What a strange column. Reusse: How Gophers ended up playing in Phoenix just as mysterious as bowl game name itself

Another column by Reusse to take a pot shot at Gopher Football and coach PJ Fleck.
I didn't take the column as a "pot shot at Gopher football and coach PJ Fleck" at all. I thought he was saying they deserved better.

In the end with all the cancellations, opt outs, etc, I am just glad the Gophers got to play with a facsimile of the roster they played with in the regular season against a historically respectable P5 program and WON.

Added bonus, I did not doze off at Halftime which was already about what time I turn in on a Tuesday of a work week.

Cheers!

Not gonna click on the link but did Pat do any research? Talk to Coyle? Call the Big Ten office? Call the bowl game reps? Otherwise it's just lazy garbage.
For a column posted at 1:30 AM I doubt that Coyle, the Big 10 office, Bowl Game reps et al were fielding phone calls for comments.

Dunno. I've been to multiple DBacks games and never felt it was dim. Last night did.
I wonder why they don't play this game in the Cardinals stadium, like the Fiesta Bowl.

This bowl is also owned/run by the Fiesta Bowl organization.

For a column posted at 1:30 AM I doubt that Coyle, the Big 10 office, Bowl Game reps et al were fielding phone calls for comments.
How many weeks did he have to write this?

😴 Getting sleepy 🥱
Reading Reuse is like allowing him to put your head in a bag.

I wonder why they don't play this game in the Cardinals stadium, like the Fiesta Bowl.

This bowl is also owned/run by the Fiesta Bowl organization.
It's a small time bowl. They're not getting the Cards field.

This article is a crapload of crap. Geography doesn't matter, except when it does. Fan base doesn't matter, except for when it does. Recently in the Outback? Uh...might matter. Or not. Depends. There is zero logic in this attempt to justify the GR Bowl.

Everything in it is wrong.

As for the Ruesse article, he's not wrong about the Gophers deserving a better bowl than the GRB. And I ATTENDED the damn thing, in person.
I should rephrase - most won't be as upset. I thought it was it logical explanation. Clearly your opinion is different.

And as far as the parachutists go, since it was pouring rain, it should have been called off and the roof kept closed to protect the field. Most people care about the game, not 4 guys making a jump into a stadium for the umpteenth time. For what it did to the field for the rest of the game, totally not worth the 2 minute quasi-wow factor.

If the gophers want to play in better bowl games they need to step up in every game no matter the opponent. Hopefully Bowling Green taught the coaching staff that those "gimmie" non conference games shouldn't be slept on. They've almost lost a handful of other ones in the last few years and finally got bit.

I look forward to seeing them stomp New Mexico St and Western Ill next year.

How many weeks did he have to write this?
It's not like it was a Sunday feature in the print edition.

It was an online column posted shortly after the game. He only writes 2 per week and it was over the holidays, so probably had other stuff going on.

Gopher fans getting in a twist about this?!? C'mon, just so trivial in my opinion though everyone has a right to be offended by whatever they want I guess.

It was an online column posted shortly after the game. He only writes 2 per week and it was over the holidays, so probably had other stuff going on.

Gopher fans getting in a twist about this?!? C'mon, just so trivial in my opinion though everyone has a right to be offended by whatever they want I guess.
I'm not offended. Just think it's lazy writing.

Dimly lit..

Also, the 4 parachutists pregame were awesome, but opening the roof for those 20 minutes turned out bad.

Damn right!

Announcers, to their credit, did mention it. Not just player safety, but the interception and it least 2 receptions didn't happen because of a player slipping. Who knows how many tackles and runs were affected.

(EDIT: Re-watching the game now. Hope none of those injuries were caused by that wet field)

Some folks just like to be perpetually pissed about everything and feel persecuted for God knows what. Once a person understands the business model, these "articles" make perfect sense.

As always, most of the column is trolling fans/alumni/supporters of the University of Minnesota.

That's as much a part of his job as anything. Because they (the STrib) know those columns get clicks and views, which is the name of the game.

Indeed, Gopherhole cannot help itself from starting a new thread devoted solely to the latest Reusse troll job.
We comment on pretty much every column about the Gophers regardless of whether it's written by Fat Pat or someone else. When he writes something, normal people think, "look, that slob wrote something stupid again". It's not like he's the only person who talks Gopher sports we have threads about. We literally discuss every thread.

That said, this one fan base has that tub of sh!t changing how he writes columns, writing things that are just idiotic. A portion of his miserable existence is dedicated to "trolling" us. There comes a point where the troll is putting in more effort than the person being trolled. That's where the slob is right now. The entire humor in trolling (if there is any) is that the target is super pissed and you literally don't care. Fat Pat cares deeply. When a troll gets obsessed with their target. . . they lost.

Make no mistake about it, Gopherhole is occupying time in that slob's head rent free.

I'm not offended. Just think it's lazy writing.
A column written and posted on-line at 1:30 AM, I am not really expecting Jim Murray or Red Smith type prose.

Damn right!

Announcers, to their credit, did mention it. Not just player safety, but the interception and it least 2 receptions didn't happen because of a player slipping. Who knows how many tackles and runs were affected.
Totally unnecessary imo. Entire bowl games were called off this year. Calling off a parachute jump to protect the field from the pouring rain seemed like the logical thing to do.

But, in my experience, marketing folks who plan and run these events aren't always known for their logic. It is more about the buzz and the bling. :) :)

This article spells it out very clearly. Once you read it, you'll be less ticked about being "screwed".

Blah, blah, blah. Just a bunch of speculation like we all do on GopherHole. No real facts, so it’s all opinion.

I’m moderately upset that Penn State passed over three teams with better records, and I think better teams, to get the more coveted Outback bowl game. They really should have had our bowl.

Every columnist is entitles to a few stinkers.

It's just that the Fulda flash has upwards of a 100.of them.......

A column written and posted on-line at 1:30 AM, I am not really expecting Jim Murray or Red Smith type prose.
Is there some requirement that he has to wait til 1:30am to write an article? Why not put some work in? Just lazy.

We comment on pretty much every column about the Gophers regardless of whether it's written by Fat Pat or someone else. When he writes something, normal people think, "look, that slob wrote something stupid again". It's not like he's the only person who talks Gopher sports we have threads about. We literally discuss every thread.

That said, this one fan base has that tub of sh!t changing how he writes columns, writing things that are just idiotic. A portion of his miserable existence is dedicated to "trolling" us. There comes a point where the troll is putting in more effort than the person being trolled. That's where the slob is right now. The entire humor in trolling (if there is any) is that the target is super pissed and you literally don't care. Fat Pat cares deeply. When a troll gets obsessed with their target. . . they lost.

Make no mistake about it, Gopherhole is occupying time in that slob's head rent free.
If what you write is true (and I'm going to go with it as being true), I shall double my efforts!

In typical Pat fashion, it takes 6 paragraphs to even mention the topic of the bowl he's writing about. I realize this was a late game and Pat likely wrote this two weeks ago outside of a few stats he plugged in.

Why not a column on Big Dan and his journey here and it finishing with a TD before he goes on to NFL? Instead we have, well this:

Which leaves the question: How did a Gophers team that finished 6-3 in the Big Ten wind up in a bowl so low on the pecking order that Coach Brew went to it twice?

Go Gophers!!
Why did he do this? Because the Athletic Department at the University of Minnesota is "comfortable" and needs to be afflicted.

I just mean the lighting, the maroon looked purple on my tv and it was dark overall. Yes, the defense was awesome. Watching Dan F power into the end zone was fun. Fun watching some of those blitzes where WV didn't touch our guys and we just hammer their QB.
I had to have a 3 minute conversation with my wife after she wandered in and asked, "Why are the Vikings playing now?"

Is there some requirement that he has to wait til 1:30am to write an article? Why not put some work in? Just lazy.
The game ended at 12:30 am. This wasn't a feature or investigative article. It's essentially a blog.

Most sports columns (online) are whatever occurs to the author at the time it is happening, especially in this day in age in which usually they are not onsite.

Damn right!

(EDIT: Re-watching the game now. Hope none of those injuries were caused by that wet field)
Hell, we had a guy slip down when he shifted in the backfield before the ball was snapped.

I didn't take the column as a "pot shot at Gopher football and coach PJ Fleck" at all. I thought he was saying they deserved better.

In the end with all the cancellations, opt outs, etc, I am just glad the Gophers got to play with a facsimile of the roster they played with in the regular season against a historically respectable P5 program and WON.

Added bonus, I did not doze off at Halftime which was already about what time I turn in on a Tuesday of a work week.

Cheers!
You didn't think he tried to link Coach Brewster and Coach Fleck as similar coaches as he has done in the past. He has been doing that tangent and trying to link the two, Reusse has been doing this for years.

I don't get the hand-wringing over the bowl selection. They lost to a MAC team and Illinois in the same year. Pretty easy to figure out the logic that went into that pecking order.

That's one of the bigger mysteries around this bowl game - the Trib never did a breakdown of why we landed where we did in the B1G bowl pecking order. I thought the Music City Bowl was a very realistic expectation, not a bowl that starts after bedtime on the East coast. Has anybody ever seen an article that ranks how well each B1G team travels in the eyes of the B1G?

Top Bottom