What grade do you give Kill & Staff for 2011 season?

What grade do you give Kill & Staff for 2011 season?

• A

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • B

Votes: 82 42.3%
  • C

Votes: 82 42.3%
  • D

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
USC A
new mexico state F
North Dakota state F
Miami B-
Michigan F
Purdue F
Nebraska B
Wisconsin C+
northwestern B+
Michigan state A-
Iowa A
Illinois A

Avg=2.25
C+

How do you give and A- and B+ (and a B in a pick the score vs Nebraska) in losses? Just asking? I would think a B and C for those two games? Not being critical, just wondering the reasoning?

Also, I voted for C. I thought there was improvement and expected MN to win 4 games this year. I am betting most fans are hoping for 5-6 next year?

I think next year all the non conference games are winnable, if they can accomplish that and win three bigten games that would be an exceptional season, as for this year all things considered I'd give Kill and co a B. I think the culture of gopher football is heading in the right direction in terms of what's expected of the players, the big thing will be what happens with the athletic department. Assuming Maturi is out,who will be the new AD and what will be his or her's vision. I think the youngsters on the team showed alot of improvement, replacing Tinsley and Kirksey will be tough, but hopfully Beal can step up and I believe Hagman will be a stud for the next two seasons. The secondary needs to improve and players need to get bigger and stronger on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Can't wait for the spring game.

Solid B+. QB and RB are as deep as I can recall. OL is young and deep, and several may be playing on Sundays someday. Hopefully WR and TE are close to average. Believe offense will be above average next year. DL and safeties are major concern. 2 of 3 linebackers return and assuming we get the redshirt, 3 experienced CBs. Recruiting wise he had to fill out the roster, which it appears he quickly did. I think we have a favorable schedule next year. Kill and staff are the real deal. We've waited this long, we can wait a little longer. Class of 76.

I know signing day is coming up, but since our season is complete, I would say B-. Three or four games that make you scratch your head, but Kill has done a good job of leaving us all hanging - in my 10 years following Gopher Football, I haven't been this excited for a season opener (Vegas aside). Throw a road trip in there, and it gets even better. After the Spring Game, Sept. 1 won't come soon enough.

Solid B+. QB and RB are as deep as I can recall. .

Not to nit-pick, but you do remember the Mason rb stables right?

We have no depth at all at rb right now. We don't even have a front runner for the lead guy next season. Maybe someone steps up, but this could be an issue.

tikited said:
Not to nit-pick, but you do remember the Mason rb stables right?

We have no depth at all at rb right now. We don't even have a front runner for the lead guy next season. Maybe someone steps up, but this could be an issue.

Nailed this one!!

The other factor during the Mason Era multiple running back star era was the fact that the offensive line was GREAT in doing what they did and the schemes were geared to MAKE those running backs stars. The wide receivers were EXPECTED to contirubte to the running game with their blocking. EVERYTHING was geared to make the running game RUN.

So, before I get too worried about our running back situation, I will worry about the development of the offensive line. I will ponder just what kind of blockers our wide outs can be. I will be anxious to see just how our offensive coaching brain trust will scheme their running attack.

I would go back to watch some film of the Billy Cockerham days if I could. And, I wonder if we will be seeing any "wheel route" action using our running backs. Thomas Hamner thrived in those days. Mr. Gray just broke a season rushing record that was previously held by Mr. Cockerham.

There are a WHOLE bunch of things that go along with star running backs that help make those running backs stars. It is the scheme. The mind-set. The will of the offense and the WHOLE package that makes a running back run!

And Coach Kill and his offensive coaches will put their own brand on this offense. IF the offensive line developes and a few other things fall into place...this just might be a really exciting, entertaining and productive offense in 2012. Time will tell. We shall see what we shall see in the fall of 2012.

I'm more worried about the o-line's development and the devlopment and maturation of the receiving corps as an extension of the running game than I am about WHO will run the ball. Because IF the other aspects of the running game fall into place, the running backs will do just fine and will look GREAT in the process! That's just my hunch. I might be wrong...but, then again...I just might be right...One of my keys will be to see just how well the receivers do things OTHER than merely run their routes and catch passes...

; 0 )

Kinda just picked it based on how we were playin in the weeks around the game and the improvements we made. If I really thought about it id probably make the northwestern game half a grade lower.
How do you give and A- and B+ (and a B in a pick the score vs Nebraska) in losses? Just asking? I would think a B and C for those two games? Not being critical, just wondering the reasoning?

Also, I voted for C. I thought there was improvement and expected MN to win 4 games this year. I am betting most fans are hoping for 5-6 next year?

The other factor during the Mason Era multiple running back star era was the fact that the offensive line was GREAT in doing what they did and the schemes were geared to MAKE those running backs stars. The wide receivers were EXPECTED to contirubte to the running game with their blocking. EVERYTHING was geared to make the running game RUN.

So, before I get too worried about our running back situation, I will worry about the development of the offensive line. I will ponder just what kind of blockers our wide outs can be. I will be anxious to see just how our offensive coaching brain trust will scheme their running attack.

I would go back to watch some film of the Billy Cockerham days if I could. And, I wonder if we will be seeing any "wheel route" action using our running backs. Thomas Hamner thrived in those days. Mr. Gray just broke a season rushing record that was previously held by Mr. Cockerham.

There are a WHOLE bunch of things that go along with star running backs that help make those running backs stars. It is the scheme. The mind-set. The will of the offense and the WHOLE package that makes a running back run!

And Coach Kill and his offensive coaches will put their own brand on this offense. IF the offensive line developes and a few other things fall into place...this just might be a really exciting, entertaining and productive offense in 2012. Time will tell. We shall see what we shall see in the fall of 2012.

I'm more worried about the o-line's development and the devlopment and maturation of the receiving corps as an extension of the running game than I am about WHO will run the ball. Because IF the other aspects of the running game fall into place, the running backs will do just fine and will look GREAT in the process! That's just my hunch. I might be wrong...but, then again...I just might be right...One of my keys will be to see just how well the receivers do things OTHER than merely run their routes and catch passes...

; 0 )

The O-line was good, but we also put 3 backs in the NFL.

"...we..." had GREAT blocking from the O-Line AND the recievers that allowed those backs to get all those thousand yard seasons. Hamner played in the pros for a while. Tellis Redmon had TWO thousand plus years as a starter. Who had heard of him prior to that? Thomas Tepeh played some fullback in the pros until he got hurt. Russel did too. Maroney & Barber got the most publicity. But, believe me, they weren't doing it on their own when they were Gophers. It was a great combination of what the backs brought to the table...what the o-line brought to the table...what the coaches brought to the table...and YES...what the wide-outs brought to the table BESIDES their route runnin and pass catching skills. Those guys BLOCKED...remeber Russel's run against Michigan in 2005. Just watch the way the wide out sealed. The run would NOT have gone down that sideline without that great block by Ellerson(?)

IF the entire offensive unit blocks, wide-outs included...just watch what Mr. Gray and who ever lines up in the running positions will do to a number of teams in 2012 on the ground. There is a LOT more to a running back's success than meets the eye...

I do believe that review of the film of Cockerham, Hamner, Bruce, et. al along with the offensive line that included Hamilton, Burns, and a host of others could be very instructive with a QB like Mr. Gray at the helm.

Get those wide-outs blocking and just watch Mr. Gray rack up huge chunks of yardage. He almost reached the 1,000 yard mark this year...with good fortune, good blocking and good health, he can go MUCH further in 2012~ IF the Gophers can find a way to rush for 200 to 225 yards a game in 2012, it could be a good year and it will be an entertaining year offensively!

And, don't forget, the Gophers basically have a 1000 yard rusher returning in the person of Mr. Gray. He rushed for something like 965 yards in 2011 even though he missed the some playing time. So, it appears to me that the running game will go as well as the blocking will allow. Can we get two one thousand yard rushers in 2012...or...will several running backs share playing time and each gain around 500, in addition to Mr. Gray's thousand plus!

The team showed solid improvement throughout the season. With what they inherited physically and academically this season, coupled with implementing entirely new systems, this staff was solid. The early losses and non-competitiveness in the first few B1G games were certainly frustrating and unexpected, but this season was never about wins and losses. It was about changing the culture and laying the foundation for a solid program in the future. It appears as the foundation has been laid and that the culture is beginning to change for the better. Overall, I am pleased with where this team landed by the end of the season and have a great deal of optimism for the future.

Solid B.

I go with a B because the team made great improvement throughout the year once they got more used to the staff and the coaches philosophy. I thought the team would win 3 games this year and they did, although I didn't figure 2 of them would be conference wins at the beginning of the season. Next season I expect us to win 4-5 games looking at the schedule. Definitely not expecting a bowl game since we have some better teams on the schedule than we did last year. I can't imagine beating Iowa 3 years in a row either.

I'm just wondering what happened to the Gray haters, which was about 95% of the people on here earlier this year. Did they eat crow when they finally realize he was the right choice for our team and just needed time to get used to the position again?

I go with a B because the team made great improvement throughout the year once they got more used to the staff and the coaches philosophy. I thought the team would win 3 games this year and they did, although I didn't figure 2 of them would be conference wins at the beginning of the season. Next season I expect us to win 4-5 games looking at the schedule. Definitely not expecting a bowl game since we have some better teams on the schedule than we did last year. I can't imagine beating Iowa 3 years in a row either.

I'm just wondering what happened to the Gray haters, which was about 95% of the people on here earlier this year. Did they eat crow when they finally realize he was the right choice for our team and just needed time to get used to the position again?
They are now saying that Gray should move to WR and make room for Nelson. 1 guy even suggested Gray will go pro now cause he has the twins now.

They are now saying that Gray should move to WR and make room for Nelson. 1 guy even suggested Gray will go pro now cause he has the twins now.

I realize that I haven't been reading and interacting with this board as much lately, but you're kidding right? Surely there aren't people on this forum that foolish, are there? Oh wait, I forgot which forum I was on...

Did you know that 63.6% of statistics are made up on the spot?

I have the same thought and am following GophersinIowa in bolding the same sentence. People need to understand that the pro and college games are entirely different and that while Gray may never take a snap under center in the NFL, he certainly has a number of qualities that can make him a very successful college quarterback.

I think the Coaches and team deserve a C. They worked hard over the season to catch up to their peers and performed better in the second half than the first half. The same thing can be said for last years team that defeated the same two teams in Iowa and Illinois. I'm not sure who to give credit to the 'improvement'of the team. That is why I gave the grade to both coaches and players.

Incomplete. In four years, the appropriate KPI will be W/L, but for now it is development of the younger players on the roster. We won't be able to conclusively measure that until at least next year.

This is like an unfinished semester of school

I would have to say incomplete should be an option because this 1st season did not have a complete recruiting season for the staff and we did not get a full offseason of conditioning, and implementation of the system and the culture for the program until this fall. Next year and this year should be graded together. The one thing I would say is that I do think the current staff showed the ability to adjust and simplify to help win a couple games which might highlight there expereince level and the continuity of having worked together before.

In the poll I voted D, but I'd say overall a C-/D+.
The team did show improvement, but the Gophers should never lose to the likes of NMSU and NDSU. Never. They should have been more competitive against a mediocre Purdue team as well. This team should have had 5 wins this season, and so I can't rank them any higher.

I do think they'll be decent next season though.

Would have voted D or F because of the terrible losses to bad teams and the blowout losses where the team looked like complete crap but..... They won the Pig! Instant upgrade and with the convincing win over Illinois he gets a D+/C- for the year. At least we know who our coach will be next year. Lots of head coaching jobs opening up right now, notice how Kill's name NOT mentioned for any of them. Lots of improvement needed.

Would have voted D or F because of the terrible losses to bad teams and the blowout losses where the team looked like complete crap but..... They won the Pig! Instant upgrade and with the convincing win over Illinois he gets a D+/C- for the year. At least we know who our coach will be next year. Lots of head coaching jobs opening up right now, notice how Kill's name NOT mentioned for any of them. Lots of improvement needed.
Why would Kill's name be mentioned for one of them? He JUST started a rebuilding process here.

zambam said:
Why would Kill's name be mentioned for one of them? He JUST started a rebuilding process here.

I think that was sarcasm.

C-. We lost two games we should've won, and won two games we should've lost, so in the W/L column, those two cancel each other out. We finished right where the chalk says we should've in that regard, so I'd start out with a C. Downgrade it to a C- because of the reputation hit from losing to two teams that are beneath us and squads we should beat 100/100 times.

Before the season I said:

A-6 wins or more
B-5
C-4
D-3
F-2 or less.

However, winning a trophy game and finshing strong count for something, so I give it a C.

Top Bottom