What do you hope to hear from Fleck during his press conference?

Stan

Reaction score
I want to hear why Minnesota.

Philosophy on hiring a staff.

Where he thinks he'll have deep connections in recruiting.

I really don't need specifics on day 1.

Just seeing him excited is enough to me.

The whole college football world will be watching:

I want to hear something about "facilities improvement", and "awesome stadium" to signal to recruits who are not familiar with Minnesota.

Also, it would help heal some wounds to hear something about "building on" what Kill/Claeys have done.

I don't want to hear "row the boat." Sorry... not the first day.

I don't want to hear "Rose Bowl"

I REALLY don't want to hear anything about chili.

"We are taking Gopher Nation back to Pasadena"

"Stroke the Post, Let's GO!!!"

"I knew this was the place I wanted to be when during negotiations I told Kaler and Coyle I would take this job if they resigned."

The whole college football world will be watching:

I want to hear something about "facilities improvement", and "awesome stadium" to signal to recruits who are not familiar with Minnesota.

Also, it would help heal some wounds to hear something about "building on" what Kill/Claeys have done.

I don't want to hear "row the boat." Sorry... not the first day.

I don't want to hear "Rose Bowl"

I REALLY don't want to hear anything about chili.

He doesn't own the boat thing so probabbly won't get much of that going forward.

I hope someone drops a "Row ROWphers" scooby doo style

I like to hear him support the players on their boycott for due process

A string of profanity aimed at Wisconsin.

But seriously, I want to hear why this job. Why Minnesota? What's his pitch about this job and this University and this situation? And, what are his short- and long-term goals?

I want to hear him praise Kim Royston so we can get SportsFan24 on board! :cool:

"we are going to right the ship, seas the day, and make sure kids don't give into pier pressure"

He doesn't own the boat thing so probabbly won't get much of that going forward.

He'll still be able to say it.

WE might not be able to sell goods with the phrase on it, but he can say it a lot and I'm sure he will.

A string of profanity aimed at Wisconsin.

But seriously, I want to hear why this job. Why Minnesota? What's his pitch about this job and this University and this situation? And, what are his short- and long-term goals?

That would be great.

I'd like it to be eerily similar to this guy who is walking out of the Dome in front of me after "blocked punt game". He was probably at about a .25 BAC and ripped on the entire state of Wisconsin including Happy Days, Jeffry Dahmer, cheese curds, bratwursts, overweight women, fishing hall of fame, etc.

I often wonder where that brilliant man is. I hope PJ's press conference is similar and it goes on for hours.

He'll still be able to say it.

WE might not be able to sell goods with the phrase on it, but he can say it a lot and I'm sure he will.

Yeah but if he is gonna say a thing... probabbly want to own it.

He might not even do a big slogan thing for all we know.

Tatoo SKI U MAH on his chest or something and maybe do all the games topless....

"Row the Boat."

"Are you Hungry? Or are you starvin'?"

"I hate Iowa"

I really hope I don't hear a lot of pandering about Wisc and etc on the first day.

I feel like that is what you do if you don't have anything else to say.

I'd rather hear about actions to bond with the players, recruit, build the program.... not rose bowl, natty, or wisc talk....

Want to hear nothing, needs to say "Hi" keep his mouth shut for awhile and get recruiting and coaches in place. By year 3, if this thing is sinking or treading water it will go down as the biggest farce hire in Gopher history when you look at the money spent on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to hear nothing, needs to say "Hi" keep his mouth shut for awhile and get recruiting and coaches in place. By year 3, if this thing is sinking or treading water it will go down as the biggest farce hire in Gopher history when you look at the money spent on it.

By year 3 a $3.5M/year head coaching contract will be in the bottom third of the conference. People act like the universities don't see the writing on the wall. Purdue spent $3M a year on their guy, we spent $3.5M a year (allegedly). Salaries will rise as contracts are renegotiated/new guys come in as a result of the new TV money. We're just among the first ones to do it.

Really don't care what he says specifically, no matter what it is there will be people on this board that will tear it apart. All I want to see is energy and enthusiasm to go out and promote the team and win back the fanbase. I know if he is positive and energetic a lot of people here will immediately compare him to Brewster which is really not fair to Fleck. Brew was a total unknown with no head coaching experience who talked a great game but couldn't back it up. Fleck can talk the talk but he also just guided his team to an undefeated regular season (hard to do in any conference) and has been a head coach so won't be learning on the job like Brew was.

This hire is pretty unprecedented around here. For all the flack Coyle is taking (much of which is justified) for how things have been handled around the program of late, he just went out and quickly landed one of the hottest commodities on the coaching market right now. Brew and Kill were both well down the list of targets when they were hired, by all accounts Fleck was plan A and they got him.

Yeah but if he is gonna say a thing... probabbly want to own it.

He might not even do a big slogan thing for all we know.

Tatoo SKI U MAH on his chest or something and maybe do all the games topless....

Yeah, you're probably right. If it's such a personal story to him, I'd have to think he'll still say it. I'm really hoping he doesn't.

I really hope I don't hear a lot of pandering about Wisc and etc on the first day.

I feel like that is what you do if you don't have anything else to say.

I'd rather hear about actions to bond with the players, recruit, build the program.... not rose bowl, natty, or wisc talk....

None of it matters, it's all a big whatever. But people will be charmed by whatever he says so let the excitement roll.

Really don't care what he says specifically, no matter what it is there will be people on this board that will tear it apart. All I want to see is energy and enthusiasm to go out and promote the team and win back the fanbase. I know if he is positive and energetic a lot of people here will immediately compare him to Brewster which is really not fair to Fleck. Brew was a total unknown with no head coaching experience who talked a great game but couldn't back it up. Fleck can talk the talk but he also just guided his team to an undefeated regular season (hard to do in any conference) and has been a head coach so won't be learning on the job like Brew was.

This hire is pretty unprecedented around here. For all the flack Coyle is taking (much of which is justified) for how things have been handled around the program of late, he just went out and quickly landed one of the hottest commodities on the coaching market right now. Brew and Kill were both well down the list of targets when they were hired, by all accounts Fleck was plan A and they got him.

As to your first point, I think everyone here will love him post-press conference. I don't imagine this place will be hypercritical of Fleck, most of us (even those of us vocally rallying against the administration) are still homers and like Fleck. Fleck is going to own the press conference. I'd be shocked if he isn't super impressive today.

As to your second point, totally agree. I can't stand Coyle, but he went out and got the guy he wanted. So the coaching search went about as well as anyone can expect.

I am comparing to why we have paid in the past for mediocrity.

Sorry, can you explain? We've generally not paid our coaches well compared to others in the conference (almost never in recent memory have we been top half). Is that what you're alluding to?

As long as it's not Cheezo-Beezo or anything about hot food, I'll be fine.

More than anything, I want to see some measure of gravitas. They all have a schtick. I just want a hint of the substance behind the schtick.

Top Bottom