What are the bars planning?

GopherGod

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what the bars around the stadium(i.e. Sally's and Stub and Herbs) as well as the Dinkytown bars are planning for pregames such as beer gardens. With the parking situation this year, I am thinking of parking in St. Paul early and heading over on a shuttle and just pre-party there before the games if the bars are planning this rather than tailgating away from the action in St. Paul.

I had heard that Sterbs was going to do a beer garden type thing in the parking lot in back, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Campus Pizza is moving (has moved?) into a bigger space across the street so they are gearing up for bigger crowds.

"What are the bars planning? "

Tons of beer!!!!!!!

Campus Pizza has moved

Now across the street--bigger space and a full bar, both substantial improvements over the old digs.

One of the new owners of Stub and Herb's posted here about a year ago and outlined a top-level plan about holding a tented beer garden in their parking lot every home game.

I'm sure Sally's is trying to work something out with the other businesses in that strip mall to utilize the parking lot for a similar concept. I'm not sure how that would work, but that has to be part of their plan with all that space available.

A little birdie told me Vescio's is trying to conceive some sort of sidewalk vendor food deal for games. I don't know that they'd be selling beer, but boxed meals possibly.

Honestly, I think it would be a great idea to just close down the block of 13th Ave between 4th and 5th St. It's not a necessary through street at all, and B Loco and Library could set up a block party style thing outside. That's me just thinking aloud though - no inside information on that.

One of the new owners of Stub and Herb's posted here about a year ago and outlined a top-level plan about holding a tented beer garden in their parking lot every home game.

I'm sure Sally's is trying to work something out with the other businesses in that strip mall to utilize the parking lot for a similar concept. I'm not sure how that would work, but that has to be part of their plan with all that space available.

A little birdie told me Vescio's is trying to conceive some sort of sidewalk vendor food deal for games. I don't know that they'd be selling beer, but boxed meals possibly.

Honestly, I think it would be a great idea to just close down the block of 13th Ave between 4th and 5th St. It's not a necessary through street at all, and B Loco and Library could set up a block party style thing outside. That's me just thinking aloud though - no inside information on that.

I know that Sally's used to do that for Spring Jam(maybe they do it still) and they used to close down 13th ave as well. I would vote to do that for each homegame. I just cannot get into tailgating miles away from the stadium and think that I will probably just go to the bars and enjoy my time there as I have always had fun at the beer gardens in Madison before the games there and that is what I normally do when I go back to Lincoln for Husker games.

I think bar hopping and beer gardens will evolve to be the staple gameday experience here instead of tailgating.

Sid Hartman was going to put on a "Vodka Garden" before every game at his place. Whoever drinks the most wins. I hear Reusse usually wins.

Beer gardens at Sally's or Stub's would be pretty sweet. Other places I've been that have those were pretty fun. I too am not a fan of tailgating miles away.

I think bar hopping and beer gardens will evolve to be the staple gameday experience here instead of tailgating.

I agree (mostly). I'm confident that a great bar/beer garden/house party type tailgate scene with develop on campus and I'm looking forward to that. But for me personally there are just times when I prefer to tailgate. I love being outside and smelling the brats on the grill, enjoying a cold beer or one of my wife's delicious (and alcohol filled) tailgating concoctions, and playing a game of bags. I like hanging out with friends without being crowded into a beer garden with hundreds of other folks. While I'd prefer to be on campus and do those things they'll be just as fun in STP. Taking a short shuttle trip over to Stadium Village won't ruin any of the positives for me. But if its super cold or raining you better believe I'll be at Sally's. :)

Big ten sub and grain belt premium...works for hoops...extending my spend to football

Stubs, I am pretty sure, already has permits in hand and is planning on game days to be a 23 and over beer garden.

I'm no lawyer, but can you do that? Wouldn't that be an around the way variation of age discrimination?

I have no idea, this might not even be the case, just a thought I had. Maybe Sturbs doesn't want a bunch of sloppy drunk students there?

I'm no lawyer, but can you do that? Wouldn't that be an around the way variation of age discrimination?

I'm not a lawyer either, but I'd guess that since Stubs is a private business...they could do it. ?
And I'm just fine with that.

I think they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

Typically no one excludes customers, but on game day they will have no problem getting them.

As long as it doesn't target race, color, religion, or natural origin I think they are good as long as they have proper reason.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/restaurants-right-to-refuse-service.html

-------------------

What Conditions Allow a Restaurant to Refuse Service?

There a number of legitimate reasons for a restaurant to refuse service, some of which include:

* Patrons who are unreasonably rowdy or causing trouble
* Patrons that may overfill capacity if let in
* Patrons who come in just before closing time or when the kitchen is closed
* Patrons accompanied by large groups of non-customers looking to sit in
* Patrons lacking adequate hygiene (e.g. excess dirt, extreme body odor, etc.)

In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself.

I don't think Age is protected in Right to Refuse service.

Age discrimination is protected when it comes to employment.

Ding, Ding, Ding. You win...age discrimination only applies in employment and only to those over 40. Discrimination on age is only if they hold it against you because you're too OLD, not too young.

I'm not an attorney, but do have a master's in HR and have studied this stuff.

I've been wondering this myself...

Having worked the restaurant scene in stadium village as a student I think it will be interesting to see who will open early at all, as most would not be regularly scheduled to be open that early, and there is a surprising resistance amongst some of the above aforementioned to be flexible on these things. It comes into play how early they would have to open to make money and make it worthwhile. Not one of the managers on the block was around for the good ol' days of Memorial, so situations are likely going to be fairly dynamic this first year. I know from talking with the old comrades-in-arms that stadium village is definitely hurting from the economy right now, and several of my old haunts are running with lean rosters. Its hard to bring on extra new kids for six days a year; for some of the smaller joints there is just so much customer you can cram into one afternoon. Knowing a couple of the owners on the block, they probably won't have finished arguing hours until the sign goes up the night before!

That's why I phrased it as "around the way". Let's say I own a smoke shop, but I don't think people should smoke until they are 21. If some kid comes in and wants to buy a pack of Camels, but he's only 19, then do I have the right to refuse to sell them to him?

Unless I miss my guess.

With a significant if not majority of fans comming from the suburbs, exburbs, and out state I see sports bars like Joe Senser's or Majors putting together bussing options along with a drink before and after the game. I have used the bussing from Jack's in the past, and even to the dome. It gets me there and back and I avoid the traffic. If you turn the way back to the 70's I used to meet a group at Paul's Place on Snelling for breakfast/brunch/bloody mary or three. And then on the bus to game, complete with flask. We took in the games, but the return to Paul's was where the game was broken down, the coaching decisions praised or questioned and the world's problems were solved over brandy, bourbon and cigars. Many nights I got home just in time for the 10 PM sports.

I'd like to take a bus from a bar to avoid all of the traffic. Unfortunately I won't know which, if any, bars will offer this service when I have to decide if I want to reserve a parking spot when my selection time comes up.:confused:

Whatever the bars are planning they better have lots of beer. I can't wait for Sept. 12, 2009. I heard rumor its going to be a night game! If that's the case we'll be able to tailgate for the entire day!

game day at the bars

I was at Sterbs this week and they will have a beer garden on day games in thier parking lot- age 21 and over only

A friend of mine works at Sally's and said they are planning putting up a tent in their parking lot on game days. Should be a fun atmosphere.

The real question is not are they doing something extra for the game, but rather are they doing something before the abomination that is the 11am college game.

Memorial Stadium kickoffed at 1pm. There was a parade. They closed University Avenue. There were fraternity socials, and pancake breakfasts. People were around campus for hours before the game.

Flash forward to today. Two hours difference might seem like a small difference prima facie. But now you have fan base that is hugely made up of people driving from some McMansion in MapleValleyOakGroveDaleParkPrarieLakePlainsRapidHills who for decades now have been getting to games twenty minutes late and leaving in the opening minutes of the 4th quarter regardless of how badly the home squad has fared. And the University is not providing these people with a reasonable place to park, long ago axing plans for additional ramps and further likening their need to go to greater lengths to "beat the traffic". Further (under pressure from the very businesses we speak of) the Administration has decided that there will be no brassy fanfare, no beating call of the drum, for they in their infinite wisdom have now decreed that the modern era of Gopher football is too fast paced to be troubled with closing University Avenue and have canceled plans for returns to traditional game day parades.

So why open at 9 am and for who? I don't remember many hopping bars near the dome on game days past.

Campus Pizza's Game Day Plans

I'm one of the owners of Campus Pizza. As many of you know, we moved across the street in January and are now located in a much larger space in Stadium Village Mall. We built a bar in the new place and now have a Full Liquor License, making us the closest Restaurant and Bar to TCF Bank Stadium. Here are some of the highlights regarding what we plan to do on Game Days:

-Temporary Expansion into the Stadium Village Mall common area to accommodate dozens of additional diners and drinkers. (Standing room and seating room)
-We'll open 8 am on days when kick-off is set for 11 am. We're even developing a breakfast pizza for those days.
-In addition to the bar, we'll have a couple of beer tubs running up around the joint.
-It probably won't be done this season, but we also plan to build a patio on the West side of the building in the alleyway between the buildings. We hope to have that up and running in time for the 2010 season.

On another note, I hope the City Council will consider a proposed ordinance change that will allow places within a certain distance from the stadium (like Stub's and Sally's) to have outdoor temporary expansions for all home games. Right now, the city limits these outdoor expansions to 4 times per year. Sally's usually has a tent set up for Spring Jam, which would only leave them with 3 more outdoor expansion dates this year. I think not allowing the additional expansions would be a huge disservice to the fans. The proposed ordinance would allow for temporary outdoor expansion on TCF Bank Stadium event days.

Top Bottom