Western Michigan transfer LB Ryan Selig commits to Gophers

I think that by now their WMU background is coincidence? Fleck's been here a full 6 years so at most he might have talked to them some back in high school, and that's only if they are Covid super-seniors.
While our need for LBs aligns with the signing and the new coach at WMU will create a lot of roster turnover there, I think the background isn’t a coincidence at all. Fleck most certainly still has strong ties WMU, and I’d put money on his strong rapport with legacy Broncos players from his last class he recruited there being a primary selling point to any transfer out of Kalamazoo. Nothing points towards either of our signings out of WMU being bad ones, but my point is some real questions will need to be asked regarding Fleck’s loyalties if they’re busts and he continues to trot them out.

What ever happened to John Galt? I kinda miss him!
not-really-nope.gif
SPOILER

I think he made it back to the valley.

While our need for LBs aligns with the signing and the new coach at WMU will create a lot of roster turnover there, I think the background isn’t a coincidence at all. Fleck most certainly still has strong ties WMU, and I’d put money on his strong rapport with legacy Broncos players from his last class he recruited there being a primary selling point to any transfer out of Kalamazoo. Nothing points towards either of our signings out of WMU being bad ones, but my point is some real questions will need to be asked regarding Fleck’s loyalties if they’re busts and he continues to trot them out.
Our current TE coach, Greg Harbaugh (pronounced Har -bow), Jr, is the connection.

2022-present: Minnesota - Tight Ends
2020-21: Western Michigan - Wide Receivers
2019: Minnesota - Quality Control
2018: Chattanooga - Wide Receivers
2017: Minnesota - Quality Control
2015-16: Western Michigan - Graduate Assistant

Competitive is way, way better than losing. Especially when the odds aren't in your favor because of a school's location, lack of NIL dollars, etc.

mngolf, I've got a question for you: Let's say that a golfer for years has had a 20 handicap but got his act together, got in better shape, worked really hard on developing his game, took lessons, and gradually moved his handicap down to 10. And he continues to work on his game, hoping for further improvement. I personally would applaud the golfer for his competitiveness and desire to improve. You apparently would ridicule him because competitiveness isn't a good enough. If he isn't "scratch" yet, he's failing in his efforts to improve. How can anybody be satisfied with mere competitive, right?
Not sure you understood what I was meaning here. I don't for an instant think Fleck and Coyle are satisfied with competitive. I think they have some things working against them, but I believe they are doing all they can to win and win to the nth degree. While also wanting good citizens and students.

Why would his loyalties be with kids he didn’t recruit? If he has them playing it’s because he thinks they give us the best chance to win. He’s played plenty of transfers over kids he has recruited, he’s played plenty of inherited guys over kids he recruited.

I get it guys…y’all LOVE our Gophers no matter what.

It’s like your own child right? When they get a D in a class, “little Jimmy, you tried your hardest, we still love you!”

But I see it like this, we couldn’t get them (these premadonna 4-5⭐️s) when they were HS recruits, but now they’re in the portal and it’s our chance! These premadonnas aren’t as picky as a transfer or maybe not even as sought out for by other real football schools, why can’t we, THE U, try to get them?

I loved that we got some transfers from Clemson, UMich, Norte Dame in the previous years and those were great gets Fleck! But c’mon, WMU, EMU, Alabama State, South Dakota…etc…seriously, there are 5000+ in the portal, you gotta go for the “C” grade players? C’mon!

Hey! I’m pumped for our 5-7 season next year! Woo-hoo! Can’t wait to see these DII and Mac conference players getting pummeled 👍

25 players were drafted from schools below the power five in THE FIRST THREE ROUNDS in the 2022 NFL Draft. Four in the first, eight in the second, and another 13 in the third. One of those players, Skyy Moore, was taken 54th overall from....drumroll please....Western Michigan!

If your mission here was to look like a moron....I'd say mission accomplished.

How I partied in the first two years there where my BAC was higher than my GPA, I often ask the same & still shocked that the U gave me a diploma! 😆🍻
That's a start. Now be honest about the cars.

Competitive is way, way better than losing. Especially when the odds aren't in your favor because of a school's location, lack of NIL dollars, etc.

mngolf, I've got a question for you: Let's say that a golfer for years has had a 20 handicap but got his act together, got in better shape, worked really hard on developing his game, took lessons, and gradually moved his handicap down to 10. And he continues to work on his game, hoping for further improvement. I personally would applaud the golfer for his competitiveness and desire to improve. You apparently would ridicule him because competitiveness isn't a good enough. If he isn't "scratch" yet, he's failing in his efforts to improve. How can anybody be satisfied with mere competitive, right?
New clubs, new outfit, new workout facility, new nutrition dining hall, new workout partners and a new home course might just inspire him to get that handicap down to a 5 or lower.

Top Bottom