What grade would you give Keegan Cook in first season as Gopher coach?

• A

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • B

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • C

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • D

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • F

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

It really was a disappointing season. Landfair seemed to regress, Wurcherer only hit into the block, and Shaff only set the pins.

I think Cook is probably a good coach but this season was NOT IT. Looking forward to seeing what next season brings.

It really was a disappointing season. Landfair seemed to regress, Wurcherer only hit into the block, and Shaff only set the pins.

I think Cook is probably a good coach but this season was NOT IT. Looking forward to seeing what next season brings.
And you would think a Coaching Staff, especially the HC, would take some responsibility for the performance of certain players. If there are no injuries, fans want to see players happy with their performance and, if not, certainly IMPROVE THROUGHOUT THE SEASON.

The decision to play Landfair and Wucherer backrow is ... inexcusable.

If we somehow get the same thing next year, and the same results ... I want him fired.

The decision to play Landfair and Wucherer backrow is ... inexcusable.

If we somehow get the same thing next year, and the same results ... I want him fired.
What happened to Grote today? I would like to see Crowl utilized more as lefty provides more problems for opponents. Hopefully they develop Minatee as a slide option next year.

Does anyone have any thoughts on who they think will enter the transfer portal?

I went with C, and I felt like i was being generous. This was a disappointing year by our standards. It felt like all year (including against Creighton), we were really susceptible to being caught in a bad rotation where the other team was able to rattle off a bunch of points in a row. Disappointing he didn't figure out how to address that during the season.

@MNMaroonMom I have no idea on the actual answer, but I hope Schaffmaster and Landfair both leave.

I'm done with both.

Schaff has all the tools in the world ......... except mobility and setting. Her set placement was off all night. I know passes weren't always there, but time and again we see the opposing team's setter just playing better on similar passes.

Landfair ..... just woof. Have never seen someone who looks so lazy, slow, and doesn't even look like she tries hard or gives a S, on the court. When she's hot, she's hot. But this year, perhaps with the added mental strain of playing defense .... whatever it is .... when she's cold, she's frozen solid and she costs this team more than she helps.

The lazy barely effort little flips at the ball that barely get above the net and get roofed straight down, are maddening.

@MNMaroonMom I have no idea on the actual answer, but I hope Schaffmaster and Landfair both leave.

I'm done with both.

Schaff has all the tools in the world ......... except mobility and setting. Her set placement was off all night. I know passes weren't always there, but time and again we see the opposing team's setter just playing better on similar passes.

Landfair ..... just woof. Have never seen someone who looks so lazy, slow, and doesn't even look like she tries hard or gives a S, on the court. When she's hot, she's hot. But this year, perhaps with the added mental strain of playing defense .... whatever it is .... when she's cold, she's frozen solid and she costs this team more than she helps.

The lazy barely effort little flips at the ball that barely get above the net and get roofed straight down, are maddening.
I mean right? How was she First Team Big Ten? (was it based on last year and reputation?)

I would give Cook a C. I give him a big kudos for recruiting Grote and not losing Murr. However, he had enough good players who came back to have better results. He probably didn't develop some players well and didn't know how to use the talent that he had.

In hindsight, now that I've had time to digest the entire season, I think some people had too high of expectations for this season.

The Gophers went from a tied for 3rd finish in 2022 to a 5th place Big Ten finish in 2023. A 2022 Sweet 16 loss to a 2023 second round loss. The subtraction of McGraw, Kilkelly, Wenaas, and Booth (and de-commitment of Choboy) and the addition of Murr, Grote, Awoleye, Palabiyik, Minatee and Schnichels (redshirted?) turned out to be a net loss.

The only real gain statistically within this group was Grote's offensive production over Wenaas's.

The Gophers lost their entire back row from last year with the exception of Landfair playing six rotations. For as much as some people complained about our passing last year (and I admit I voiced frustration, too), I'd be willing to bet that the volleymetric passing numbers will show that the collective group of Murr/Palabiyik/Wucherer/Landfair passed notably worse than McGraw/Kilkelly/Wenaas/Landfair. Worth noting - last year, Wenaas had 19 receive errors compared to Wucherer's 49 this year - with Wenaas having had more receive attempts as well. (Anyone want to scavange Volleytalk for all the passing numbers? I'm sure they are on there. Thanks! :LOL: )

And to no surprise, Awoleye couldn't match Booth's production. She did come respectably close in blocks per set, though.

So the Gophers lost 3 experienced back row players - where passing is so critical, a talented middle with great potential, a de-commit from a 5-star recruit L/DS, had to try to plug holes with transfers....and they were supposed to match last year or be better even?

Sort of feels like the results this year shouldn't be any great surprise. Let's see what Cook can do this upcoming year. Let's see who else he brings in. I'm not ready to call him a bust.

Grote needed to be replaced against Creighton. They quit setting her so the competition knew where the ball was going. The coach owns that decision. D

Top Bottom