What grade would you give Mitch Leidner in his first BT start?

What grade would you give Leidner?

• A

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • B

Votes: 58 56.9%
  • C

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

It depends on how the question is asked:

Given that he's a redshirt freshman making the first road start of his career at the Big House in front of 100,000+ on national TV, I'd give him a B+/A-.

Otherwise, I'd give him a C+/B-.

Personally I love the Gophers QB situation; this is the position I think Kill has upgraded the most. We have two Big Ten capable starters at the most important position on a team.

Oh yes, now we have arrived at the Promised Land...

Compared to Nelson Leidner played an A++++++ game.

I would say that those of you who have choosen sides and have your favorite contestant in the "quarterback controversy sweepstakes..." have got this thing ALL WRONG. Leidner plays the best when he is option ONE to run in the read/run scheme of things. He throws best on the run. He does a very nice job of running the ball and he delivers a nice hard hit at the end of his runs. But, he takes one HECK of a lot of punishment when he has to pay the price that any and every running quarterback has to pay. Those plays to Williams were things of beauty and were very effective.

But, he did have to come out for a play. He's a tough kid. He was able to go back into the game...this time. But, how about the next mega hit he takes? And the next...and the next? And, when it was drop back in the pocket and pass to catch up and throw the ball waaaaaayyyyyyy down field, I fear a lot of work is needed.

The other half of our qb controversy derby has much work to do yet too. They BOTH do. But, we WILL NEED both of these lads. They are going to take a pounding out there. Fortunately, Leidner was able to go and keep going yesterday. Nelson wasn't as fortunate a few games ago. BUT, there will be times when one or the other of them will be out of commission for a game...or two. And the OTHER will be called upon to drive this thing on home...with one headlight sometimes.

It is an offense that beats it's quarterbacks up when it is really rolling. So far, it is not an offense predicated upon pocket, downfield passing. It may evolve into that, but it is a LONG ways away from that.

I am proud of both our young quarterbacks and am VERY glad we have TWO ready to go. I root for both equally and if one is down...I wish for his speedy recovery AND I wish for the very best for the young man playing. Because we WILL need....we do need BOTH Leidner and Nelson to do well and to BE well.

I would say that those of you who have choosen sides and have your favorite contestant in the "quarterback controversy sweepstakes..." have got this thing ALL WRONG. Leidner plays the best when he is option ONE to run in the read/run scheme of things. He throws best on the run. He does a very nice job of running the ball and he delivers a nice hard hit at the end of his runs. But, he takes one HECK of a lot of punishment when he has to pay the price that any and every running quarterback has to pay. Those plays to Williams were things of beauty and were very effective. But, he did have to come out for a play. He's a tough kid. He was able to go back into the game...this time. But, how about the next mega hit he takes? And the next...and the next? And, when it was drop back in the pocket and pass to catch up and throw the ball waaaaaayyyyyyy down field, I fear a lot of work is needed. The other half of our qb controversy derby has much work to do yet too. They BOTH do. But, we WILL NEED both of these lads. They are going to take a pounding out there. Fortunately, Leidner was able to go and keep going yesterday. Nelson wasn't as fortunate a few games ago. BUT, there will be times when one or the other of them will be out of commission for a game...or two. And the OTHER will be called upon to drive this thing on home...with one headlight sometimes. It is an offense that beats it's quarterbacks up when it is really rolling. So far, it is not an offense predicated upon pocket, downfield passing. It may evolve into that, but it is a LONG ways away from that. I am proud of both our young quarterbacks and am VERY glad we have TWO ready to go. I root for both equally and if one is down...I wish for his speedy recovery AND I wish for the very best for the young man playing. Because we WILL need....we do need BOTH Leidner and Nelson to do well and to BE well.

Wow. A post where I agree with pretty much everything you said. Scary. :)

I'd say solid B. The pick six came when the game was well out of hand, so while he that's not excused, I'm putting it over on the S/N side of the report card.

I really like Leidner's mechanics. Something about his throwing motion that I like better than Nelson's.

PS--Another aspect of the passing game I liked yesterday was the appearance of Jones and Wolitarsky to a greater extent. Jones is a big kid with some wheels and Wolitarsky is a big kid who looks like he can command the ball over the middle.

B-.

Turnovers were bad, but clearly better than Nelson.

And it wasn't just because he had the chance to keep going. Much more decisive than Nelson and throws a better ball. We'd be 1-1 in the B1G with him.

Top Bottom