What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his first Axe game?

What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his first Axe game?

• A

Votes: 178 81.3%
  • B

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • C

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
He was fantastic. Easy A given the poise, decision-making, wheels, and live arm.

Aidan OConnell, who most consider to be the best QB in the west, threw three picks vs Wisconsin, and lost.

300 plus yards and the game winning TD! Is a frogs ass water tight?? Of course he gets an A!

So is one of the two people that said "C" Tommyboy because there is a certain Qb at St.Johns he thinks should have been offered a Gopher scholarship instead?

Stop it. We are all happy the AK finally broke out as a playmaker. Don’t say you guaranteed that coming into the game. Next couple years with AK at the helm will be fun!
Finally? SMH.

For a Frosh, huge game and he was great. Not a QB performance for the ages but he showed a bullet arm, poise, toughness, mobility and leadership. Could he have thrown it away and not been sacked as much? Probably but that can improve w maturity. His accuracy in my mind is questionable at times which is probably why we didn’t see as many passes against Iowa w their very good pass defense - receivers got way more separation against Wisky. His accuracy clearly suffers when on the move and feet aren’t planted! Can he improve this? Great game for a frosh.

AK8 was great. He held his poise even when our blocking broke down for a while there. Stood in and made the throws. Kid looks great when given the chance. A

2 C votes can be ignored as those are clearly trolls. Just have to look at threads from the past week and see who is suddenly missing from the forum to figure out where those votes might have come from.

Surprised at the number of B votes though. Not that B is a bad grade by any means but I will stand by my opinion that anyone who looked at what Athan did yesterday and came away with B should probably take a look at their grading standards.

Honest question for those not voting A. What did you not like about what you saw from AK today to justify knocking the grade down from an A?
If he truly does have the option to keep the ball, he should've run more keepers. It was clear as the game went on that the Badgers were stacking up to stop Mo. A couple of those stuffs appeared to be bad reads on his part.

His passing stats were inscrutable. That's an A grade.

Last edited:

2 C votes can be ignored as those are clearly trolls. Just have to look at threads from the past week and see who is suddenly missing from the forum to figure out where those votes might have come from.

Surprised at the number of B votes though. Not that B is a bad grade by any means but I will stand by my opinion that anyone who looked at what Athan did yesterday and came away with B should probably take a look at their grading standards.
There were people in the game thread who said “he looks like a deer in headlights” during the third quarter. I’m guessing those people were who said B. To be fair though, he did have a stretch from the mid third quarter to the early 4th where he was 1/4 and took two sacks on 6 consecutive pass attempts.
I think a B could be a realistic thing if you have an extremely high expectation of a freshman QB

let me ask this: who would be pissed if Morgan got to play all of the bowl game with a healthy Athan Kaliakmanis?
Pissed? That would be a tragedy. He won't be playing.

There were people in the game thread who said “he looks like a deer in headlights” during the third quarter. I’m guessing those people were who said B. To be fair though, he did have a stretch from the mid third quarter to the early 4th where he was 1/4 and took two sacks on 6 consecutive pass attempts.
I think a B could be a realistic thing if you have an extremely high expectation of a freshman QB
The bolded was a really weird part in the game. Not that our OL was stellar the rest of the game, but they were non-existent for a couple series there. I suspect WI changed something and it took us a bit to adjust.

The bolded was a really weird part in the game. Not that our OL was stellar the rest of the game, but they were non-existent for a couple series there. I suspect WI changed something and it took us a bit to adjust.
It seemed worse than it was because from 7:58 in the third to 11:12 of the 4th the gophers only ran 10 plays and like 9 of them were bad.

But it was only 7-8% of the game snaps

And at the end of that awful stretch the score had gotten worse but only from 13-9 to 13-16

The adjustments we made were pretty amazing. Went from looking like we had no chance to moving the ball pretty well.

Probably had to do with the conference leader in sacks and tackles for loss coming into the game.

yes

let me ask this: who would be pissed if Morgan got to play all of the bowl game with a healthy Athan Kaliakmanis?
If I was the Head Coach I would start Morgan as a reward for his years of service and alternate with Kaliakmanis every other series. Then I'd check with Mo and see how much he wants to play in the Bowl game, if he wants the majority of carries they are his, if he wants to alternate give Evans some carries and transition to the future at both QB and RB.

Top Bottom