Western Michigan transfer LB Ryan Selig commits to Gophers

Our coaches kept going after these underwhelming medium sized fishes in a small pond! Just like their HS recruiting patterns….3⭐️s seem to be their sweet spot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And we sit here and wonder why we don’t and can’t beat the ILL, Purdue, Iowa, and PSU? And why we couldn’t get to a B1G championship this year with the easiest schedule probably in the next 10 years?

We suck at recruiting! UMN ain’t got it. Fleck can’t attract top tier HS or portal players! Why did I graduate from the U 🤦🏻‍♂️

Our coaches kept going after these underwhelming medium sized fishes in a small pond! Just like their HS recruiting patterns….3⭐️s seem to be their sweet spot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And we sit here and wonder why we don’t and can’t beat the ILL, Purdue, Iowa, and PSU? And why we couldn’t get to a B1G championship this year with the easiest schedule probably in the next 10 years?

We suck at recruiting! UMN ain’t got it. Fleck can’t attract top tier HS or portal players! Why did I graduate from the U 🤦🏻‍♂️
Arguably our most valuable transfer was from Abilene Christian (a 2 star(...We've gotten impact transfers from Michigan on multiple occasions, this is simply revisionist history or not paying attention. This guy was a starting linebacker in the MAC, that is a good get, the other WMU transfer was All-MAC, also a good pickup. Just a stupid, stupid response.

Very strange post. I remember PJ and the U beating Illinois and Purdue several times. And beating PSU. You should check. These things really happened. Iowa? Well, there is that.

Our low ranked 3 star players—lower than anyone in the current HS recruiting class—include Antoine Winfield and Mo Ibrahim. Think how badly “we” suck to have gotten burdened with them. Or with low 3* John Michael Schmitz. Or lowly transfer Jack Gibbens. I wish we had instead gotten some head case prima donna 5*s who didn’t really want to be here and would flame out and transfer, instead of all those paltry medium sized fishes.

You seem to be under the delusion the U is recruiting on even ground with schools that attract a lot of 4 and 5 star players. I hope your naïveté doesn’t extend into other areas of your life. That would sad. Anyway, you have my condolences. Perhaps it would have been better if you had graduated from Alabama. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Then you could find happiness in life.

Last edited:

Time to put the bong down...

They’ve already turned at least two transfers into draft picks.

A more measured response: PJ isn’t taking any transfer unless he feels the player can improve our team. Crooms and Selig instantly improve the team. That is the overriding goal of this process. Assuaging your feelings of inadequacy, which you have projected onto the team, is a secondary goal and no doubt important to PJ, I am sure, but it is secondary.

I get it guys…y’all LOVE our Gophers no matter what.

It’s like your own child right? When they get a D in a class, “little Jimmy, you tried your hardest, we still love you!”

But I see it like this, we couldn’t get them (these premadonna 4-5⭐️s) when they were HS recruits, but now they’re in the portal and it’s our chance! These premadonnas aren’t as picky as a transfer or maybe not even as sought out for by other real football schools, why can’t we, THE U, try to get them?

I loved that we got some transfers from Clemson, UMich, Norte Dame in the previous years and those were great gets Fleck! But c’mon, WMU, EMU, Alabama State, South Dakota…etc…seriously, there are 5000+ in the portal, you gotta go for the “C” grade players? C’mon!

Hey! I’m pumped for our 5-7 season next year! Woo-hoo! Can’t wait to see these DII and Mac conference players getting pummeled 👍

You drunk?

You don’t remember beating any of those teams?

We suck at recruiting! UMN ain’t got it. Fleck can’t attract top tier HS or portal players! Why did I graduate from the U 🤦🏻‍♂️…premadonna (first use…could have been a typo)…premadonna (second use)…oh damn, is this how you spell it?

The question is: HOW did you graduate from the U?

Or did you?

It’s like your own child right? When they get a D in a class, “little Jimmy, you tried your hardest, we still love you!”

But I see it like this, we couldn’t get them (these premadonna 4-5⭐️s) when they were HS recruits, but now they’re in the portal and it’s our chance! These premadonnas aren’t as picky as a transfer or maybe not even as sought out for by other real football schools, why can’t we, THE U, try to get them?

I loved that we got some transfers from Clemson, UMich, Norte Dame in the previous years and those were great gets Fleck! But c’mon, WMU, EMU, Alabama State, South Dakota…etc…seriously, there are 5000+ in the portal, you gotta go for the “C” grade players? C’mon!

Hey! I’m pumped for our 5-7 season next year! Woo-hoo! Can’t wait to see these DII and Mac conference players getting pummeled 👍
Good lord man. you get that guys from small schools end up in the nfl all the time right? Maybe give the transfers a chance before throwing in the towel and assuming they will suck.
Gibbens and Trickett were 2 very good lower level transfers.

Our low ranked 3 star players—lower than anyone in the current HS recruiting class—include Antoine Winfield and Mo Ibrahim. Think how badly “we” suck to have gotten burdened with them. Or with low 3* John Michael Schmitz. Or lowly transfer Jack Gibbens. I wish we had instead gotten some head case prima donna 5*s who didn’t really want to be here and would flame out and transfer, instead of all those paltry medium sized fishes.

You seem to be under the delusion the U is recruiting on even ground with schools that attract a lot of 4 and 5 star players.
I agree... PJ isn't bringing in anyone who doesn't, wholeheartedly, want to Row The Boat... There are shitloads of 5* players who only want to play football. Fleck will never bring them here (whether or not he has a chance to land them.) He wants players who want to attend classes... are civic-minded... PJ's players hand the football directly to the official (one of the joys of watching Gopher football.) Athletes who come to play football at Minnesota have to buy into what PJ is selling... Primadonna's need not apply, so to speak. I'm more than good with that. I'll live without seeing a 5* coming here...

It's always an expectation issue with administration and fans. Some are satisfied by having a "clean" program that builds young men and is competitive (Northwestern, Vanderbilt). Some are driven by winning and creating a legitimate chance at a national championship (Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF). Not to hurt any feelings, but I would put Coyle and Fleck in the first category.

I’m wondering 🤔 how you graduated

Look at it this way. Would you rather have a transfer player that is on his way up or on his way down?

Did Gibbens get pummeled?

Madonna was born in 1958...PJ is really sucking at recruiting if he's bringing in players born before her era.

The fact you used it twice even. This has to be a bit...I hope.

Loving the WMU transfers and their potential, just hoping fleck doesn’t play favorites with them regardless of their performance (like he did with Tanner). They need to earn their minutes.
I think that by now their WMU background is coincidence? Fleck's been here a full 6 years so at most he might have talked to them some back in high school, and that's only if they are Covid super-seniors.

Says it all, right here

I think that by now their WMU background is coincidence? Fleck's been here a full 6 years so at most he might have talked to them some back in high school, and that's only if they are Covid super-seniors.
Greg Harbaugh JR our tight end coach was the wr coach at WMU for 2020 and 2021 so he would be very familiar with Crooms and I assume would know a good deal about Selig who began his college career as a tight end.

Madonna was born in 1958...PJ is really sucking at recruiting if he's bringing in players born before her era.

The fact you used it twice even. This has to be a bit...I hope.

Beat me to it, i was crafting a very similar response

I've been here when the Gophers were getting the football equivalent of a D in class. It wasn't exactly a love fest for coaches or players.

Minnesota is in a good position for the portal. It can both attract elite players from G5 and FCS schools, and also 4 and 5 stars "transferring down". Minnesota won't lose many really good players "transferring up". By the time a guy has proven he's got bigger things to do than Gopher football, he's kicked some ass in M&G and is now declaring for the NFL Draft. Good for him.

I have no idea why you assume all highly ranked prospects are prima donnas (correct spelling) just because some service said they were talented, but I imagine that colors your view of the situation.

Minnesota hasn't gone 5-7 in a long time. In fact, if the Gophers win against Syracuse, it will be the first time the Gophers have had 4 consecutive seasons with 4 losses or fewer since the days of Bernie Bierman in the 1940s - and that was when they played 9 games a year.

Top Bottom