What grade would you give Gophers coaching in loss to UNC?

What grade would you give Gophers coaching in loss to UNC?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • C

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • D

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • F

Votes: 47 31.8%

• Total voters
Coaching can only go so far, it's the players that have to execute it.

This.

2 huge errors were made in my opinion,

1) the 6 player substitution on defense that led to the wide open. Touchdown. Our staff has to realize that they did not change players so they can snap the ball whenever they want. That is 100% on the staff.

2) our third down defensive cushions were huge. If you're going to give up that much space, you better blitz. If you are going to give up that much space and not blitz, they are going to run a route to get 8 to 10 yards for a first down and our defensive backs are still back pedaling. Too much time in the pocket.

Outside of that, I thought the coaching staff called great plays, it was the player that did not execute. Our wide receivers had hands of stone. On defense, our safety, number 7, got torched all game long. Number 12 loves to get cocky after he makes a good play, but he got juked five or six times on third downs where because of that, North Carolina converted a bunch of third and tens.

On defense, our rush ends got too deep and simply allowed maye to step up and buy two or three more seconds. You can't give up contain like that. That's on the players.

I think we will see a pretty good team take the field against the wildcats next week. Practices might not be fun for some of the players.

can't give better than a d

C-

After a slow start I thought the Gophers rebounded nicely in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Despite not being able to complete a pass, they were driving to potentially tie the game with under 3 min left in the 3rd quarter until the ridiculous pick in the endzone.

If AK completes more passes, the Gophers likely beat a top 20 team on the road.

As deflating as that UNC game was -- imagine if they won and could have -- and my critical view of that, without PJ Fleck the trajectory of the program is probably downward. Well maybe I can't say that but I do think he has the program up to the top potential level season after season. Remember the Jim G Wacked years, G for got.

did he mention him not letting them make plays on the field punting down 2 scores midway through the 4th? there was really nothing that was up to snuff today aside from Kesich.
Kesich has been really good. I think he's a NFL prospect at kicker. Big leg and lots of talent.

Will be fun to watch him as our kicker the next couple seasons and hope he stays accurate.

Kesich has been really good. I think he's a NFL prospect at kicker. Big leg and lots of talent.

Will be fun to watch him as our kicker the next couple seasons and hope he stays accurate.
I agree fully. He also seems to have the mentality for it, which is a massive component

Top Bottom