What grade would you give the Gophers 2020 basketball recruiting class?

What grade would you give the Gophers 2020 basketball recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 63 44.1%
  • B

Votes: 70 49.0%
  • C

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If all three of Freeman, Mitchell and Mutaf don’t get any minutes we are doing it all over again next spring...adding 6 new guys.
I agree with the 8 but that means no Curry, no Omersa as well.
If Mutaf takes Tre Williams minutes then he is in the portal discussion.
If the three question marks return and get waivers we definitely have some guys sitting who probably didn’t expect to.
Maybe we all get surprised and Richard rotates 10 guys?

Last edited:

My concern is that it is going to be another situation where the coaching staff relies too heavily on their starters and doesn't give the bench a chance to grow, unless it's a blowout. With the depth we hopefully have, assuming waivers are granted, I want to see more balance in both the starters and the bench's time-management. It will be interesting to see if unlike previous years, the bench is able to step on the court during meaningful minutes to accelerate their development.
How great is it to be concerned about playing talented starters too much, and not getting talented young bench enough minutes?!?

For awhile now I have been worried that when said bench player went in, they wouldn't get exposed too much, and that we wouldn't fall too far back, because we all knew that player was not up to scratch.

I like this concern way more!

How great is it to be concerned about playing talented starters too much, and not getting talented young bench enough minutes?!?

For awhile now I have been worried that when said bench player went in, they wouldn't get exposed too much, and that we wouldn't fall too far back, because we all knew that player was not up to scratch.

I like this concern way more!

Definitely excited about the possibilities!

If all three of Freeman, Mitchell and Mutaf don’t get any minutes we are doing it all over again next spring...adding 6 new guys.
I agree with the 8 but that means no Curry, no Omersa as well.
If Mutaf takes Tre Williams minutes then he is in the portal discussion.
If the three question marks return and get waivers we definitely have some guys sitting who probably didn’t expect to.
Maybe we all get surprised and Richard rotates 10 guys?

I think 8-9 at most. If guys choose to leave that's their choice, but hopefully the staff is having honest conversations with guys about this. Nice problem to have though

I think 8-9 at most. If guys choose to leave that's their choice, but hopefully the staff is having honest conversations with guys about this. Nice problem to have though
Depends on how good Mutaf, Mitchell, and Freeman are. If they prove they can play then we could be rotating 10 guys. Hope no one transfers but we have a very competitive team top to bottom - agree that it's a great problem to have.

Depends on how good Mutaf, Mitchell, and Freeman are. If they prove they can play then we could be rotating 10 guys. Hope no one transfers but we have a very competitive team top to bottom - agree that it's a great problem to have.

Metrics wise 10 guys doesn't work typically. Your best players should be playing 28-34 minutes. That's leaves approx 45 minutes for bench guys. Good bench guys get 15-20 minutes. Math just doesn't work to play 10 typically.

It's impossible to grade this until you know if we get the waivers.

Metrics wise 10 guys doesn't work typically. Your best players should be playing 28-34 minutes. That's leaves approx 45 minutes for bench guys. Good bench guys get 15-20 minutes. Math just doesn't work to play 10 typically.
So if Mutaf shows he can handle B1G play and is a great shooter off the bench you won't give him time because "playing 10 guys doesn't typically work"? Your way of thinking seems a little flawed to me.

So if Mutaf shows he can handle B1G play and is a great shooter off the bench you won't give him time because "playing 10 guys doesn't typically work"? Your way of thinking seems a little flawed to me.

Im saying you play the best 8 guys. It’s really hard to spread out minutes to 10 guys. If Mutaf can play, who’s minutes he taking? He has to take Gabes, Gachs, Carrs, and Mashburn minutes. That won’t be easy.

10 guys really only works in guys 4-8 are the same and 9 and 10 are subs only 4-5 minutes.

If Mutaf shows he can handle Big 10 play and provide shooting, you ramp up his minutes as he shows the ability to handle more responsibility. If he can do it, Williams probably loses playing time. If Williams also deserves minutes, you play Kalscheur/Gach a little less (though I'd be surprised if both aren't playing at least 28 minutes per game) and experiment with some small-ball lineups (which I wish they'd do anyways given that's the world of college hoops now).

If all three perimeter starters play 28 minutes per game (low-end if I'm betting), you've got 36 minutes left for Mashburn, Mutaf and Williams. My guess is the two best guys play with the third getting spot minutes when foul trouble arises or in special situations (6 minutes or so).

If mutaf can play and has a great season hes obviously gonna take minutes away from someone!

Maybe too hopeful but Mutaf looks like a Bronson Koenig clone.

Top Bottom