What are your favorite music videos of all-time?

Soul Asylum - Black Gold

I happened to run into George Wendt at a Paul Westerberg show in Hollywood, circa 1996. Instead of throwing out a "Norm!" or Cheers bouquet, I told him I thought he was great in this Soul Asylum video. His brief response, was about how "ungodly hot" it was that afternoon

I'll get it started with one of my favorites.

This was going to be my first one also.

I remember one time way, WAY back, listening to one of the MTV DJ's (yes, when they still played music) saying that with all the different artists and genres they'd ever had visit, Sabotage was the video most artists listed as one of their favorites.

Just a classic, always will be. RIP Adam Yauch

This was going to be my first one also.

I remember one time way, WAY back, listening to one of the MTV DJ's (yes, when they still played music) saying that with all the different artists and genres they'd ever had visit, Sabotage was the video most artists listed as one of their favorites.

Just a classic, always will be. RIP Adam Yauch
It had to have been a blast to film the video.

Another one for me.

This video by Marilyn Manson puts to music the story told in Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery". If you haven't heard of the short story, it's a good one to read. The blindfolded little girl at the beginning of the video is doing the random selection.

I think this is a great song and video.

The Breeders / Cannonball

More Deal. I always felt this was a nod to the Replacements, but more likely the Pixies just shared their minimalist approach to whole idea of videos.

This is a Jesus and Mary Chain song...Head On

Gwen Stefani barefoot in a sundress (no less sweaty on stage) was enough to put teenage Nokomis over the edge.

A Hard Day's Night and Help! introduced the Beatles to a visual medium beyond concert footage or live performances. Those were a precursor to needing videos post Rubber Soul to promote their music, as they stopped touring all together, growing weary of Beatlemania on the road.

Here's my favorite Beatle's song, Ticket to Ride from Help!

On August 21, 1952, John Graham Mellor was born. So in honor of what would be Joe Strummer's 71st Birthday, here's The Clash.

London Calling

Last edited:

Metal was, and is, my first love. Metallica offered many selections early on but Breadfan stood out to me. Since their was no official video, we get this with credit to "Budgie" of course:

Then hair metal hit the scene and nothing for me beat this introduction to the scene:

Then Grunge came along and despite my passion for Alice in Chains, this one has to get the nod:

Then along came Progressive Rock and nobody does it better than Tool. If you've never really listened to their music, throw on your Bose head set and listen to the vocal and instrumental greatness of "The Pot". They've never been about self-promotion so you get this:

While Sabatoge (my favorite video all-time), Intergalatic, and So What'Cha Want may be superior videos, I'll always have a soft spot for You Gotta Fight--amazingly, my first glimpse of MTV had this video playing that particular night and I was hooked.

While Sabatoge (my favorite video all-time), Intergalatic, and So What'Cha Want may be superior videos, I'll always have a soft spot for You Gotta Fight--amazingly, my first glimpse of MTV had this video playing that particular night and I was hooked.
The sequel to FFYR is good too.

Top Bottom