope for the future but the grade is specifically for this past season, not counting “hope for future”.

What does a D or F look like in on-court product for you?

As it turned out, not the worst conference record in program history, but one of the few worst, and certainly one of the worst teams. In short, I don't know how this is anything other than a fail. They should have to repeat this grade.

We all can agree this season was pretty disappointing. Maybe a better poll would be to grade how you feel at the moment for the prospects for next season. A - Very Optimistic, B - Optimistic and so on. As players come or go you can change your vote to see how the sentiment is changing right up to the first game next season similar to the odds changing in Vegas.

Last edited:

From t-rank for high majors (hint: keep scrolling... keep scrolling .... keep scrolling ,,, almost there ... yeah, that's an F):

Thank God our football team, hockey teams and volleyball team are good. It would be suicidal around GHole if they were all terrible too.

I like the future potential of our young players, but that, unfortunately, shouldn't have any bearing on the grade for this season.

The record, the KenPom metrics, and multiple 20+ point losses make it an iron-clad "F." That doesn't mean I'm not very intrigued and hopeful for Year 3!

I like the future potential of our young players, but that, unfortunately, shouldn't have any bearing on the grade for this season.

The record, the KenPom metrics, and multiple 20+ point losses make it an iron-clad "F." That doesn't mean I'm not very intrigued and hopeful for Year 3!
After a while on last night's broadcast, I didn't want to listen to it anymore. During the game, they talked about how bad the Gophers are at ball handling, shooting, rebounding, and free throws. I might have even missed them talking about other things we're bad at. It brings up the logical question for Gopher fans and casual viewers alike: what the heck IS this team any good at? This has been an extraordinarily awful team, and they were well rounded in their awfulness.

I give em a D because they started the year with two season ending knee injuries on guys expected to contribute

As it turned out, not the worst conference record in program history, but one of the few worst, and certainly one of the worst teams. In short, I don't know how this is anything other than a fail. They should have to repeat this grade.

How do you figure that? They ended with a .105 win%, which is lower than the previous lowest .111 win% posted. This is literally the worst season in Gopher basketball history (conference record-wise). If they ended up having to play MSU, they would have ended up with a .100 win%, but avoiding that game still wasn't enough to save them from the basement.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/minnesota/men/

After a while on last night's broadcast, I didn't want to listen to it anymore. During the game, they talked about how bad the Gophers are at ball handling, shooting, rebounding, and free throws. I might have even missed them talking about other things we're bad at. It brings up the logical question for Gopher fans and casual viewers alike: what the heck IS this team any good at? This has been an extraordinarily awful team, and they were well rounded in their awfulness.
I've asked this to myself many times. Answer is not much. Statically, they are 13th or 14th in the B1G in most categories. Add in the fact that they play a slow, plodding pace, yet still have a high amount of turnovers, and they're not even all that enjoyable to watch from a pure entertainment perspective (ignoring the wins/losses). The only thing I can say is that Henley, JOJ, and Payne each had their moments in the last 1/4 of the season to make it interesting.

The announcers clearly don't understand the effect a good butt slap can have on a game.

I've asked this to myself many times. Answer is not much. Statically, they are 13th or 14th in the B1G in most categories. Add in the fact that they play a slow, plodding pace, yet still have a high amount of turnovers, and they're not even all that enjoyable to watch from a pure entertainment perspective (ignoring the wins/losses). The only thing I can say is that Henley, JOJ, and Payne each had their moments in the last 1/4 of the season to make it interesting.
Well put.

How do you figure that? They ended with a .105 win%, which is lower than the previous lowest .111 win% posted. This is literally the worst season in Gopher basketball history (conference record-wise). If they ended up having to play MSU, they would have ended up with a .100 win%, but avoiding that game still wasn't enough to save them from the basement.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/minnesota/men/
This is in some other thread somewhere, but...
Bad conference records:
1922-23 1-11 (.083)
1926-27 1-11 (.083)
1927-28 2-10 (.167)
1928-29 1-11 (.083)
1932-33 1-11 (.083)
2021-22 4-16 (.200)
2022-23 2-17 (.105)

I include 1927-28 and 2021-22 in order to gauge whether these past couple years were the worst two-year conference record (.154), which they weren't (.125).

Interestingly, when you look at Sagarin ratings since the turn of the century, Pitino's 2015-16 team was worse than this one relative to the rest of D1 (182nd). This year's team spent some time in the 170s but is now at 147.

Last edited:

This is in some other thread somewhere, but...
Bad conference records:
1922-23 1-11 (.083)
1926-27 1-11 (.083)
1927-28 2-10 (.167)
1928-29 1-11 (.083)
2021-22 4-16 (.200)
2022-23 2-17 (.105)

I include 2021-22 in order to gauge whether these past couple years were the worst two-year conference record (.154), which they weren't (.125).

Interestingly, when you look at Sagarin ratings since the turn of the century, Pitino's 2015-16 team was worse than this one relative to the rest of D1 (182nd). This year's team spent some time in the 170s but is now at 147.
Interesting, it may be a factor of where the info is coming from. According to Sports Reference (what I linked to above), those years had different records than you indicate, all above the .105 win% of this years squad. Do you know what site those records are being pulled from?

Capture55.JPG

The records in your paste are overall records. The conference records are absent in those years on the page you linked.

I think Johnson was brought in here to recruit MN kids, and turn this into a sustainable concept. He was not expected to do this in a year or two. Fact is he has a pretty good group already for next year, osans a portal disaster. Henley and Carrington have been much better once they got acclimated, and comfortable, at this level. Carrington shows potential as a 3 point shooter which was his high school reputation. Payne will be an absolute beast next year. He plays all out, all the time. Almost ignored was the unreal effort he made getting off the floor then end to end to intercept a fast break pass Last night. Ole Joseph is solid. Add in the Illinois guard, and you have a solid base in place. That’s what Johnson was brought in to do, not got to the Dance immediately.

I think Johnson was brought in here to recruit MN kids, and turn this into a sustainable concept. He was not expected to do this in a year or two. Fact is he has a pretty good group already for next year, osans a portal disaster. Henley and Carrington have been much better once they got acclimated, and comfortable, at this level. Carrington shows potential as a 3 point shooter which was his high school reputation. Payne will be an absolute beast next year. He plays all out, all the time. Almost ignored was the unreal effort he made getting off the floor then end to end to intercept a fast break pass Last night. Ole Joseph is solid. Add in the Illinois guard, and you have a solid base in place. That’s what Johnson was brought in to do, not got to the Dance immediately.
This is the answer that nobody wants to hear and nobody has the patience for, but is accurate I believe.

Top Bottom