What grade would you give the 2022-2023 Gopher Women's Basketball season?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • C

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • D

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • F

Votes: 14 30.4%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

C- because it was virtually, well literally a brand new team from just about scratch. Because of the losing conference record and up and down season, I think best grade you can give is a c-.

C- because it was virtually, well literally a brand new team from just about scratch. Because of the losing conference record and up and down season, I think best grade you can give is a c-.
Why is it a “brand new team”? Because the best players no longer stick around an obvious dumpster fire.

It's a D instead of an F because we have some promsing freshmen; but 4-14 in conference and a tournament loss to Penn State at Target Center pushes the grade close to a D-.

In the early season polls I gave the program a C grade. I was too optimistic; we made an unfortunate step backwards since.

And I'll add, we are a young team by choice.

Turnovers were killer this year. Young team or not you have to take care of the ball. Getting a transfer in Sophie Hart should help the Gophers inside but they have to all make strides from year 1 to year 2 if they want to improve.

It's a D instead of an F because we have some promsing freshmen; but 4-14 in conference and a tournament loss to Penn State at Target Center pushes the grade close to a D-.

In the early season polls I gave the program a C grade. I was too optimistic; we made an unfortunate step backwards since.

+o4 all around.

Chemistry A
Bench A (from subs, to walk ons, to injuries they always seemed into it)
Player by in A (I really felt for the first time in Whalens career she had the whole teams respect)
Close games C (A lot of frustrating close games, however won some too)
Consistency D (would play a great game and then follow it with a not great performance)

I feel people had unrealistic expectations. So I have them multiple grades.

I went F. We are 4-14 and didn't even make it out of weakling Wednesday. Struggle to see how that is a passing grade on any standard.

I went C but agree C- is more accurate. The team played hard and you can tell they are much more bought in/mature than the “star players” of years past were, despite being younger. It’s more enjoyable to watch a team that looks like they want to be there!

With that being said, I’m not a moral victory person. The turnovers were maddening all year long - definitely a baptism by fire for the freshmen. This summer will be huge for them developmentally.

Overall, I’m excited to see Year 2 of this team.

I gave it a C because I saw a change in the culture. The young players were holding themselves accountable, acknowledging game plans and where they weren't executing and how they'd work to get better. And consistent effort ('never giving up'). That attitude wasn't there with our past teams. A change in culture will help attract talent (culture + winning will attract top talent on a regular basis). But talent alone doesn't change the culture and will be short lived if it becomes toxic. I hope Lindsay notes this and has an honest conversation with herself about how she needs to improve and puts in the time to further develop her coaching.

I went C but agree C- is more accurate. The team played hard and you can tell they are much more bought in/mature than the “star players” of years past were, despite being younger. It’s more enjoyable to watch a team that looks like they want to be there!

With that being said, I’m not a moral victory person. The turnovers were maddening all year long - definitely a baptism by fire for the freshmen. This summer will be huge for them developmentally.

Overall, I’m excited to see Year 2 of this team.
I had this same assessment because with the exception of the Indiana game, I thought the team played really hard. They bought into each other despite being on the younger side and the players showed great enthusiasm for the game and team. Sad to hear of today's news.

I gave a D too but could have considered a C- only because player chemistry and support seemed better and players seemed to take coaching better. I think next year is a B1G one for Whay like it was for Pitino in his 6th.

Disappointed she didn't get another year unless she didn't want another year. I don't think that was the case though. I liked this years freshman class and next years class coming in. Hope it works out for everyone.

Top Bottom