What grade do you give Gophers coaches in win over Rhode Island?

What grade do you give Gophers coaches in win over Rhode Island?

• A

Votes: 96 65.3%
  • B

Votes: 39 26.5%
  • C

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Is today a sudden OJ transformation or just a tiny scratch to his thick armor?

Beautifully executed game by the Gophers. As we all know they started out slow but they actually ADJUSTED TO THE GAME! Also they allowed they actually utilized the passing game appropriately. Even though we didn’t score those points at the end of the 1st half I give kudos to the Gophs for going after the score and not just trying to force the run 3 times for a closer FG attempt.

Anyone who graded this game a “C” is straight trolling and those “B”s are highly questionable. You can be skeptical of the team but today’s game this team played nearly flawless. If a 48-0 domination of a game isn’t an “A” in any football game then idk what is.. Time to really think if you really A. Like this sport… and B. Like this team…

Dropped passes, a sluggish start, and offensive line struggles plagued an otherwise terrific job.

It was fun to see Brosmer and the passing game. They can win with that and fun to watch.

Little worried about the offensive line against better competition.

Dominant D, let the offense open up, win 48-0.

Not sure how you give that less than an A. It was an FCS opponent, yes, but I’m not going to grade on a harsh curve because of a scheduling decision. Maybe an A- for a slow start.

An A would have been one solid drive to a TD in the first quarter.

My B was based on a sluggish start on offense again.

I know this is a really, really, really...no, really...big ask of any team.

And actually the Billds are always happy when we win. We w"

"...come on and BUILD us up....Buttercup..." There is much work to do to get ready for the"...killer Big Ten season..." to start

The team executed this week. Regardless of the foe, it was the next game on the schedule.

Now, go on to the next game of the season and execute the game plan. It will be the final tune up for the REAL season to begin.

sSS:

Last edited:

Offensive line still needs work. But I can't give anything other than an A for a 48-0 win. If there was maybe an A- option I could have picked it for not getting more than 50, O Line struggles and a couple dropped passes.

But as it is, this was a complete game for Minnesota and the coaches deserve credit where it's do for winning against an overmatched team in convincing, dominant fashion.

"...come on and BUILD us up....Buttercup..." There is much work to do to get ready for the"...killer Big Ten season..." to start

The team executed this week. Regardless of the foe, it was the next game on the schedule.

Now, go on to the next game of the season and execute the game plan. It will be the final tune up for the REAL season to begin.

sSS:
Reconsidered and go with IceBox on an A-. Can't deny Wren's power to persuade.

On to Nevada. Ski U Mah!

I can’t believe you’re all grading so high. Same coaching staff they just played a shit bag team. Do you really think they went from F to A in one week??
These are week to week knee jerk reaction polls not full season grades.

Last week the negativity was off the charts and many people were way overreacting to the loss.

I gave a B. The in game coaching was an A, the defense an A, the passing was an A, but the run blocking had no push, and pass protection not great against a less talented team.

I can’t believe you’re all grading so high. Same coaching staff they just played a shit bag team. Do you really think they went from F to A in one week??
You must be a really gloomy person. Thread asks what grade you would give this week. Doesn't ask what you would give for this season, or prior seasons. Try to enjoy life just a little bit.

Obviously a cupcake opponent, but they worked on the passing game. I am very encouraged and hopeful that PJ will take the lesson.
Surely I don't expect these stat lines agains some of the defenses coming up, but in the past I feel like we missed opportunities to work on the passing game when given the chance.
Anyway, the taste of UNC is still with me, but Sat was a real nice afternoon and a great time all around. Can't ask for anything more.

Here's the way I look at this and the question... the question is about the coaching and not necessarily team performance. I'm looking at coaching decisions. Fleck could have stuck with the run even though it wasn't working so great (like he usually does). He didn't. Fleck could have just run out the clock in the first half and gone to the locker room with a comfortable lead (like he usually does). He didn't. Fleck could have played it safe and played for the field goal at the end of both halves (like he usually does). He didn't. Fleck could have insisted on nothing but RUTM when they made run calls (like he usually does). He didn't. Fleck could have sat back and settled for 7 or 10 point lead, just enough to win the game (like he usually does). But he didn't.

I don't think the Gophers are a conference champion contender. With this schedule, I think a .500 season is going to be challenging with this team. But as far as coaching decisions in this game, yes, I think Fleck went from an F to an A. If hope it's a permanent shift in coaching mentality. We will see.

Last edited:

Maybe you're grading on the season as a whole (as short as it's been so far). They did not go from terrible coaches to great coaches in one game. I'm grading on what I saw on Saturday. I saw a staff that decided, maybe for the first time in eight years, that they should take advantage of a weaker opponent to work on their game. Instead of running Darius Taylor 35 times because we should be able to, they clearly chose to try to improve the passing game -- because it might come in handy against Iowa. Not only that, it worked. A for sure.

If a student fails test 1 and aces test 2, a teacher isn't going to give the student a C on test 2 because they did so poorly on test 1.

We are grading game 2 only, not the entire season.

48-0 seems like a high grade even if it's against a FCS opponent or an easy "test".

D was great, still concerned about pass protect...

Amazing what happens when PJ lets Simon call most of the game....A for Simon

A for execution. F for whoever scheduled this really bad FCS team. To hone your skills you need at least a modicum of pressure to address your soft spots. The Gophs didn’t get that. Rumor is that Notre Dame is looking schedule Rode Hard and Put away Wet next year. It seems that those Mac teams might be a little to dangerous.

F

Not grading these cupcakes anymore, if we are ever going to become even middling in this new league we can't even play a team this low bar

lol at the trolls bashing us for scheduling Rhode Island......because yeah....nobody plays cupcakes....

Top Bottom