What grade would you give Gophers coaching in loss to UNC?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • C

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • D

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • F

Votes: 47 31.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

F and it’s not even close to passing

Head coach: gave up early. Atrocious call to punt it in the 2nd half. Just my god for bad

OC: nothing much can be put into words. Odd subs, getting away from the run in weird spots, red zone woes. Change your best or find a new job

DC: tough first half from Rossi. Players made some plays but that scheme felt lacking

Cumulative: F-. I wish I could grade them lower

Graded on a curve and gave a C.

My comment coming in was "must score points."

I hate being correct.

I am really struggling to believe we made the right call with Simon and Harbaugh as co-OC. I really thought it was a home run hire, but right now I am not convinced. I don't believe we have an identity on O and it shows. How do you have 1 of the best TE in college football and not use him consistently? Not sure we are taking advantage of what we do well. Really struggling right now with how bad our O is.

PJ sucks at calling time-outs and needs to change his best. He hates this criticism about timoeout's but it is the truth. Flecks use of time outs Is an abomination. What good are they if you do not manage them well?

Listening to PJ's post-game show. Players still have to make plays. They did - we didn't. AK went 11/29 with many drops and little accuracy. That's not coaching guys. There have been times when PJ has said "thats on me" and it was a complete cop out answer. Today, he was a lot more realistic - left plays on the field and that they would have to get better. He was right based on today.

Execution on offense was atrocious. They better get it figured out fast with one of the toughest schedules in the country. Should have hired an OC with experience

Offense is hideous, play calls totally suck, there is zero momentum on offense. Not sure if our receivers are bad or if the routes they run and the plays called are total shit. No separation.

F

Listening to PJ's post-game show. Players still have to make plays. They did - we didn't. AK went 11/29 with many drops and little accuracy. That's not coaching guys. There have been times when PJ has said "thats on me" and it was a complete cop out answer. Today, he was a lot more realistic - left plays on the field and that they would have to get better. He was right based on today.
did he mention him not letting them make plays on the field punting down 2 scores midway through the 4th? there was really nothing that was up to snuff today aside from Kesich.

Offense is hideous, play calls totally suck, there is zero momentum on offense. Not sure if our receivers are bad or if the routes they run and the plays called are total shit. No separation.

F
this. he's calling nfl routes way too frequently (throwing all the way across the field to deep hash/outs, deep comebacks, 12 yard hitches). watch uncs offense. you can rely on DBs not being as tight frequently. you don't need to call plays like your qb has to throw a guy open all day

F's all the way around.

Offense obviously.

But the defense was completely unprepared for UNC's offense. Completely unprepared. It's like they never dreamed UNC might go uptempo. Easily Rossi's worst game as DC.

I went with C. It wasn’t pretty, but the more thing change, the more they stay the same. We look like we did last year (Good at RB, Weak at WR (😳), limited at QB).

Offense and Defense seemed to keep doing the wrong thing. Only the Special Teams had a decent game. Though we've been told that was impossible.

We didn't seem to have an identity on offense and we don't seem to know how subbing works on defense. I waffles between D and F but went F.

I am really struggling to believe we made the right call with Simon and Harbaugh as co-OC. I really thought it was a home run hire, but right now I am not convinced. I don't believe we have an identity on O and it shows. How do you have 1 of the best TE in college football and not use him consistently? Not sure we are taking advantage of what we do well. Really struggling right now with how bad our O is.
we didnt make the right call. horriable mother fing decsion once again. get a fricking legit OC. F

F and it’s not even close to passing

Head coach: gave up early. Atrocious call to punt it in the 2nd half. Just my god for bad

OC: nothing much can be put into words. Odd subs, getting away from the run in weird spots, red zone woes. Change your best or find a new job

DC: tough first half from Rossi. Players made some plays but that scheme felt lacking

Cumulative: F-. I wish I could grade them lower
On D, the scheme was to make Maye beat them by taking away the run.

NC relied heavily on the run in first two games. We shut down the run and Maye beat us.

A couple of big plays on D in the first half kept it closer than it was.

It was a weird strategy given the strength of our D (not as good as the top 10 ranking, but our strength by far the past several years) and the QB is Maye, one of the top passing QBs in all of college football, but we pulled it off for a half.

Coaching is the problem on O. We showed in final drive of half, and to a better extent first drive of second half which was more based on a mix of the run and passing keeping the D off balance. Then we went away from it. Offense can't show up for two drives and expect to beat many teams.

The problem with the TE is that he is currently very inconsistent. His play looks like a guy that has been reading the headlines and forgot he actually has to show it on the field.

The problem with the TE is that he is currently very inconsistent. His play looks like a guy that has been reading the headlines and forgot he actually has to show it on the field.
Yes and no, two throws clearly behind him today. He is for sure being underutilized.

They punted with a few yards to go on 4th when they had to score.

I would have switched to run the ball 2 out of 3 plays. Instead they stayed with a collapsed passing game. Geez, they were running the ball well.

Did they actually not see what was going on in the game? Stink-a-roo passing and could have given the ball to Darius Taylor again and again. But no.

Zero game adjustments.

I don't recall ever seeing a game that could have been won so badly marred by no adjusting to what was going on.

PJ and staff could learn a thing or two of not showing or telgraphing tendancies and use element of surprise like Mack Brown. Execute tempos or plays that other team is not expecting. You know if your going to constantly run the crossing receiver in motion how about flip him the ball and pitch it to the back on misdirection or actually flip to jet motion . Do something different than just fake the dumb jet motion? So dumb to keep running the same fakes or play action without breaking a tendency. You know actually learn from your mistakes or bad calls. PJ likes to prove he really is this damn stubborn to show same tendancy's. AK is allowed to have a bad game, kid's got some talent but he needs to stop trying to play hero ball on every throw. He needs to start trusting what he is seeing and progress, don't just stare at 1 guy.

Last edited:

PJ and staff are stubborn and don't change there best at times. Make an effort to disguise coverages or RPO plays with more than 1 option.

Top Bottom