What grade would you give Gophers coaches in bowl win over Syracuse?

• A

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • B

Votes: 55 51.9%
  • C

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Win or lose, unless the game is an embarrassment bowl grade is an A in this era. There are so many variables

B.
They started as an A. Docked points for the last 2 min of first half. Overall well done.

A. Thought about voting B, but even with the terrible turf, losing QB #1, JMS deciding to not play, and multiple players getting hurt, the coaches adapted and gave the players a chance to win.

C. For conservative play calling.
Would have rated PJ higher had he pulled his team off for a unplayable field. Why endanger young men's future by subjecting them to play on that type of field. Schmidt probably looked at the field and opted out. Abraham didn't play the 2nd half probably for the same reason.

B.
They started as an A. Docked points for the last 2 min of first half. Overall well done.
My thoughts exactly. Until the pick 6, felt like the decisions at the end of the half had the potential to snowball out of control. That said, tough to go worse than a B to a staff that had a gameplan ready to beat another bowl eligible P5 team in a bowl game.

Two big plays allowed us win. We won a meaningless game, poorly. The injuries didn't appear to be serious. About all you can say positively about the game.

A grade above C, does not reflect the pitiful performance in the second half. 62 yards of offense in the second half for the Gophers to Syracuse 287 yards. For a team that is supposed to be a running team, we couldn't get the running game going against a terrible Syracuse team. This game was far closer than it should have been, and without a gift interception, this board would be melting down.

We won. We won ugly. Nothing to apologize for, but nothing to be proud of, either. Nothing that indicates this coaching staff is changing their best as our head slogan maker is wont to say.

I thought that was a well coached game. Got the lead, waited for Syracuse to make mistakes, capitalized on those mistakes, didn't make any of their own, and killed the clock as quickly as possible.

Syracuse might have been able to move the ball, but they weren't scoring. Minnesota might have called a conservative offense, but they didn't surrender field position or points. Special teams had a great day.

That was what a well-coached victory looks like. Also got some style points for getting those last few records for Mo.

On Syracuse's second-to-last drive I was just sitting there getting quietly more confident as the defense made them throw short passes and their QB kept taking off because coverage was so good. They drove 50 yards but burned 5 minutes of game clock doing it.

Last edited:

Gophers held to 77 yards rushing, 2.3 yard average. Not good, as they threw only 7 passes in the second half. Fleck's habit of playing scared with a lead almost cost them the game. Play-calling on rushing very dull, but Athan showed promise for a more interesting offense next year.

B. The typical in game stuff, but the team was prepared and played hard. PJ seems to always get his team up for bowl games, no matter the level.

Loved the fake reverse on the kick return.

Loved the initial play calling with AK.

Loved the switch to man to man pass coverage.

Loved the game plan to get Mo all the records then make sure he was not coming back in so he he couldn't get injured and ruin his draft stock.

Hated the fact we tried using Potts so much. We needed to go between the tackles not outside the tackles. Why did we not play Evans at RB ???

Our LBs were in slot coverage ??? WHY ????

Our 3rd down defense was bad.

I thought that was a well coached game. Got the lead, waited for Syracuse to make mistakes, capitalized on those mistakes, didn't make any of their own, and killed the clock as quickly as possible.

I often feel like the Gophers coaches are the like the soccer coach in the King of the Hill episode Three Coaches and a Bobby.

"Slow down Joseph, we've already got the tie. We don't have to hurt anyone's feelings!"

I wish they would try to play with intensity and an agressive killer instinct throughout the entire game instead of just going into a conservative shell and holding on. Without the pick six I think this game would have had a much different outcome.

Sometimes I wonder if people realize that Syracuse was 7-5 with wins over Purdue and NC State (ranked) plus two more bowl teams.

The teams they lost to have won:
11 games - Clemson
10 games - Florida state
9 games - North Carolina
9 games - Minnesota
8 games - notre dame (with 1 to play)
8 games - wake forest

That was a pretty tough opponents we played and, get this, Syracuse was trying to win the game too.
I am going to go ahead and be okay with the win even though it wasn’t a blowout.

Top Bottom