What are you looking forward to seeing against WV?

What I would like to see in the game:

creativity on offense. pass on running downs and run on passing downs. use the whole playbook.

a solid performance on defense.

something big on special teams - a long return, a blocked kick?

but maybe my #1 hope - if the Gophers get a lead, keep the foot on the gas. don't help the other team stay in the game.

What I would like to see in the game:

creativity on offense. pass on running downs and run on passing downs. use the whole playbook.

a solid performance on defense.

something big on special teams - a long return, a blocked kick?

but maybe my #1 hope - if the Gophers get a lead, keep the foot on the gas. don't help the other team stay in the game.
This is it for me, too.

Wouldn't surprise anyone here in WV. We are largely displeased with our schemes and coaching...

Just wanted to drop in and wish you guys good luck tomorrow. It's a decent matchup on paper, but Minnesota overall has the better athletes and is more advanced as a program than WVU after our coaching change, which has been lackluster and disappointing.

We'll either show up physical and it'll be close, but we have a penchant for playing soft for extended periods, in which case we'll get blown out.

A couple names you'll know after the game...

RB Tony Mathis - we won't miss the absence of Leddie Brown. He's a harder runner with more speed. Many were calling for him to take more carries away from Brown, but our HC is a loyal guy, usually to a fault.

QB Jarrett Doege - somehow managed to lead the B12 in passing, but simply isn't good. The ultimate statue. No mobility, horrible downfield passer and no ability to extend plays and deliver. He can, however, dice up a defense underneath if he's given the time to let routes develop.

QB Garrett Greene - he's the changeup and short yardage guy. Very fast, but he isn't trusted to pass so when he's in it's a read option and he keeps it almost always.

WR Sam James - the only true gamebreaker we have. Big, fast and physical. But he was a drop machine last season so much that he was benched. He's been better of late.

WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton - Our best receiver with NFL talent and size. If he'd had B12-level QB play, he'd be a household name.

DL Dante Stills - he'll get his TFLs and will wreck a few plays.

DL Akeem Mesidor - same as Stills but better edge speed.

Overall, our offense is easily defended. We run an outdated read option passing offense with a QB that isn't a threat to keep. If you can stop the inside run and defend underneath routes, we're toast. But if we get in 2nd and 5 or less, we'll go for the deep stuff and it'll be an underthrown jump ball, and our wideouts win a lot of those battles.

Defensively, we're just sound. We don't do anything great but we don't do anything terribly. We run a modified 3-3-5 and our D-line gets pressure. We usually bring an extra blitzer from an edge. We can stop the run, but a good passing game with good recievers will eat our lunch. We just don't have the athletes.

Anyway, good luck again. Hope it's a good one. And yes, our cheerleaders have schollies. But we do have a lot of homegrown talent. Feast or famine. Either a 10 or something out of Deliverance.
Solid 1st post - Props!

We may be one of the more bi-polar teams of the Big 10. What I mean, is we can dominate teams like Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, and Maryland (along with going toe to toe with Ohio State) and lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.

Our defense has been more consistent especially against the run. We've got some nice stand-out athletes. Justin Walley as a Freshman was impressive and will not give up anything long. Coney Durr is a hard hitting DB who blitzes well. We have a veteran DL with Mafe, Dew-Treadway, and Pinckney. You'll hear their names all night on the run stoppage. This is a good group.

Our offense can go from elite to miserable. With the line, I think they have dealt with the problem areas in sacks and missed assignments; but they can be great (which is about 75% of the time). If they win the trenches - it will be a long night for the Mountaineers.

Tanner Morgan is a very good quarterback; but doesn't do very well in blitz situations. If he has time in the pocket, there are few better.

Running backs - Irving and Thomas. Both are Freshman, but look really good. They were 4th and 5th on the depth chart at the beginning of the year, but we've had injuries. Both do not have break-away speed, but are quick and shifty. They also get nice yards after contact. If these 2 stay health, they will play on Sundays in a few years.

Receivers -Autman Bell is the best/most consistent. He is very talented. Wright and Jackson show flashes of excellent and the next play get the dropsies. It's frustrating, but exciting at the same time.

I'm sure others will chime in, but welcome aboard.

By the way, our cheerleaders are great, but our Dance-Team is the best in the country:
1640631588716.png

Last edited:

Wouldn't surprise anyone here in WV. We are largely displeased with our schemes and coaching...

Sounds familiar! Our scheme and coaching were very lacking on offense. PJ fires Mike Sanford, the previous OC, and suddenly the offense rediscovers the short passing game (slants, bubble screens, RB screens...). Amazing what the right coach can mean to the team!

Thanks for the insight on the Mountaineers and I'm hoping for a good competitive game!

Solid 1st post - Props!

We may be one of the more bi-polar teams of the Big 10. What I mean, is we can dominate teams like Wisconsin, Purdue, Nebraska, and Maryland (along with going toe to toe with Ohio State) and lose to Bowling Green and Illinois.

Our defense has been more consistent especially against the run. We've got some nice stand-out athletes. Justin Walley as a Freshman was impressive and will not give up anything long. Coney Durr is a hard hitting DB who blitzes well. We have a veteran DL with Mafe, Dew-Treadway, and Pinckney. You'll hear their names all night on the run stoppage. This is a good group.

Our offense can go from elite to miserable. With the line, I think they have dealt with the problem areas in sacks and missed assignments; but they can be great (which is about 75% of the time). If they win the trenches - it will be a long night for the Mountaineers.

Tanner Morgan is a very good quarterback; but doesn't do very well in blitz situations. If he has time in the pocket, there are few better.

Running backs - Irving and Thomas. Both are Freshman, but look really good. They were 4th and 5th on the depth chart at the beginning of the year, but we've had injuries. Both do not have break-away speed, but are quick and shifty. They also get nice yards after contact. If these 2 stay health, they will play on Sundays in a few years.

Receivers -Autman Bell is the best/most consistent. He is very talented. Wright and Jackson show flashes of excellent and the next play get the dropsies. It's frustrating, but exciting at the same time.

I'm sure others will chime in, but welcome aboard.

By the way, our cheerleaders are great, but our Dance-Team is the best in the country:
View attachment 16160
Nice. Sounds like you have some freshman talent having some success as starters in the B10.

That's a huge deal.

That dance team looks... deluxe.

Sounds familiar! Our scheme and coaching were very lacking on offense. PJ fires Mike Sanford, the previous OC, and suddenly the offense rediscovers the short passing game (slants, bubble screens, RB screens...). Amazing what the right coach can mean to the team!

Thanks for the insight on the Mountaineers and I'm hoping for a good competitive game!
Welcome. Our HC is too stubborn to move on from a bad QB, a bad O-line coach and won't let a real OC call the plays and modernize the offense.

Loyalty is great in a marriage. Power 5 football, not so much. He's a hard worker on the recruiting trail and is landing a class like we rarely can (top 25 when it's all said and done, hopefully). Plus he conned our AD into an extension already, which was a real head scratcher. So he'll be around a while. The question is whether he'll make the moves needed to win now or if he expects our fanbase to watch losing football for several more years. The latter won't bode well for anyone.

No matter what happens tomorrow, at least we can party into the wee hours of a Tuesday night.

Just wanted to drop in and wish you guys good luck tomorrow. It's a decent matchup on paper, but Minnesota overall has the better athletes and is more advanced as a program than WVU after our coaching change, which has been lackluster and disappointing.

We'll either show up physical and it'll be close, but we have a penchant for playing soft for extended periods, in which case we'll get blown out.

A couple names you'll know after the game...

RB Tony Mathis - we won't miss the absence of Leddie Brown. He's a harder runner with more speed. Many were calling for him to take more carries away from Brown, but our HC is a loyal guy, usually to a fault.

QB Jarrett Doege - somehow managed to lead the B12 in passing, but simply isn't good. The ultimate statue. No mobility, horrible downfield passer and no ability to extend plays and deliver. He can, however, dice up a defense underneath if he's given the time to let routes develop.

QB Garrett Greene - he's the changeup and short yardage guy. Very fast, but he isn't trusted to pass so when he's in it's a read option and he keeps it almost always.

WR Sam James - the only true gamebreaker we have. Big, fast and physical. But he was a drop machine last season so much that he was benched. He's been better of late.

WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton - Our best receiver with NFL talent and size. If he'd had B12-level QB play, he'd be a household name.

DL Dante Stills - he'll get his TFLs and will wreck a few plays.

DL Akeem Mesidor - same as Stills but better edge speed.

Overall, our offense is easily defended. We run an outdated read option passing offense with a QB that isn't a threat to keep. If you can stop the inside run and defend underneath routes, we're toast. But if we get in 2nd and 5 or less, we'll go for the deep stuff and it'll be an underthrown jump ball, and our wideouts win a lot of those battles.

Defensively, we're just sound. We don't do anything great but we don't do anything terribly. We run a modified 3-3-5 and our D-line gets pressure. We usually bring an extra blitzer from an edge. We can stop the run, but a good passing game with good recievers will eat our lunch. We just don't have the athletes.

Anyway, good luck again. Hope it's a good one. And yes, our cheerleaders have schollies. But we do have a lot of homegrown talent. Feast or famine. Either a 10 or something out of Deliverance.
Your offense sounds just like ours, … except we rarely throw deep! Good luck to WVU. The Gophers came in as underdogs against a very talented Auburn team two years ago, and we ate their lunch. Hope we aren’t in the overconfident “Auburn spot” this year vis-a-vis WVU. Your team has a lot of individual talent. And your QB led your league in passing. No need to soft-pedal your strengths. The Gopher offense has disappeared a few times this season in games in which we were heavily favored. Hope that isn’t the case tomorrow.

Your offense sounds just like ours, … except we rarely throw deep! Good luck to WVU. The Gophers came in as underdogs against a very talented Auburn team two years ago, and we ate their lunch. Hope we aren’t in the overconfident “Auburn spot” this year vis-a-vis WVU. Your team has a lot of individual talent. And your QB led your league in passing. No need to soft-pedal your strengths. The Gopher offense has disappeared a few times this season in games in which we were heavily favored. Hope that isn’t the case tomorrow.
Promise I'm not soft-pedaling. We're so sick of Doege it's like a running joke. Dude has been playing bad football for the better part of a decade, and the guy has ANOTHER year of eligibility (thanks again, Covid). Which makes all WVU fans sick to their stomachs. Thankfully we have a top 20 QB recruit coming in next year that has a shot at taking over (Nicco Marichol). But as I've mentioned, our HC is loyal to a fault.

We had Dana Holgorson and Will Grier and were burning down scoreboards everywhere. Then Neal Brown comes in and we can't run or pass. We get Austin Kendall from Oklahoma and were sold a lemon. Lincoln Riley claims he almost beat out Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. Game 1 it was apparent he can't hit the broadside of a barn. We clamor for change and we get Doege, a clone of Kendall.

I hope he balls out tonight, but I expect a stat line like he usually puts up against real defenses... 19 of 35, 1 TD, 3 picks, 5 sacks and a fumble. Anything better than that and it'll be a break in the pattern. We have to run for 150+ and our defense needs 3 turnovers to win. If it comes down to Doege torching that Gopher D, we'll be taking a big L.

We don't want to be dogged by another Doege (Jarrett). The memory of the 34-31 loss to TTU in the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl, quarterbacked by older brother Seth Doege still reverberates.

I'm with the earlier posts that simply wanted to see the game played with all our players. Breathing easier now. Looking forward to a good evening hoping to see the Timberwolves B Squad pull another one out of their butts and frustrate Thibs followed by watching the Gophers roll over West Virginia. That is after I go out and push some more damn snow around. (Thanks to Sorryeer for the informative back and forth. You've obviously spent no time in Wisconsin.)

We don't want to be dogged by another Doege (Jarrett). The memory of the 34-31 loss to TTU in the 2012 Meineke Car Care Bowl, quarterbacked by older brother Seth Doege still reverberates.

This is one clip that I'm not watching again. I went into a funk that night.

Looking forward to your next report on the end of the world.
The Holiday Bowl has been cancelled 5 hours before kickoff tonight and we have a very active thread tracking all the bowl cancellations.

But sure, my post was somehow an overreaction to suggest I was concerned the game would be played given the FACT Omicron is spreading rapidly.

thankfully the most recent info we have says both WV and MN are Covid free. I’m optimistic we’ll get to have a Gopher bowl game despite the shaky situation overall.

Nice. Sounds like you have some freshman talent having some success as starters in the B10.

That's a huge deal.

That dance team looks... deluxe.
Oh, and cheerleading was invented at The University of Minnesota.

So…you’re welcome.

I'm looking for the good boring stuff:
- Great O line blocking on bread-and-butter inside/outside zone running on well-timed play calls.
- Opportunistic quick-hit passing early and often to soften up a WVU defense that will likely stack the box early and often and likely blitz (see BG and IL).
- Disciplined defense that stays in their lanes while going for turnovers.
- No stupid holding calls nor targeting.
- A field goal kicker that makes all the FGs and extra points.
- Coaching that plays slightly aggressive while not underestimating the opponent (see BG and IL).
- No significant injuries.
- Great games by the prospective NFL Goph players in their last game.

All of the above is my type of game pretty much every week.

I’m looking forward to an offensive game plan that has nothing to do with Mike Sanford.

So, if KC has agreed not to coach in this game, this game plan is mostly Simon’s with some input from PJ???

I would like to see them put the offensive pedal down and try score. Would love to see some semblance of tempo (we run a basic enough set of plays, it ain’t hard). Would love to see another game of the defense flying to the ball with sound tackling

Top Bottom