What are your favorite music videos of all-time?

Favorite video?

Weapon of Choice with Christopher Walken. Nothing comes close to this:

Not a giant fan of XTC but this song is absolutely perfect Beatle Pop and I love the homage to The Avengers.

This is solid and also one of my current favorites. Good music is like a balm to the soul:

Very cool of Coach Fleck to appear in this.

In general the artists/bands I follow this century do not put much out in terms of videos for me to have a great affinity for them.

One exception is Wilco's effort for Born Alone.

Such an interesting song. It elicits such a wide range of emotion. I guess it's been in a few different movies but such agony and resolve here. Wow.

While watching the brilliant Stop Making Sense on IMAX, I was waiting on in vain for this Talking Heads song. I had forgotten it was released a year or so after the film. I do really like the video though. Classic 80s MTV/Friday Night Video era style.

Road to Nowhere

English punkers with a way ahead of the curve hip hop song.

The Clash / The Magnificent Seven

Such an interesting song. It elicits such a wide range of emotion. I guess it's been in a few different movies but such agony and resolve here. Wow.

I'm a huge fan of movie score, and as you said this has been in a few different movies even though not written specifically for movies. From what I've read, it was actually written in response to the Iraq War. This is one of my favorite pieces of movie music, even if not technically for a movie. Love the emotion in it as you noted.

If you haven't seen, it's actually got a true video with Elisabeth Moss:

On a side note, it was featured in the movie Arrival, which I just love as well. A lot of emotion in that movie too, the music fits perfectly in my opinion.

All solid choices. I recall watching Motley Crue's, Home Sweet Home, almost daily in the early days of MTV.

I was thrilled to see 1st Ave playing videos harkening back to when I first started seeing shows there in the 80s. Has to be at least 20 years since I have seen them do that, as they have opted for showing slides of upcoming shows of all the venues that they promote.

One of my favorites from the evening, especially because I was wearing my Cure hoodie from their show at the Xcel last summer:

Boys Don't Cry

RIP to Mojo Nixon and much respect to Winona Ryder for her enthusiastic appearance in this.

RIP to Mojo Nixon and much respect to Winona Ryder for her enthusiastic appearance in this.

I'll raise your Debbie Gibson a Don Henley.
If either of you have access to SiriusXM I highly encourage you (or anyone) to check out Steve Earle's Hardcore Troubadour Radio recent episode that was a tribute to Mojo.

Really well done, from a guy that certainly knows about loss. Mojo passed away from a heart attack the night after performing a show on the Outlaw Country Cruise while docked in Puerto Rico.

Earle was also part of the line-up and his radio tribute was playing each song of Nixon's last set, which Mojo thought was one of the best he had ever done.

Both songs from the videos were featured.

An old song but a recently discovered original video because it got pushed to me on my YouTube algorithm.

Pete Townsend has covered it with renown. That connection is probably why Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder often tag it with Better Man in live shows. Sometimes it's just a verse or two, but it can also be the whole thing. I used to think it was their own stylized version of it, but after seeing this, I realize it's a pretty straight forward cover (without the horns).

The English Beat / Save It for Later

An old song but a recently discovered original video because it got pushed to me on my YouTube algorithm.

Pete Townsend has covered it with renown. That connection is probably why Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder often tag it with Better Man in live shows. Sometimes it's just a verse or two, but it can also be the whole thing. I used to think it was their own stylized version of it, but after seeing this, I realize it's a pretty straight forward cover (without the horns).

The English Beat / Save It for Later
Seeing Dave and Ranking Roger play/sing together was the best!

Seeing Dave and Ranking Roger play/sing together was the best!
Between The (English) Beat and General Public I would have think they (including RR's estate), have a solid income stream from movie soundtracks alone.

Maybe they sold the rights though already in a lump sum.

Last edited:

Top Bottom