What grade would you give Gophers coaches in win over UCLA?

What grade would you give Gophers coaches in win over UCLA?

• A

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • B

Votes: 94 67.1%
  • C

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • D

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
I'd like to think so too, but there is the Curse of Bert that PJ has got to break. This year's Illinois team is better than last year's ... and Bert (or PJ) found a way to put yet another W in the Illinois column last year. If the Gophs win the next three games, meaning they are eligible for a decent bowl AND have broken the Curse of Bert, I'll be happy about how the season has gone ... even though we left the Jug in Ann Arbor with a very beatable Michigan team. Icing on the cake would be bringing home the Axe. But with the way WI is playing now, offense (esp. running game) really cooking, that might be too much to wish for. Go Gophers!
“…You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch…” :0(

Bert’s defense is looking a bit “…softer…flabbier…possibly even more Arkansas-like after their encounter with that boilermaker on intensive care offense run amuck against Bert’s best Barry Alvarez hand me down defense. It was like a shoot-out between “…air Wacker’s Chris Darkins led Gopher team vs Mike Alstot’s Boilermaker earth moving company back in the day. So much for run the ball and stop the run coming out of Champaign this season.

Each day is a new beginning Gophergrandpa.

Maybe there is no chance for the 2024 Gopher. But, I say: SHOW UP and play the damn game. Show up for the bye Gopher. One bye at a time.

Then, when the bye is “… bye bye…” the next game will happen.

Who knows what will happen to Maryland, Illinois or Rutgers, PSU or Wisconsin during the Gopher bye. Injuries? Coming of age offenses? Suddenly happening greatness?

We are in mid-October and November is drawing near. Hearts can be broken, dreams can come true OR the status quo can prevail in B1G play

Beat the stinking bye, Gopher!

Last edited:

I gave the coaching staff an A. The team and the coaches refused to lose.

Brilliant move of the game: the punt late in the game putting the game in the hands of the defense. The defense leads the way and sets the tempo for this Gopher team. From the second half in the Big House up until the end of the game last night, the Gopher has come to life and has won 2 B1G games and lost 1 B1G game during a stretch when the “smart gamblers …”would have told the world the Gopher Team would have at best gone 1 win and 2 losses.

The coaches made some great adjustments! All credit goes to the players, but in my final analysis, field position during the final 3 1/2 minutes was everything last night.

Gopher team needed 7 to win and 3 to tie. They needed to be in possession with 2 minutes to go from mid field to either tie or win. They had a 3rd and long Or they could use a punt and good use of time outs to get the ball back around mid-field to either tie or win by the 2 minute warning mark. The defense was playing better than the offense all game long. The punt gave the Gopher the best chance to win or tie and send the game into OT.

Wins do Not need to be pretty. Especially, B1G wins!

Coaches get theA for the call and win. Players get An A for executing and the win!
Big Ten wins, Wayne! Coaches A. Players a minus. Great adjustments.

B.

And we won.

On the road.

After a huge win.

With Koi to boot.

Still a B for a very poor first half. Reality sucks.

Enjoy the bye in the meantime and beat the Terps when they come to town. Ski U Mah!

B.

And we won.

On the road.

After a huge win.

With Koi to boot.

Still a B for a very poor first half. Reality sucks.

Enjoy the bye in the meantime and beat the Terps when they come to town. Ski U Mah!
A B1G win tops any and every other freaking consideration or “style” points that may make you personally feel “picky” about imho BuildGopher

My personal preference is to only give credence to the concept that
reality sucking ONLY pertains to the FINAL score…The “W” in the record book never sucks. Now, BuildGopher, the “L” in the record book always sucks and is chiseled in stone for all time. No where in the record book is the first half even mentioned.

The Illini had a huge lead ( 26-3 ?) over Purdue in the first half of their game. Illinois ended up winning 50-49. How about that Illini defense in that first half? Or, was it that amazing Purdue offense in the second half that mattered?

I say that the only thing that really mattered was the team that got the
“W” was the “BIG DEAL…”

;0)

Last edited:

A B1G win tops any and every other freaking consideration or “style” points that may make you personally feel “picky” about imho BuildGopher

My personal preference is to only give credence to the concept that
Reality sucking ONLY pertains to the FINAL score…The “W” in the record book never sucks. Now, BuildGopher, the “L” in the record book always sucks and is chiseled in stone for all time.

;0)
Letter grades don't make much sense, in my opinion. Every week is Pass (W) or Fail (L).

Do. Or, Do Not.

The punt worked because they pinned them inside the 5 yd line. Give up a touchback there, UCLA can be a little more zealous getting a 1st down early in the series. Plus the favorable field position when the Gophers got the ball back probably was the difference in getting the go ahead TD vs a game tying FG attempt.
Whatever decision the coach makes, he's trusting someone. He trusted the punt team to execute and the defense to get a quick stop. If he goes for it on fourth, he's trusting the offense to convert. His job is to evaluate the scenarios, and decide who he's going to trust and what hill he's willing to risk dying on. That it worked shows he chose correctly.

Letter grades don't make much sense, in my opinion. Every week is Pass (W) or Fail (L).

Do. Or, Do Not.

Whatever decision the coach makes, he's trusting someone. He trusted the punt team to execute and the defense to get a quick stop. If he goes for it on fourth, he's trusting the offense to convert. His job is to evaluate the scenarios, and decide who he's going to trust and what hill he's willing to risk dying on. That it worked shows he chose correctly.
Outstanding posts Thanks bleedsmaroonandgold and Ope3!

Top Bottom