What grade would you give Gophers Conor Rhoda in his first career start?

What grade would you give Gophers Conor Rhoda in his first career start?

• A

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • B

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • C

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • D

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would give Johnson and Claeys F's. They showed no faith in him and made him throw when he had to (for the most part). Murray Warmath played not to lose as did Mason, Brewster and Kill. Now we have Claeys with the ultra conservative style. Open it up. Pass on first down. And Claaeys, do something about these stupid penalties. Woz should have been pulled. There is ZERO excuse for going offsides
I believe that is the approach they took against Iowa last week and they lost. They did the right thing by running the ball today. I'd give Johnson and Claeys solid B's for today.

Not sure it's fair to grade a 5th year senior, 4th year starter on the same scale as a former walk-on with his first start.

Sure - I'm just saying that today was not a "B" performance from our QB. I'm delighted with the win and thought CR15 did just fine under the circumstances, but I'm not going to get carried away and pretend it was anything better than eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure - I'm just saying that today was not a "B" performance from our QB. I'm delighted with the win and thought CR15 did just fine under the circumstances, but I'm not going to get carried away and pretend it was anything better than eh.

Right, he didn't do anything spectacular. I thought he made pretty good decisions for the most part, was able to complete some key passes, and had 0 turnovers. To get that out of Rhoda is pretty good, as it could have been way worse.

Obviously the bar should be set higher for Mitch.

Big Ten conference ROAD win. Period.

Hard to ask for much more than that. And I'm sorry, ZERO turnovers in your first career start, on the road, is a considerable achievement. The other guy coughed it up twice in his first career start, but he was at home and he's played in every game this season if I'm not mistaken.

Great job Conor!!!

Ogee,

Agreed. Maryland was 6.5 point favorites as of yesterday. This morning Maryland was a 4-1 team. We went on the road to Byrd Stadium and Conor Rhoda engineered a 31-10 victory for us. He did not make any first game jitters mistakes, he did not try to play beyond his abilities. He did what was necessary to provide us a victory against the Terrapins, our first victory against them. What more could you want from a backup quarterback? No matter what our Golden Gophers do it will never be good enough for the StarTribune sports writer staff, or the army of people who post negative crap about Minnesota football as comments to StarTribune articles. I give Conor an A. Others can give him Cs, Ds, or Fs. I don't care, I am proud of what our entire football team and coaching staff delivered to us Golden Gopher faithful today. I choose to enjoy the victory and look forward to what I believe will be our first game against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, a team that started it all in 1869. Phooey on everybody who has been calling for Tracy Claeys head.

Right, he didn't do anything spectacular. I thought he made pretty good decisions for the most part, was able to complete some key passes, and had 0 turnovers. To get that out of Rhoda is pretty good, as it could have been way worse.

Obviously the bar should be set higher for Mitch.

Now this is a Minnesotan (I am in full agreement BTW). Could be worse.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vm-MrkoJPC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I gave him a C based on the question the poll asked. He didn't lose the game for us, but the win had little to do with his passing or running. I get it that this was his first start, but he is a RS Junior not a Freshman. He wasn't intercepted and he managed to recover his own fumble, but 8 of 15 for 82 yards cannot be considered above average. This was a great team win and if the question was how happy are you that the Gophers won? I would have given it an A.

I gave him a B+. He is a solid walk-on backup who is a consummate team player playing his first game on the road. He played with poise to lead the team to a lop-sided victory.

He stuck with the Gophers while Jacques Perra decides to transfer to Saint Thomas. Does anyone know if he is the starting QB?

I gave him a B+. He is a solid walk-on backup who is a consummate team player playing his first game on the road. He played with poise to lead the team to a lop-sided victory.

He stuck with the Gophers while Jacques Perra decides to transfer to Saint Thomas. Does anyone know if he is the starting QB?

He's the backup.

For those saying "no turnovers", Maryland dropped two fairly easy interceptions. He was bad, I'd give him a D.

We also dropped at least 2 potential interceptions; that's part of the game. He had no turnovers.

If Leidner has this game it's a D-

Yes, and Leidner is a four year starter, Rhoda just started his first game and it was on the road. Surely you don't think they should be graded on the same level?

Yes, and Leidner is a four year starter, Rhoda just started his first game and it was on the road. Surely you don't think they should be graded on the same level?

Maybe not- but then again if I'm a junior taking an upper level physics class because I'm minoring in physics- and there are some seniors in the class who are majoring in physics do I get graded differently than them?
Leidner is a three year starter btw

He deserves an A. 1st game played in four years and we won.

Maybe not- but then again if I'm a junior taking an upper level physics class because I'm minoring in physics- and there are some seniors in the class who are majoring in physics do I get graded differently than them?
Leidner is a three year starter btw

If you are trying to make the point that Leidner is the better QB right now, I fully agree with that. The vast majority on GH do.

I give him a C. He just wasn't tested much and did alright. Missed some guys (one super wide open) and had a couple ints (one was a sure pick 6) that he got lucky didn't happen.

He should be proud for being his first full game. Not tested much but he did his job.

I was at the game and gave him a solid D. He had tons of time in the pocket and was not very accurate at all. Maryland stacked the box and gave him no credit at all for passing or running it himself. Do any of you really think Croft wouldn't be a better choice if Claeys didn't want to red-shirt him? Had Leidner been available, Gophers would have come close to scoring 40+. Maryland just is not that good and remember that the Gophers are two or three plays from being 6-0.

For me he gets a C. He didn't play great but he also didn't make any terrible mistakes that cost the team either.

Don't think his performance will ignite any sort of QB controversy but at least he looked serviceable under center.

If I grade him knowing that he's a former walk-on making his first B1G start on the road, I would give him a C+/B-.

If I grade him based on expectations for what a B1G QB should be able to do, he gets a D.

Soooo, let's see...

Back in the day, folks would bash the he!l out of Weber when he moved the ball, put up points, but dammit he lost games.

Rhoda comes in and wins, on the Road in the Big Ten, but it wasn't pretty enough... Okey dokey...

In the last 6 years, respectively, the Rodents have won Big Ten road games once, twice, twice, once, zero, once.

The man came in and did his job exactly as he was asked to do, and at a time when the Gophers' season was at a critical turning point; going 0-3 to start the conference slate would have been devastating.

C. Glad he didn't turn it over but is clearly not a great option moving forward, IMO.

...and you are not giving up on this. My bad for being hopeful. He more or less executed the game plan coaches put together. Great confidence builder. Can't wait for Saturday...

...and you are not giving up on this. My bad for being hopeful. He more or less executed the game plan coaches put together. Great confidence builder. Can't wait for Saturday...

Huh? My post said nothing about Croft vs Rhoda. I simply don't think Rhoda looks like a good long term solution. Sounds like you do. OK.

What would a Gopher QB have to do to win universal praise from the fans?

400yds passing - 7 TD's - 2 or 3 rushing TD's & 100 yds rushing?

My answer - not possible! there is nothing a Gopher QB can do to win universal praise from
the fans. All gopher QB's are failures. We must repeat their flaws incessantly, and never
praise them - because the only way a Gopher QB can succeed is for the other team to be
lousy.

Gopher Fans hate all QB's. We would be happier playing the single wing - or going wildcat the entire
game with direct snaps to the RB's - because RB's are always good, pure, noble and virtuous. Gopher
RB's always play well, and are never the reason for a loss.

Soooo, let's see...

Back in the day, folks would bash the he!l out of Weber when he moved the ball, put up points, but dammit he lost games.

Rhoda comes in and wins, on the Road in the Big Ten, but it wasn't pretty enough... Okey dokey...

In the last 6 years, respectively, the Rodents have won Big Ten road games once, twice, twice, once, zero, once.

The man came in and did his job exactly as he was asked to do, and at a time when the Gophers' season was at a critical turning point; going 0-3 to start the conference slate would have been devastating.

So after Rhoda goes 7 for 14 and 67 yards next week and moves to 2-0 on the road as a starter, you would give him a spot on the ring of honor? Hardly.

My answer - not possible! there is nothing a Gopher QB can do to win universal praise from
the fans. All gopher QB's are failures. We must repeat their flaws incessantly, and never
praise them - because the only way a Gopher QB can succeed is for the other team to be
lousy.

Gopher Fans hate all QB's. We would be happier playing the single wing - or going wildcat the entire
game with direct snaps to the RB's - because RB's are always good, pure, noble and virtuous. Gopher

Who's bashing Rhoda? What is unfair about the vast majority saying he did ok but wasn't anything spectacular? Looks like most are giving him credit for coming in, managing the game, and not making a ton of mistakes. He also didn't play all that well overall either, under 50% completion, less than 100 yards, couple dangerous throws, very little escabaility.

Given the competition, Rhoda got the job done. But can you honestly say that you want to see Rhoda under center when we play Nebraska or Wisconsin?

I will say though that I totally agree that the QB bashing here in general is way over the top a lot of the time. The hatred directed at Mitch or Weber or whoever is under center is typically far harsher then it should be after a lot of games.

Sometimes it feels like fans think we should be getting elite level QB play from guys that never profiled as having elite talent to begin with.

lousy.

Are you saying Rhoda should have earned universal praise?

He did a good job.

Most of the argument seems to be about if you should or are using a sliding scale or not.

Huh? My post said nothing about Croft vs Rhoda. I simply don't think Rhoda looks like a good long term solution. Sounds like you do. OK.

Oh please, the post is all about that. Moving forward is much different than long-term. I like how you slowly massage your posts...

So after Rhoda goes 7 for 14 and 67 yards next week and moves to 2-0 on the road as a starter, you would give him a spot on the ring of honor? Hardly.

That wasn't his point. If he wins Saturday and wins the next week on the road to go 3-0 at starter, ugly or not, he deserves praise.

Why is Rhoda getting so much credit for the win in this thread? Teams can win games despite the play of their quarterback, which is exactly what the Gophers did. He played poorly.

Top Bottom