Well, well, wlll - Miami booster/gifts

Why is Reusse a piece of s**t? He's more or less right. I thought the age thing he brought up was interesting. I'm 38, and I know damn well that I'd jump in that SUV and go to the party. I'd go so far as to say that you'd probably have to be over 65 or 70 to be so naive as to think that most college guys (outside of the Tim Tebows of the world, or people who play for BYU) wouldn't do the same.

And like it or not, if this kind of thing was going on at Minnesota, most of us would just rather not know if it meant that the team was winning titles (which clearly, the Gophers are not, so they aren't paying enough). There are a lot of blind eyes turned in college sports, and always have been. A friend of mine was at the U when Dave Winfield was there, and he tells a number of stories, and that was the early 1970's.

Even at the D2 school I went to in the 90's, most of the basketball team was made up of dirt poor kids from East Chicago, IN and Gary, who were barely literate, but somehow they'd end up with better grades than me in some of the classes I was in with them.

We've all been asked to celebrate the discipline the new coach, Jerry Kill, has brought to the Gophers.
We've heard about players who were made to stand on a sideline at practice wearing brown T-shirts with "LOPHERS" spelled in pink letters.
Yeah, that's going to do it, Jerry. There's no way one of your athletes would give into the temptation of women, jewelry or cash, knowing it could lead to a missed study hall and the need to wear a "LOPHERS" shirt.

He's a POS because he's somehow involving Jerry Kill in all of this! Where the hell does Fat Pat get off? Unfreakingbelievable. Sounds like Reusse believes that every kid on the team can be bought with strippers and booze

Well we all know that Patty would attempt a full sprint towards the first bottle of Windsor that caught his eye, if given the chance.

All that separates The U from Da U is boosters willing to be this lavish and an administration/coaching staff choosing to be this willfully ignorant. What happened at Miami certainly can happen anywhere. But it's not. And there are reasons for that.

Sounds like Reusse believes that every kid on the team can be bought with strippers and booze

Probably because that would be a true statement about most 19 year old guys.

I would tend to agree with Ruesse, but there still has to be some type of effort from the coaches, compliance officers, and athletic director to have some idea that these types of things are going on and stop them. I get the idea that at the Miami staff either chose to look the other way or maybe supported it in some ways.

I would tend to agree with Ruesse, but there still has to be some type of effort from the coaches, compliance officers, and athletic director to have some idea that these types of things are going on and stop them. I get the idea that at the Miami staff either chose to look the other way or maybe supported it in some ways.

So what was his point really other than to show his typical cynicism and laziness? You take Chris Rock, Vikings' Love Boat, and a 26 year old working at the Tribune and make a case that, but only for the grace of God putting the U far away from an ocean, do we escape a scandal like the one unfolding in Miami? What a crap article.

Probably because that would be a true statement about most 19 year old guys.

Oh, you must mean the ones without morals. These kids knew that this was against the rules. They are openly slapping the school, their family, and fans of the program across the face by doing this. Most, if not all, of these student-athletes are receiving a scholly to attend Miami, and the rules of that scholly were broken willingly.

This could easily happen here in Minneapolis too. Just because there isn't an ocean with hundreds of miles, doesn't mean that a booster could easily bring them to a strip club here in Minnesota and pay for their bar tab all night. If kids wanted to cheat the system up here, I'm sure they've had an opportunity to do that. I'm just hoping they took the higher road and said no.

I really like Miami (the city). can't imagine going to school there and being offered the choice to live like a millionaire. even now I wouldn't turn it down. It's beautiful, the people are beautful and the vibe is awesome. Lincoln Beach down in SoBe

Oh, you must mean the ones without morals. These kids knew that this was against the rules. They are openly slapping the school, their family, and fans of the program across the face by doing this. Most, if not all, of these student-athletes are receiving a scholly to attend Miami, and the rules of that scholly were broken willingly.

This could easily happen here in Minneapolis too. Just because there isn't an ocean with hundreds of miles, doesn't mean that a booster could easily bring them to a strip club here in Minnesota and pay for their bar tab all night. If kids wanted to cheat the system up here, I'm sure they've had an opportunity to do that. I'm just hoping they took the higher road and said no.

I don't mean the ones without morals. I mean normal, everyday college guys that don't go to BYU.
College guys like booze and women. It's no secret. It's the truth. Couple that with a longstanding atmosphere that Hurricane football players are treated like rock stars, and it magnifies.

Of course they knew it was against the rules. They chose having the time of their life over the NCAA rules. Most of these guys weren't going to graduate, or if they did, it would be with some sort of underwater basketweaving degree.

College football recruiting and boosterism is a complete and total cesspool, and Miami has always been at the center of that cesspool, but if you're so naive to think that Minnesota and our recruits are somehow above this sort of behavior, I've got a great business deal for you - just give me your credit card number...:D

Well we all know that Patty would attempt a full sprint towards the first bottle of Windsor that caught his eye, if given the chance.

It still amazes me how bent out of shape people get over media commentary.

BTW Reusse has often stated that his choice of beverage was GIN.

I don't mean the ones without morals. I mean normal, everyday college guys that don't go to BYU.
College guys like booze and women. It's no secret. It's the truth. Couple that with a longstanding atmosphere that Hurricane football players are treated like rock stars, and it magnifies.

Of course they knew it was against the rules. They chose having the time of their life over the NCAA rules. Most of these guys weren't going to graduate, or if they did, it would be with some sort of underwater basketweaving degree.

College football recruiting and boosterism is a complete and total cesspool, and Miami has always been at the center of that cesspool, but if you're so naive to think that Minnesota and our recruits are somehow above this sort of behavior, I've got a great business deal for you - just give me your credit card number...:D

Of course I realize that college guys like women and booze, heck I'm one of them. But there is a way to be around both of those things without breaking the rules, and screwing over everyone on your team/at your school in the process. I also never said or even mentioned that Minnesota guys were above this behavior. I simply stated that we are also subjected to it, even though we aren't located on an ocean. There are plenty of rules to break up here as well, I am just HOPING that we have not done so. I would really hate to be put in the same situation that Miami fans have been put in.

I hope they had the time of their life, and I hope the NCAA sends a message that they should have the time of the life in 1-4 years when it is legal to do so. It was not legal to do it while on an NCAA team (for that matter, prostitution is illegal no matter who you are).

Why is Reusse a piece of s**t? He's more or less right. I thought the age thing he brought up was interesting. I'm 38, and I know damn well that I'd jump in that SUV and go to the party. I'd go so far as to say that you'd probably have to be over 65 or 70 to be so naive as to think that most college guys (outside of the Tim Tebows of the world, or people who play for BYU) wouldn't do the same.

And like it or not, if this kind of thing was going on at Minnesota, most of us would just rather not know if it meant that the team was winning titles (which clearly, the Gophers are not, so they aren't paying enough). There are a lot of blind eyes turned in college sports, and always have been. A friend of mine was at the U when Dave Winfield was there, and he tells a number of stories, and that was the early 1970's.

Even at the D2 school I went to in the 90's, most of the basketball team was made up of dirt poor kids from East Chicago, IN and Gary, who were barely literate, but somehow they'd end up with better grades than me in some of the classes I was in with them.

Because he is. And then adding to it his cute little opinion piece (which should be in the opinion page, not sports) about how this exact thing would happen for the Gophs if it weren't for us being in Fly-Over country is completely ridiculous.

His assumptions are effing retarded and based on nothing but his wild fantasies (completely ignoring facts).

I've always enjoyed Whitlock's writing. Reusse's too. Some people don't like to hear the truth.

Well, read these two similar articles, and you can see why Whitlock is a nationally recognized writer.

Don't know why I'm throwing fuel on this fire, but here is a short read by Jason Whitlock, in case anyone wants to give it a quick read.

I get his point, and it's very true. Which is why I still stand by my thought that this very well could toss college football up in the air, leaving us fans not knowing how it'll land (in pieces or safely drop into the NCAA's cushion).

But, his assumption: "Shapiro wants to destroy The U and elevate himself. And some of you are glad he’s doing it because it makes you feel better about yourself.", I think, is grossly mistaken. He was doing just fine throughout his article until these two sentences. I get he said SOME people are glad because of that reason.. But I'd be willing to wager that 'some' is a very very minor percentage. How about the people that are glad Shapiro is doing this because they hate to see continuous injustices in college ball? What about the 'Thug U' haters that just want to see Miami burn? Or how about those that just want the TRUTH about NCAA?

I don't need to cheer Shapiro on to help me feel better about myself. The justification of him using strippers, hookers, underage drinking/partying, etc to help recruit kids to Miami just because it's apart of the scene in South Beach doesn't mean it's any less ok if a booster at our UofM using the same means. It's wrong. Period.

It's a few years back, but I do remember this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1731589

If you don't want to read the whole article...

Earlier this month, St. John's University suspended five basketball players for breaking curfew to go to a strip club. University of Minnesota officials are also investigating whether high school football recruits visited bars and a strip club during a visit in December.

Earlier this month, St. John's University suspended five basketball players for breaking curfew to go to a strip club. University of Minnesota officials are also investigating whether high school football recruits visited bars and a strip club during a visit in December.
And college kids taking of age HS kids to a strip club so they can blow their own money is the same as a booster buying strippers and prostitutes and providing them to the players on his favorite team how?

Not sure how you can link players taking recruits to strip clubs (which the real U admitted and reported to the NCAA BTW) with what is going on at Miami, but given your responses to even reasonable posts like Formo's it is obvious you have an agenda or ax to grind. Do problems exist everywhere and rules get broken everywhere, sure, we all get that. But, your rushing to defend the Fake U by saying everyone breaks rules is akin to likening a speeding ticket to criminal vehicular homicide. Both are traffic offenses in technical terms, but the degree means the difference between a $100 fine and life in the can.

And college kids taking of age HS kids to a strip club so they can blow their own money is the same as a booster buying strippers and prostitutes and providing them to the players on his favorite team how?

You think you're so cool with your fast typing. :eek: Still, your content is brilliant.

I have no ax to grind whatsoever.

I've been a Gopher fan since as long as I can remember, even though I went to an MNSCU university, rather than the U. (and if you think that makes me less of a Gopher supporter, I did so because I was awarded a full ride academic scholarship). I remember going fishing and hunting with my dad, listening to Joe Salem's teams on WCCO, and being heartbroken when they'd lose. I remember riding in my dad's pickup listening to Ray Christensen call Gopher hoops with Kevin McHale and then Randy Breuer. I know exactly where I was the moment Clem's squad got into the Final Four (which technically doesn't exist), and almost driving off the road cheering in my car. Don't give me that ax to grind BS.

I'm in no way defending anything that Miami did. Everyone with half a brain knows that Miami has cultivated one of the dirtiest programs in NCAA history, dating back to the Schnellenberger era. My big beef with some of the posts and posters here on this is that there seems to be a naivety that the U (our real U) is or should be somehow above the fray. That's a load of crap. From Luther Darville to Jan Gangelhoff to Doug Woog slipping $500 under a hat, we're just as guilty as any other major program. We just didn't win a bunch of football and hoops titles.

Let's be honest here. The NCAA and their enforcement is a joke at best. Do you think fans of Florida, Auburn, Miami, etc. care about the NCAA as long as their teams are winning national titles? Of course not. Big time sports means big time money and big time cheating. That's the way it works today. It's about getting away with it. Yeah, Miami and the culture of the town is an extreme example, but s**t goes on in every program. Just like it goes on in pro football, baseball, hoops, hockey, Hollywood etc. All of these entities are for our entertainment, and entertainment is a dirty business. Either you accept that some unseemly stuff goes on in exchange for your being entertained, or you don't, but if you don't that doesn't meant it won't continue.

I think the only way to curb these issues is to draft the way hockey and baseball are. The NBA and NFL could move to a longer draft system where teams owned rights to players it. Although this wouldn't happen for another 10 years because of the CBAs and there is too much money invested in draft picks already. The players wouldn't go for it because it creates more uncertainty financially. The owners wouldn't go for it because it is a higher risk of them being busts. They can still keep it so players have to stay their 1 year in BBall and 3 years in football but they cannot join their team until later down the line.

This was posted on another site. He makes some interesting points.

From former Miami walk-on OL Adam Bates:

"I have a hard time stomaching the party line that this is amateur athletics," Bates told me. "It's all about the money. The arm races, the [salaries of] coaches.

"The NCAA doesn't want to deal with this -- if it all. If not for [the media] discovering these situations, the NCAA would still stick its head in the sand. If [the media] sorted through everyone's laundry, they would find the same stuff that Yahoo did at Miami."

Bates' strong view on the so-called "amateur" aspect of college athletics:

"There is an awful lot of righteous indignation floating around college football lately. A man spending the next 20 years of his life in federal prison for fleecing investors out of more than $900 million says he gave some money and benefits to some Miami Hurricanes over the last 10 years. I'm not interested in talking about what did or didn't happen. I'm not interested in confirming or denying the spiteful ramblings of an insecure snitch with an inferiority complex. I'm interested in talking about hypocrisy.

"I want to talk about the hypocrisy of the NCAA and, by extension, its constituent school administrations; the very people who have enriched themselves so shamelessly on the backs of the kids they're soon to righteously delight in punishing.

"First, a little background: I had it easy at the University of Miami, and it often felt like it was too much to bear. I had an easier time in class than most of my teammates, and far less was expected of me on the football field. I went to school on academic money and I played football because I wanted to and because I had played my whole life, not because it was the only way for me to get through school or make a better life for myself and my family. I can't speak about what it's like to be a high profile recruit, an All-American, or a future NFL star and the pressures such statuses entail. But I can tell you this: College football is a grind.

"The NCAA says players put in 20 hours a week. Anybody who has spent any time around a college program knows that 60 is a better number. Then add 12 to 15 hours a week of class on top of that. Seventy-five hours a week, in exchange for a stipend mathematically designed to make your ends almost meet.

"The president of the NCAA makes more than $1 million a year. Any head coach worth his salt is making two or three times that. Talking heads at ESPN/ABC/CBS and the presidents of most major institutions join them in the seven-digit salary club.

"That's what this is really about, and people have to understand that. Why is it a problem for [former Georgia wide receiver] A.J. Green to sell his jersey when the NCAA sells 22 variations of the very same jersey? Why can't [former Ohio State quarterback] Terrelle Pryor get some free ink from a fan? Why don't people react the same way to that as they do to hearing that Peyton Manning is selling phones for Sprint or that Tiger Woods gets paid $100 million to wear Nike gear? What's the difference?

"The difference, as far as I can tell, is that the NCAA has done a wonderful job duping people into believing this multibillion-dollar-a-year industry is pursued for the sake of amateurism. It's a total sham. The coaches aren't amateurs, the administrators aren't amateurs, the corporate sponsors and media companies that make hundreds of millions of dollars a year on the backs of these players aren't amateurs. The only 'amateurs' involved are the guys doing all the work. Pretty nice racket if you can get it.

"The NCAA and ESPN are going to be telling you that some great kids are scumbags because they allegedly broke rules designed to keep them poor and implemented by people making money hand over fist. An ESPN shill in a $5,000 suit is going to ask you to morally condemn the kids who provide the framework for said shill to make enough money to afford that suit because those kids might have taken some free food and drinks. They're going to be called 'cheaters' despite the obvious fact that boat trips don't make you run any faster or hit any harder.

"Oklahoma gives Bob Stoops $3 million a year and nobody blinks. A car dealership in Norman gives [former OU quarterback] Rhett Bomar a couple hundred bucks and everyone wets themselves. Urban Meyer sat on TV this very day, making approximately $1,500 an hour to sit there and flap his lips, and was asked to judge a bunch of 20-year-old kids for allegedly accepting free food and drinks and party invites.

"Is that immense delusion intentional or do people actually not realize the hypocrisy they perpetuate?

"What's that you say? The rules are the rules? I call bull----. When the rules are propagated by the very same people they're designed to benefit, I say the rules must be independently justifiable. What is the justification for saying that A.J. Green can't sell his jersey? That he won't be an 'amateur' anymore? Doesn't the scholarship itself render him no longer an amateur by any objective definition? Doesn't the fact that Georgia spent hundreds of millions of dollars advertising itself to A.J. Green render him no longer an amateur? Doesn't he stop being an amateur when UGA promises him that his career at Georgia will net him NFL millions? Doesn't the fact that millions of dollars change hands thanks to the service he provides make him not an amateur?

"Is it because athletes should be treated like other students, lest they not appreciate the 'college experience?' Other kids get to sell their belongings, don't they? They get to go to parties and drink and throw themselves at women, don't they? They get to have jobs and earn their worth, don't they? And other kids don't spend 60 hours a week having their bodies broken or their spring mornings running themselves to death in the dew in the dark.

"It's nonsense. Unmitigated, indefensible nonsense. The players are ‘amateurs' for the simple reason that they're cheaper to employ that way. What is bad about giving a poor kid some money to spend? What is wrong with showing your appreciation for the service someone provides by giving them some benefit of their own? I'm supposed to believe it's wrong because the NCAA says it is?

"These players are worth far more than a free trip to the strip club and a trip around the bay on a yacht. A.J. Green is worth more to the NCAA and the University of Georgia than the cost of his jersey, and Terrelle Pryor is worth more than the value of a tattoo.

"I don't know much about players taking ]illegal benefits' and if I did I wouldn't be snitching about it like a lowlife, but I can tell you this: I hope to the bottom of my soul that every player in America is on the take, because they're getting shafted. The powers that be make too much money this way to ever change, and the rest of the country seems far too committed to delusions, institutional partisanship, and jealousy to see their own glass houses, so take what you can get while you can get it, youngbloods. You earned it."

Wow - not only is that kid's article offensive to everyone's intelligence (since when can't college football players go to parties, drink, and throw themselves at women?), but it is just plain wrong.

The NCAA is not hypocritical. First of all, the NCAA makes next-to-nothing from football. Virtually the entire operating budget of the NCAA comes from the TV contract for March Madness. The NCAA, in terms of football, is there at the behest of the member schools to provide policing and regulation. If you want to call someone "hypocritical", direct it at the schools themselves. Second, the money schools make from football is, for the most part, used to defray expenses from other sports, and, in rare cases, is actually a small profit which, indirectly, helps keep the tuition lower for the general student population.

And as far as all the nonsense about ESPN and sports media in general, so what? What does that have to do with amateurism? Are we supposed to start paying Little Leaguers in the LLWS because ESPN makes money off of them? What about the kids in the National Spelling Bee? Are they entitled to a salary too? The fact that ESPN cares about you is the reason that you're able to get a free education. I don't see any kids at Augsburg or Hamline happy that ESPN doesn't care about them. So, ESPN is capitalizing on a market opportunity, and they're supposed to share the profits with you? Give me a break.

Here's a newsflash: NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Period. Anyone who wants to bypass the hundreds of thousands dollars' worth of free education they will receive those 4-5 years (far more than almost anyone could reasonably expect to earn by going straight into the workforce out of HS) is free to start a minor league that will compete with the NFL. More power to them. Let us know how that turns out for you.

This was posted on another site. He makes some interesting points.

From former Miami walk-on OL Adam Bates:

"I have a hard time stomaching the party line that this is amateur athletics," Bates told me. "It's all about the money. The arm races, the [salaries of] coaches.

"The NCAA doesn't want to deal with this -- if it all. If not for [the media] discovering these situations, the NCAA would still stick its head in the sand. If [the media] sorted through everyone's laundry, they would find the same stuff that Yahoo did at Miami."

Bates' strong view on the so-called "amateur" aspect of college athletics:

"There is an awful lot of righteous indignation floating around college football lately. A man spending the next 20 years of his life in federal prison for fleecing investors out of more than $900 million says he gave some money and benefits to some Miami Hurricanes over the last 10 years. I'm not interested in talking about what did or didn't happen. I'm not interested in confirming or denying the spiteful ramblings of an insecure snitch with an inferiority complex. I'm interested in talking about hypocrisy.

"I want to talk about the hypocrisy of the NCAA and, by extension, its constituent school administrations; the very people who have enriched themselves so shamelessly on the backs of the kids they're soon to righteously delight in punishing.

"First, a little background: I had it easy at the University of Miami, and it often felt like it was too much to bear. I had an easier time in class than most of my teammates, and far less was expected of me on the football field. I went to school on academic money and I played football because I wanted to and because I had played my whole life, not because it was the only way for me to get through school or make a better life for myself and my family. I can't speak about what it's like to be a high profile recruit, an All-American, or a future NFL star and the pressures such statuses entail. But I can tell you this: College football is a grind.

"The NCAA says players put in 20 hours a week. Anybody who has spent any time around a college program knows that 60 is a better number. Then add 12 to 15 hours a week of class on top of that. Seventy-five hours a week, in exchange for a stipend mathematically designed to make your ends almost meet.

"The president of the NCAA makes more than $1 million a year. Any head coach worth his salt is making two or three times that. Talking heads at ESPN/ABC/CBS and the presidents of most major institutions join them in the seven-digit salary club.

"That's what this is really about, and people have to understand that. Why is it a problem for [former Georgia wide receiver] A.J. Green to sell his jersey when the NCAA sells 22 variations of the very same jersey? Why can't [former Ohio State quarterback] Terrelle Pryor get some free ink from a fan? Why don't people react the same way to that as they do to hearing that Peyton Manning is selling phones for Sprint or that Tiger Woods gets paid $100 million to wear Nike gear? What's the difference?

"The difference, as far as I can tell, is that the NCAA has done a wonderful job duping people into believing this multibillion-dollar-a-year industry is pursued for the sake of amateurism. It's a total sham. The coaches aren't amateurs, the administrators aren't amateurs, the corporate sponsors and media companies that make hundreds of millions of dollars a year on the backs of these players aren't amateurs. The only 'amateurs' involved are the guys doing all the work. Pretty nice racket if you can get it.

"The NCAA and ESPN are going to be telling you that some great kids are scumbags because they allegedly broke rules designed to keep them poor and implemented by people making money hand over fist. An ESPN shill in a $5,000 suit is going to ask you to morally condemn the kids who provide the framework for said shill to make enough money to afford that suit because those kids might have taken some free food and drinks. They're going to be called 'cheaters' despite the obvious fact that boat trips don't make you run any faster or hit any harder.

"Oklahoma gives Bob Stoops $3 million a year and nobody blinks. A car dealership in Norman gives [former OU quarterback] Rhett Bomar a couple hundred bucks and everyone wets themselves. Urban Meyer sat on TV this very day, making approximately $1,500 an hour to sit there and flap his lips, and was asked to judge a bunch of 20-year-old kids for allegedly accepting free food and drinks and party invites.

"Is that immense delusion intentional or do people actually not realize the hypocrisy they perpetuate?

"What's that you say? The rules are the rules? I call bull----. When the rules are propagated by the very same people they're designed to benefit, I say the rules must be independently justifiable. What is the justification for saying that A.J. Green can't sell his jersey? That he won't be an 'amateur' anymore? Doesn't the scholarship itself render him no longer an amateur by any objective definition? Doesn't the fact that Georgia spent hundreds of millions of dollars advertising itself to A.J. Green render him no longer an amateur? Doesn't he stop being an amateur when UGA promises him that his career at Georgia will net him NFL millions? Doesn't the fact that millions of dollars change hands thanks to the service he provides make him not an amateur?

"Is it because athletes should be treated like other students, lest they not appreciate the 'college experience?' Other kids get to sell their belongings, don't they? They get to go to parties and drink and throw themselves at women, don't they? They get to have jobs and earn their worth, don't they? And other kids don't spend 60 hours a week having their bodies broken or their spring mornings running themselves to death in the dew in the dark.

"It's nonsense. Unmitigated, indefensible nonsense. The players are ‘amateurs' for the simple reason that they're cheaper to employ that way. What is bad about giving a poor kid some money to spend? What is wrong with showing your appreciation for the service someone provides by giving them some benefit of their own? I'm supposed to believe it's wrong because the NCAA says it is?

"These players are worth far more than a free trip to the strip club and a trip around the bay on a yacht. A.J. Green is worth more to the NCAA and the University of Georgia than the cost of his jersey, and Terrelle Pryor is worth more than the value of a tattoo.

"I don't know much about players taking ]illegal benefits' and if I did I wouldn't be snitching about it like a lowlife, but I can tell you this: I hope to the bottom of my soul that every player in America is on the take, because they're getting shafted. The powers that be make too much money this way to ever change, and the rest of the country seems far too committed to delusions, institutional partisanship, and jealousy to see their own glass houses, so take what you can get while you can get it, youngbloods. You earned it."

Bates sounds like a whiny kid throwing a tantrum. The system is what it is, no one denies that big time college football is a business. Here's the deal though, lots of people are underpaid for what they provide to the bottom line, be it on a college football field or on some assembly line in St. Paul. You can debate the degrees of fairness or level of disparity but in the end, that is our system. The guys at Apple who developed the iPad don't make what Steve Jobs does. Maybe they are even pissed about it, but does that give them the right to abuse their expense reports and steal crap from the company break room? If these kids do well, they get more opportunity (NFL check). In the end Bates can complain about the value that Terrelle Pryor brought to OSU, but does he complain that Willie Mobley was not a good investment for OSU? Nope, he just wants to play the poor me/us card. Does he have a point that there is inherent unfairness in the system? Sure, but he should also remember that "capital" takes on the risks and expense when things don't pan out. The kid still can walk away with an education if he is smart enough to take advantage of it. Check out any study that gauges the value of a BA/BS over a HS diploma.

Top Bottom