What a clown!!!

This is worse than anything Ruesse has ever written or said. Simply terrible.

i read the first few paragraphs and quit. that was just pathetic crap. how he is even employed when he writes garbage like that is astonishing.

That was bad.

Even the part about Nelson may be better than Robinson. Nelson didn't show much last week, so he is talking about one game from Nelson.

One of your worst ones Souhan.

i read the first few paragraphs and quit. that was just pathetic crap. how he is even employed when he writes garbage like that is astonishing.

me too...lost it right here:
"How could a veteran football coach watch these three players practice, then tell Nelson to run the scout team?"

If Souhan knows so much why didn't he write this in fall camp, or after last week?

On second thought....he's a perfect Minnesota columnist! Jump on the (Nelson) bandwagon Jim just like Minnesotans always do!

This ranks right up with the 'Baldy McBaldwimp' rip of Xavier when the Gopher played them in the NCAA tournament. Souhan is genuinely clueless about anything outside the Twins and Vikings. Sad.

Michigan is coming to town next week, bringing Denard Robinson, once considered a Heisman Trophy candidate, and the Gophers may have the better quarterback.

:confused:

Read the comments here before reading the story. Get past the first paragraph and didn't think it's that big a deal. Coach Kill didn't seem to have a problem with it and from what we've found out about Mr.Kill he'll let you know if he doesn't like a question. :)

Kill's first starting quarterback this season, MarQueis Gray, had trouble throwing the ball forward. His second starting quarterback this season, Max Shortell, had trouble running forward, or throwing the ball outside the hash marks.

How could a veteran football coach watch these three players practice, then tell Nelson to run the scout team?

"It's one of those things where you just don't know what's going to happen,'' Kill said. "If I was out there, I'd be asking the same question.''

Nelson has that "it" quality you want in a quarterback: Talent augmented by a feel for the game.

"I'm excited for the future,'' Kill said. "I can't go back and change anything."

Enjoy the moment!

"Nelson at quarterback, with Gray at receiver, gives the Gophers their best possible lineup.

That's easy to say today. I wonder why it wasn't easy to say two months ago."

It's called leadership, Jimmy. It's called maturity, Jimmy. Sometimes that has to be earned, Jimmy. That takes time. Man, it's so hard with those 20-20 Hindsight goggles. What a worthless writer.

Keep having a thick skin Jerry. This lackey sportswriters around here always find something to criticize.

Put out resumes for his replacements. There will be thousands of resumes from better writers. He can't grasp that Nelson just might not have been ready earlier, that players need some time to adjust. He also can't grasp that practice is different than a real game. You can't always see everything in practice that you can in real games.

Souhan must not have seen Nelson play terribly at the Spring game.

It would have to be highly recommended or have an incredibly interesting title before I even bother to look at anything with Souhan's name attached to it. He finally burnt all credibility when he tried to roast the senator over the Vikings stadium questions without bothering to notice the context with which the questions were stated.

If Souhan had attended a practice he would know that Nelson was hampered by a hamstring injury through the beginning portion of camp and really didn't have a chance at competing for the starting position.

Give Reusse credit, he came out and said "good move" about starting Nelson before the Wisconsin game.

I'm not going to click on the article, but I'm sure it's the same ole same. This guy isn't a journalist, he doesn't follow college sports/Gophers enough to really have an opinion and he doesn't cover the Gophers in any realistic way. I don't mind when journalists make reasonable jabs at my favorite teams, I'll often agree with them. However, this idiot is just a troll.

Don't click on the link. If these jack-holes get no clicks, they will disappear.

I truly appreciate constructive criticism about my favorite football team, but this clown certainly has no knowledge about college football. Sadly, anyone with a forum on the Strib or PiPress site will be considered an "expert" by the casual reader.

All of this is genuinely part of "changing the culture" of football as it pertains to "The U".

It's easy for him after a couple good games to write that we "should have" put Nelson in earlier...if Nelson would have struggled he would then say we "shouldn't have" burned the redshirt. They will write any crap to make their deadline.

C'mon guys, don't you know that players very rarely get better throughout a season? Obviously a true freshman in a new offense would be just as good in week 1 and he is in week 8.

At first I didn't want to post the link, but then I thought this is a perfect example of one of the major newspapers in this town doing whatever they can to rip the Gophers. I came to Minnesota because of the U. I love the U. I have been here 7 years and I don't think I have seen a fraction of this garbage written about other teams. Call me biased because the Gophers (who I really love) are the only sports team in MN I care about, except for the Wild. I don't understand the hatred that these local writers have. Can someone explain to me why they make excuses for other teams losing and blind optimism for other teams winning and yet the only major division 1 school in the state gets treated like a punchline win or lose? Sorry for venting. Too many Halloween cocktails. SKI U MAH!!! Let's go get bowl eligible vs. Mich.

At first I didn't want to post the link, but then I thought this is a perfect example of one of the major newspapers in this town doing whatever they can to rip the Gophers. I came to Minnesota because of the U. I love the U. I have been here 7 years and I don't think I have seen a fraction of this garbage written about other teams. Call me biased because the Gophers (who I really love) are the only sports team in MN I care about, except for the Wild. I don't understand the hatred that these local writers have. Can someone explain to me why they make excuses for other teams losing and blind optimism for other teams winning and yet the only major division 1 school in the state gets treated like a punchline win or lose? Sorry for venting. Too many Halloween cocktails. SKI U MAH!!! Let's go get bowl eligible vs. Mich.

Somehow they have to prove they are as relevant as the bigger cities such as NY, Boston and LA. Plus they are full of their own opinion.

It took injuries to Shortell and Gray for Gophers coach Jerry Kill to decide to burn Nelson's redshirt at Wisconsin.

Does Kill regret not starting Nelson sooner?

"I'm going to be always second-guessing," Kill said. "I think we've done the right thing to move him along. You really don't know. We don't get preseason games to really take a look at different situations. But I think it's worked out pretty good. I think we've got some depth at that position. I'm excited about our future."

Well said Jerry.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...qb-philip-nelson-lights-it?source=most_viewed

If Souhan had attended a practice he would know that Nelson was hampered by a hamstring injury through the beginning portion of camp and really didn't have a chance at competing for the starting position.

This is the truth AND Nelson was taken aside being taught... he had a coach in his ear almost all the time. As others have said here, he was simply not ready to play and in my opinion he still wasn't expected to start.

Kill is still building and that was his plan all along.

This. Hard to listen to an opinion of a writer that would not know that. Plus, from all accounts Gray had become the leader of this team and his passing had improved significantly. Reusse>>>Souhan. At least Reusse has some good stories about town baseball and golf.

With crap articles like that, who needs the newspaper? I get better sports information from random bloggers.

From a professional standpoint, this column shows a lot of laziness on the writer's part.

Top Bottom